When was the last time you teared up in a game?

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
putowtin said:
RDR, riding home to the ranch with that music, and... we'll you know that bit later on
the shoot out at the ranch

oh and infamous 2 evil ending
making me kill Zeke broke my heart

I agree with you on the inFAMOUS 2 ending, god I couldn't hold back the tears

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Mass Effect.
When I had to pick between Ashley and Kaidan.

Modern Warfare 2.
When Roach and Ghost die. Yes, I know, I know. But I've found myself quite attached to the characters and their witty radio chatting. I really teared up the they died.

violent_quiche

May 12, 2011
Drakulea said:
"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2... it all seemed harmless"
This. Having autistic kids really rammed it home too, I seriously wanted a "100 Ways To Murder Archer" minigame to follow.

I had RDR spoiled for me but rather than surprise, the closing episodes were laced with nervous anticipation. While I would have preferred to go in cold, it was still effective. The song for his ride home was an unexpectedly touching as well, a nice Firefly-ish touch

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
(We get this topic pretty often. Just sayin'...)

Anyway, while plenty of games have taken a good ol' tug on my heartstrings, the only two have ever managed to elicit a moistening of the eyeballs

One was the ending to Ico. The part involving the row boat.

The other was the 'I remember Me' side mission in Mass Effect 1.

Gregg Lonsdale

Jan 14, 2011
The ending of Braid moved me (the actual gameplay ending, not the weird text logs)
And the ending of Half Life 2, ep 2.

kahlzun

Sep 9, 2009
Evil ending of InFamous 2. Sorry **** and ***, I couldn't back out by that point.

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
IzisviAziria said:
I don't think I've ever actually teared up from a game, but Red Dead Redemption came close. When you finish the first half and you're riding through Mexico, and that song is playing...

There's story stuff and context that goes into it, which I can't exactly remember since it was a year and a half ago but I remember that part made me really see how far games have come in the direction of being an artistic medium.
I get what you mean! I didn't tear up, but I thought it was so lovely and unexpected. It's sad they only did it once, but at the same time if they put unexpected music in regularly it'd have much less effect.
I'm not sure if I've ever teared up at a game, not that I'm an unemotional person (tv shows make me tear up and cry rather often) but there hasn't been a game to make me actually tear up. Been emotional a few times though. A few of them were in Red Dead Redemption actually - the side missions were pretty deep sometimes. When that guy, Sam I think, dies and you have to deliver his letter was quite sad, and when that man kills the woman who you helped save earlier (it's in Mexico, you take her to the convent and find out the man came and took her) that upset me a bit, I was a bit "WHY DID YOU HAVE TO KILL HER?" but I didn't tear up.
An emotional bit in Modern Warfare.
So yeah, the woman you put in the helicopter at the beginning, you just risked an extra few minutes in the city to save her life. You probably regret that. Walking/crawling around as your character dieing of radiation poisoning, is rather... harrowing.
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2S3N0uSSho&feature=related]
Also, my favourite ending scene from Heavy Rain, while not sad, made me emotional. It had a strong effect.
I think in this youtube video the sound is just a tiny bit out of sync, but oh well.
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw-hHjJYKOA&feature=related]
I know this sounds weird, but I once had a Sims family for ages, many generations, and I looked back at one of the old photos of when it was just a woman and her adopted daughter sitting on the kitchen floor together, and I was like aaaaaaw. So long ago. Then I lost of my Sims data, I think. Does anyone know if the photo album pictures save onto your computer?

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
The last and only time i cried in a game was in pokemon mystery dungeon:explorers of darkness.

however i did cry at the end of drawn to life 2, but that was due to anger.....i want to cut the person who wrote the second game...

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I have honestly never teared up in a game, although i have been immersed and felt emotionally attached to characters I never cried. Although the closest I have probably come would have been over the game Tale Concerto way back in PS1 days.