When was the last time you cried and/or teared up during a video game?

ultra_v_89

Feb 7, 2008
Surggical_Scar said:
Most emotional moment?

The Darkness, when Jenny takes a bullet right in front of you.

I practically dropped the controller, my hands were shaking so much, both out of sadness and sheer rage. That fat motherf*cker was gonna die.

Slow.
Absolutely, I was devastated at that, probably worse than crying...
I think that crying from gaming is a testimony to how immersive games are becoming, I mean, sadness is just another emotion, which can be expressed through crying but people are slow to admit they cried during a game, when they are quick to get angry or extremely happy over one. Graphics and story telling and character building make games far easier to get into and if people cry over movies all the time, then why not the far more interactive world of video gaming? That being said, I haven't cried in a game, just the devastation thing

Esta

Jan 2, 2008
A few parts in FFXII made me tear up.

Shadow of the Colossus. Such majestic creatures.

Wixern

Mar 3, 2008
I nearly cried at the ending in Lufia 2. Old, I know, but it's just too sad to see both main characters die and leave behind their baby, while everyone else speaks of the party they're going to have with those characters. Also, the music was extremely saddening. It's the only game that ever got me emotional.

Baba booey

Mar 4, 2008
Buying Drakengard 1 & 2 on ebay....why I didn't do 1 at a time...

And I've played a lot of long rpgs(ps2 mainly) and after getting all that time invested in them at the end it's like you want more, ya know? I'm not saying I cried but I get somewhat emotional.

Asymptote Angel

Feb 6, 2008
I don't remember ever crying at a video game, but they have hit a nerve with me here and there. The ending of CoD4 made me shout, "WELL, THAT SUCKED!" Such a ridiculous way to cut you off from characters that really grew on you. Mass Effect's characters got to me as well, but I didn't lose anyone who meant anything to me. Both of the KotOR games had some genuinely cool characters, too (HK-47 remains my favorite video game character of all time). Also, Silent Hill I and II made me feel bad for the protagonists, since they suffer so much and still have to keep moving on (III and IV didn't really bring out anything in me, and I didn't play Origins).

And it didn't make me sad at all, but BioShock really sent chills down my spine during the scene in Ryan's office. As strange as it sounds, the simplistic genius of it all really blew me away. It really got me thinking, which is something few games do. "Would you kindly"... brilliant.

ZwitterZwitter

Mar 5, 2008
The last time I remember outright *crying* at a video game was the first time I finished Grim Fandango. When Glottis finally said goodbye to Manny on the Number Nine platform I was a mess. :( Granted, I was about 12 y/o at the time but to this day I can never watch that cutscene without feeling a little sad.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
End of Half-Life 2: Episode 2.

Alyx weeping... Oh my, I still get choked up a bit just thinking about it.

HL2:Ep2 and the whole series lack of cut scenes and always keeping me in the first person really does set me up more emotionally than other games. Not saying First Person View is the only kind that can get me charged, some over the shoulder 3rd Person View games like an RPG where I let myself stop seeing numbers but play out a story, those can get an emotional response from me as well.

TheFitcher

Mar 5, 2008
Natural Hazard said:
Most recently Lost Odyssesy, the dreams can really crack me up and most of the story.
Yep, I was gonna say this. It's a bit cheap though... most of the dreams are:

"I knew this little girl... she died".

"I had a wife and kid... they died".

"This guy survied a war, was going home to his wife and child, took a bullet for me... he died".

I mean, considering it is just text, it's actually hard not to get emotionally affected as it's so easy to tie it with people in your own life. But then I well up at everything anyway, so yeah... (And not in an emo way either).

TheTakenOne

Dec 24, 2007
I got a little sad when Pelleas died in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Pelleas is unquestionably the most tragic character I've ever encountered in a video game, and what was supposed to be a noble sacrifice was for absolutely nothing. And yeah, I know he was a weak ruler and all that, but still, most tragic characters at least have a glorious end.

Braxxis

Mar 4, 2008
Way back when - I was uncovering a small chunk of map in Tibia and fell down a hole covered by a rock (Damn 2D piece-o-crap) inside huddled a red skeleton who was apparently stronger than the white skeletons that I had been bashing to bits in the dungeon before this and upon seeing my puny lv 12 character proceeded to sit me upon his spear and turn me into his new stick-puppet. After going back to get my stuff and dying four times in a row which made me lose just about everything, I just couldn't hold back the tears of frustrated humiliation any longer.

Zertel

Feb 28, 2008
amazed no one said Shadow of the Collosus. The fact that i killed 16 giant colossi, and got turned into a baby.. FF7 aeris's death, FFX tidus dissapearing in front of yuna's eyes.

One time i teared up of happiness in FF X-2 because i got the special ending and she found tidus again YAY...

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
In God of War 2, when you have that fight in the dark and you end up killing the spartan soldier from the beginning. And then afterward when Kratos sees his wife, but strangely that wasn't as bad.

MattyDienhoff

Jan 3, 2008
I don't remember any times I cried over a game (though that doesn't mean I haven't, I just can't remember).

Though I didn't cry, I came close to it at the end of Episode Two. It wasn't just that it was the death of a character I'd come to really like, it was so well done. The acting, the music...

The only other game moment I've seen recently that came close was the aftermath of the nuke in Call of Duty 4. The player character crawling out of the wreckage only to die from his injuries like hundreds of his comrades. It was sad, and it was scary. The main reason it affected me was that it could happen. Nuclear war is one of my biggest fears.

VRaptorX

Mar 6, 2008
Bishop99999999 said:
I felt worse after the end of FF7. Seeing the world saved and ending on that last shot of Aeris, basically right where we started, really hit home.
you do realize that she is the one that saved the world right? That pic was her in the lifestream controlling it. She basically became the goddess of the planet.

VRaptorX

Mar 6, 2008
OK....hold up...someone found Emma's death sad? All I was was pissed. I went through that sniping section just to learn Otacon's sex life?

usually games don't make me cry though...unless I'm terrified in which case...regenerators all the way. Damn their creepy sounds.