When was the last time something made you actually cry/tear up?

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I haven't shed a real tear in years. The last time I did, it was the night of the events described in this post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.399708-The-last-time-you-said-you-loved-someone?page=4#16416195]. The time before that was when I had some weird, spontaneous breakdown in sixth grade.

More recently, the end of Journey got me all misty-eyed. I don't even know why. I don't know what that game did to me, but it was wonderful.

Also, the furnace part in Toy Story 3. I honestly thought the movie was going to end there. If it were, my tears would have flooded the theater.

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
I haven't cryed in years, and I can't remember why I did last time. I'm a bit too stonehearted to cry over media, no matter how sad. That said,

A bit of me died inside when Ralph destroyed Vanellope's car.

That, and Abed's uncontrollable Christmas.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010

Read it recently, don't really know what to add. Spoiling if for any one who hasn't read it sure might get conversation going but I don't think that would be the right thing to do.

I also found more horror in this book that I would in many other media that is classed as horror, but that might just be me. Don't read spoiler if you haven't read ofc, read that damn book!

When the tele screen behind the painting mimics what they are saying, as you realise what has happened. Was one instance of such horror. Really hit me in a sweet spot that did.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I tear up really fucking easy.

Just reading this thread title already made me a bit moist. [sub]That... sounded a little bit dirty.[/sub]

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Might have been when I watched Tangled a few weeks ago. I don't remember, but I think I got a little misty-eyed.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Last time something in my general life made me cry was this morning, but that goes down a particularly whiny and pathetic route so I should probably say nothing more of it. As for media, being moved to tears is something very rare for me; in fact I believe I've only cried on two occasions thus far in my life, but there's a certain scene (or technically a collection of scenes I guess, but the last with the father in particular) in Midnight Express involving the protagonist's father that made me absolutely bawl my eyes out. Now I can imagine some of you might be reading this and thinking 'Seriously? You cried over that?' and whilst on its own merits it might not be all that moving, I guess the only way for me to explain it is that it just hit really close to home for me, so even if the rest of the film was shit (which it wasn't btw it was very good) that isolated scene so closely mirrored what I was going through a couple of years back that I would still remember it forever. That's not to say I've ever been apprehended by Turkish authorities on smuggling charges, obviously >.>, but basically if you've ever been in a position wherein you've seriously fucked something up as to leave you feeling completely and utterly despondent and your parents have been there to pull you out of the shit being entirely understanding, compassionate and forgiving all the while, then you'll know where I'm coming from and it'll probably hit you pretty hard too. It's just a really humbling and beautiful scene that makes you truly grateful for what you have, it makes me realise just how lucky I am to have the loving parents that I do and how often I take them for granted, even now.

I couldn't find a clip of it, but the scene(s) in question is roughly half an hour in and I'd definitely recommend giving the whole film a watch anyway, though I'd advise ignoring the comment section if you wish to prevent yourself from having an aneurysm. >.>

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well I re-watched the true ending of The Witch's House and it's just too evil and tragic and shit. It's better to experience it for yourself so i'll just leave this here.

Ok actual explanation

The real *witch* of the house is actually the player character. As detailed by various diaries the witch was a horribly sickly and ultimately bed-ridden girl stuck in her house. She became a witch before that by making a contract with a demon who promised he could get rid of her sickness.

Now she managed to get one "friend" who would visit her, named Viola. The witch (named Ellen btw) asked if they could swap bodies just for a day so she could go outside and be free of sickness for a day. Needless to say she had no intention of giving it back...

So to make sure stealing Viola's body wouldn't backfire she cut off her old body's legs, gouged out the eyes (not sure when this occured in the timeline exactly) then with Viola screaming with pain she gave her a throat burning "medicine" because she couldn't stand the sound of her own screams.

The game starts with the new "Viola" sitting in the garden of the house with a huge rose bush blocking the way out, forcing her to run the new trials of the house because new Ellen still managed to use some spiteful magic to trap her as she was in the old witch's body.

So you help this girl Viola escape this violent witch's house only to find that you helped the witch steal a new body and replace Viola and get off scot free. The game ends with Viola's father coming to "Viola's" "rescue" and shoots this disturbing looking legless, eyeless girl in the face. That's right the father unintentionally kills his daughter.

The last second of the the game is new Viola giving this silent evil laugh before walking out. What a *****

Well, at least it's not Mad Father. That true ending only makes more and more sense when I think about it. Doesn't make it any less disturbing and tragic though.

What is with all the RPGmaker games having depressing true endings now? Come on, getting the true ending is supposed to be nice like rainbows and sprinkles!

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Yesterday, dealing with some personal stuff, death in the family.

Marter said:
End of Watch.

I don't really want to reveal why (for fear of spoilers) -- and maybe I'm just too easy -- but I got fairly emotional while watching it.
That is not an easy movie to get through the end of without crying. That's the kind of movie that makes stereotypical manly men cry. They do a really good job of portraying realistic characters and making you emotionally invested in them. Jake Gyllenhaal may be an asshole, but he's a damn good actor.

The Goat Tsar said:
I recently played through the Walking Dead.

Yeah.

Leaving Andy St. John to die
Mercy killing Duck
Kenny mercy killing Ben
The ending, obviously
Yeah! wait... uh... really dude?

the murderous cannibal who lops pieces off of your friend? Who locked you in a walk in fridge with the intent to kill and eat you later? You cried because you left him to die?

lotrfanatic1

Jun 10, 2009
only 3 things have ever truly made me cry :

1 - Clannad anime
2 - Elfen Lied manga
3 - The Walking Dead video game

Y_Y still get teary eyed just thinking about them

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
I just watched the last episode of Blackadder goes Forth a couple of days ago. I already knew what was going to happen, but I cried, which I don't do very often.
I lost it, if not any earlier, at "I have... a plan, sir."
I am very disappointed that no one's mentioned this yet.

gazumped

Dec 1, 2010
kman123 said:
Most recently, the Disney short Paperman had me welling up a little, due to it's charm and heartwarming ending. And the music.

Great short, probably the best I've seen from Disney in a long, long time.
Same here, although actual tears down my face for me. I was ill and emotional yesterday, though.

It's been plastered all over the internet as far as I can tell but for anyone who hasn't seen it, here you go.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Chalk another one up for the end of The Walking Dead.

Daystar Clarion said:
Keep that hair short, Clem...
T^T

Also, I was off work ill for a couple of days last week. That means one thing and one thing only: another Firefly binge. I didn't reach the end of the series or The Message so it didn't actually get me going; but it was close. Close, man. I was choking back manly tears.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The last thing?

A couple of days ago while visiting family out in the country I came across a dying echidna [http://www.oceanwideimages.com/images/10582/large/short-beaked-echidna-24T5029-10D.jpg]

Since a dying animal is inevitable going to be eaten alive by a scavenger, swarmed by ants or torn apart by a dog, I decided that the kindest thing to do would be to kill it quickly.

All I had on me was a pocket knife and I don't exactly know much about echidna anatomy. It took several stabs to find the chest cavity, plus a couple to the throat to make sure and, believe me, the little creature was still alive enough to feel them.

I suppose I could have used a rock, but I simply didn't have it me to bring a blunt object down on that nosy little face.

I don't actually remember if I teared up, but I certainly wasn't happy about the whole incident.

Amaury_games

Oct 13, 2010
My girlfriend broke up with me in October, after 2 years and 8 months together. We would make our 3rd anniversary on this Monday. When she broke up with me, I cried like I've never done before and I'm still really sad.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I having a horrible day, and one of my good friends sent me a really nice and motivating message on Facebook. Almost made me cry.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
I cried in dune by frank Herbert when Paul and Gurney meet again after years and then again when Gurney threatens jessic and Paul talks him down, i thought they were well written and emotional scenes especially since Paul has becoming less and less human as the book goes on.

but then again i cry a lot, i am a massive jessy

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
The Walking Dead game.

Keep that hair short, Clem...

*sniff* T^T

Keep that hair short...

Best image EVER!!!! ^_^
From spirited away correct?
One of my fav movies :)