When is the last time you used your CD/DVD/whatever-ROM drive?

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
burhanr said:
I use my CD/DVD drive every time I play a game. Don't see why it should be any other way.

*Throws on awesome glasses, plays some Makai Kingdom*

Vash108

Jul 18, 2008
I want to say it has been around 2 years since I have put anything in my CD/DVD rom. When I do game the majority of them have been downloadable. I have even re-purchased older games that have become downloadable so I don't have to keep up with digital media.

I think I have a problem though xD
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Vash108/games?tab=all

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Actually, just two days ago. I was feeling nostalgic and popped in my Age of Mythology: Gold disc for some good old Greek on Egyptians action. Darn, I love that game...

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Mine was apparently broken for nearly a year before I found out (I remember the accident that would have caused it, but only found out when I had my computer serviced for a different reason).

I told them to not fix it. So it's been about two years.

Lbsjr

Dec 29, 2010
Used a CD drive to install some drivers for my video card yesterday, and I used a DVD drive to install Starcraft II on my uncles machine when it came out last year... bit of a gap there....

maddness666

Apr 14, 2011
This morning, reinstalling Oblivion, before that yesterday, playing Deus Ex. I use my DVD drives frequently.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Half a week ago. I normally don't use it much. I mainly use steam and I don't play many odd games. Well I brought this new game (wasn't on steam).

I have gone months without using it.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
burhanr said:
kayisking said:
burhanr said:
Well, when?

I mean,
-Games are pretty cheap in steam, and you dont have to swap the cd if you want to switch games. Also.. *cough file hosting websites have a pretty good download speed these days, if you know what i mean.
-Most softwares that you really need to use are now available from/on the internet(google docs, skype).
-People who buy music (hah, thats a good one), would most likely bought it from itunes. LOL at popping an album cd just to hear it.
-[moar generic statement on how cd/dvd/whatever-rom drive is obsolete]
We do not tollerate pirates on the escapist.
oh er.. i have played and am still playing pirated games (omg, ban, hate, ban?).
i do not condone it in any way, nor that i am proud of it.

also i have recently started to respect the developers(who deserves it) more and got a job, and bought portal 2 and some other discounted decent games on steam.
games like human revolution, mass effect 3 and skyrim is on my buy list now.

OT: I used mine... about 4-5 months ago when i formatted this laptop.
Every developer should be respected. If you think the develepor is not worthy of your money, then you do not have the right to play their games. Sorry if I'm sounding condencending but this is just the way I see things.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
rockavitch said:
I'm using it right now to listen to a CD, believe it or not some people like to have a physical copy of what they bought.
Same here. I love having a huge CD collection. Sure, the first thing I do with a CD is upload it to my hard drive, but I still like having physical copies.

dillinger88

Jan 6, 2010
TheRooster64 said:
LimitedPunctuation said:
when i installed windows.
Same here
I installed windows off of a USB stick. Copied the contents of an ISO and used my own CD key that came with it. My DVD drive has been broken for over a year. I pretty much DL everything (LEGALLY)

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Yesterday.

I have most of my films and games on discs. I also don't have an external hard drive or a large pendrive, so I need to burn CDs/DVDs from time to time.

burhanr

Jun 7, 2011
wow, some pretty harsh anti piracy here in escapist. first forum ive ever into where video gaming is serious business and not mere child's play. i like it here. im an asian from what is probably a third world country, piracy is part of growing up.

no, i don't think piracy is right, but no i don't publicly condemn it, like other sensitive stuff which i think if i mention here will start a pretty fiery discussion. yep i am as guilty as an elderly pederast but i hope i can change from now on.

yes, i will buy my 'good' games from now on. for biles like dnf, i think i can live without playing it. for games with scores like 7/8, i guess i just have to keep myself busy long enough to not to download it off somewhere, i mean its not deus ex good right?

EDIT :aw... and come on, moderator wrath for admitting piracy? its like setting a leper on fire. I know leprosy is disgusting but at least you can just let him be, so he can die peacefully?

OT :i own a pocket external hard drive which i used to store/back up some stuff and i just never use cd for file storage any more. the drive is somewhat faster and have much more space. i thought everybody would do the same since it got pretty cheap recently. eh, proved me wrong.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
kayisking said:
oh er.. i have played and am still playing pirated games (omg, ban, hate, ban?).
A word of advice, you probably shouldn't say that on the Escapist.
I DID NOT SAY THAT!!! IT WAS THE OP!!!

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Yesterday. I don't use it every day, because most of my stuff lives on the various hard drives I have, and I only burn things to disc when I want to archive it, but I did use it yesterday. And the day before that. And the day before that. And even the day before that!