When was the last time you cried and/or teared up during a video game?

Nov 28, 2007
There is a topic similar to this on the off-topic board, but I want to focus on just video games, not all forms of fiction. And try to avoid derailing this into another "males/females are so emotional" discussion.

Personally, the last time I cried was during Aerith's death scene. Even though I knew it was coming, I was not prepared for the music and elegance of it. Last time I teared up was yesterday, playing Mass Effect. AA Tower/bomb site. If you've played the game, you know.

Takhisis

Feb 2, 2008
The good thing about video games in our era is that some games have such a bloody compelling story that it can actually touch your emotional side aside from oooo.....owww....damn that must have hurt

For me the last game that made me cry was Metal Gear Solid.....the scene with the death of Sniper Wolf....something about that scene and the way it was carried just made me so sad

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I might have, but can't remember, if I cried at the ending to HL2: Episode Two. I know some friends of mine admitted it felt really emotional to them.

Also, there's one scene in the first American Fire Emblem game (the one with Eliwood, Lyndis, and Hector) that's pretty surprising, revealing a number of things at once, and of course, a main character dies.

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
Never, then again I take most forms of media fairly emotionlessly on an outward level. Although I can be made fairly angry at the happenings in a game (which is probably closer to how I would really react if I was in the characters situation) I don't tend to find games instill sadness in me in the same way as films or books can, even then I don't tend express much to an outward observer. (Unless its saying "I want him to die" about a character)

Cooper42

Jan 17, 2008
I've felt fear, tension, anger, confusion and so forth. But can't think of any time a game has upset me.

Silent Hill 2 has to be probably one of the few games where I felt anything touching sadness - the whole game is chock-full of dispair and depression. The water ending (the first one I got before looking at any spoilers) didn't make me feel so much sadness as just depressed - a real kind of empty melancholy, a climax of a game full of empty melancholy really.

InsanityManifest

Nov 14, 2007
I find most games to be a melodramatic simply for the sake of being melodramatic. Especially JRPGs, but I have felt the need to tear up at certain moments in games. Probably the one that got to me was the death of Emma in MGS2. Mostly because I thought she had been saved, then she just collapses.

mastersppd

Feb 4, 2008
thebobmaster said:
Personally, the last time I cried was during Aerith's death scene. Even though I knew it was coming, I was not prepared for the music and elegance of it. Last time I teared up was yesterday, playing Mass Effect. AA Tower/bomb site. If you've played the game, you know.
I saw that one coming. I thought FFVII was crap. But I guess a lot of people like it. Plus it's funny how you said that was the last time you cried and then went on to say the last time you teared up was during Mass Effect. So which one is it buddy? Lol.

Anyway, tearing up during a game is cool... for chicks.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Never have, although Planescape: Torment's good ending has certainly gotten the closest so far. Like a sucker punch to the gut!

The Longest Journey made me feel really sorry for April Ryan at the end, but it never had any real tearjerking moments either. Close though.

portuga-man

Dec 23, 2007
Never :S

games bring up on me loads of emotions, but never sadness, nor anything like it. Too busy doing my victory dance when i get to the end of the game :p

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
Never cried during a game but have gotten kinda depressed. Probably the worst was on KotOR 2, shortly after getting Visas Marr dark side. Realized what I was doing, sat down and said "Wow, why did I just do that?" (I think I just killed a refugee on Nar Shadaa.) Stopped playing that character and never went back.

Nov 28, 2007
mastersppd said:
thebobmaster said:
I saw that one coming. I thought FFVII was crap. But I guess a lot of people like it. Plus it's funny how you said that was the last time you cried and then went on to say the last time you teared up was during Mass Effect. So which one is it buddy? Lol.

Anyway, tearing up during a game is cool... for chicks.

The way I look at it, crying is when you literally have tears going down your face, and tearing up is when your eyes are watering, but the tears don't actually come out.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
I tear ran down my check in the Mass Effect AA Tower/Bomb Site scene. For some reason i let Kaidan die both times.

The end of episode 2 almost made me cry. It wasent realy the event itself since i dident like the person in question, but Alyx sobbing and mourning realy made me feel watery.

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
Someone's already mentioned The Longest Journey, which is the only video game that ever got tears out of me (I've cried playing board games when I was little, but that's only because I was losing and throwing a temper tantrum).

It was at the very end, and I wasn't sad, but overwhelmed. Sorrow isn't the only emotion that can make a person cry. April had been through so much, and I'd identified with her so strongly. The bitter, frightened teenager had passed through the baptism of fire and become a hero. It's a frequently used cliché, but this time I bought it, hook line and sinker. Brought a tear to my eye, it did.

Ricky_Rio

Jan 6, 2008
mission 3 of homeworld... seeing your entire orbital fleet and planet getting cut to ribbons was just crazy

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
Jeeze, I forgot about Homeworld. When I played that I think I was 11 or 12, and at the time it was just a really cool cutscene. Now that I think back though, that was also sad. KotOR still takes the cake for me.