When/Where do you guys think the Death Penalty is justified, if ever?

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
It's probably been done before I know, but I'm interested.

So I just saw a thread about solutions for sex offenders, there were lots of gross kinda punishments for them, (now admittedly I didn't look very hard) but does anyone else think maybe we should just lock them up for life. As in for life, not a life sentence of 10 years.

And not just for sex offenders, but for murderers, rapists, etc. How d'you think they should be punished?

Personally I don't support the death penalty, I reckon they should be locked up for life. (as long as their crime is serious enough to warrant it) Of course there are exceptions like if someone was gonna slaughter a lot of people regardless of his punishment.

Anyway, how far d'you guys think far is, d'you believe in the death penalty (as long as the crime deserves, in your view, it) or other alternatives? Be as creative or uncreative as you like.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I oppose the death penalty very strongly.

It's just like murdering someone, just th equivilant of murder by the privellaged and powerful.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
LOLZ, that rapist thread got locked as it just became a breeding ground for sadistic fantasies... I sense this may go the same way?

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Disaster Button said:
It's probably been done before I know, but I'm interested.
It has been done before. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.94936]

But if this is just a general discussion thread rather than a thread focused on a specific part or augment about the death penalty, I wouldn't worry.

EDIT: Since I'm here, I may as well give my point of view. The death penalty is tricky, but theres a quote that sums up my feelings on it, incidentally it is the one from the previous death penalty thread.

"Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them?" -JRR Tolkin.

If it were ever to be used, then let only be on someone who was proven beyond any drought what so ever to of committed the crime. But what crime do I think deserves death? Genocide, and nothing else.

To be honest I'd never want to see the death penalty reinstated, but if it were then I'd only accept it under that term.

Also, I think letting someone die, even painfully, rarely makes up for their crimes. In the case of rape, murder, posting CP, and any other crime of that level giving them a quick death rather than a lifetime of prison, seems to me an act of kindness rather than justice.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
Death penalty=good. I think we should have something like the Judges from Judge Dredd. That would be so cool and would robably cut down on a lot crime
I can think of many worse things than the death penalty but last time i was put on probation for sharing XD

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
Actually had this discussion while I was in school, I can semi-agree with the death penalty, but it should be applyed to anyone with a murder charge(s) because I believe in an eye for an eye.

Dr. UBAR

Dec 24, 2008
A quite relevant quote, not sure who said it but "The big thieves hang the little ones".
So no, I don't support the death penalty in any form whatsoever. That would be mercy on them, they have proved that they deserve none.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
For crimes against humanity or if they've done something sick. Like rape. Those people don't even deserve to suffer a lifetime prison sentence. Just rid of them and move on.

iron codpiece

Mar 17, 2009
There's a dude round these parts who in cronological order
raped his stepdaughter(s) (who were 13 and 15 at the time) getting them both preggers.
Several years later after he got out of prison he kidnapped a 12 year old girl sexually assaulted her and bashed her head in. They found her body long after he was arrested for it.

He will be and should be getting the death penelty.

The above is a small sampling of his habitiual crimes.

hardlymotivated

May 20, 2009
I'm not sure whether others would agree with me, but as I see it, being forced to live out an entire lifespan with virtually no personal freedoms would be a worse punishment than a short, painless death. One would also have to deal with the guilt for their entire life.

Of course, I live in a country where the death penalty hasn't been used since the late '60s, so it's not a widely discussed issue over here, whereas some states in the US still use it. I'd be interested in hearing some serious pro-capital punishment arguments. I'd like to be a little more informed in what's involved before I can say whether I strongly agree/disagree with it.

As it currently stands though, I can't say I particularly like the idea of capital punishment, as it seems to follow the whole 'eye for an eye' idea, and that's not one I'm all that fond of.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I'm just wondering, for all you peeps who support the deaht penalty, if you're sentencing them to death then you're essentially comitting murder too. So shouldn't that mean you get sentenced to death also?

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Never.

Because of miscarriages of justice.

You can't bring a dead man back to life, but a man wrongfully imprisoned for half of their life can be given some form of compensation.

But people can never get this into their heads.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Disaster Button said:
I'm just wondering, for all you peeps who support the death penalty, if you're sentencing them to death then you're essentially committing murder too.
Murder is defined as one human killing another, so yes, yes they are. Does that mean it's always wrong, no, no it does not. Murders not nice, but I can still support it up to a point. Even evil can be used for good, and vice versa.
Disaster Button said:
So shouldn't that mean you get sentenced to death also?
Really by that logic shouldn't every soldier who's fought in a war get the death penalty?

Yankmy Armoff

Apr 22, 2009
i've always had an odd belief when it comes to criminals, those who remove or abuse the rights of others (murder, kidnapping, rape, child abuse etc) should lose those same rights themselves. maybe then they'll appreciate that what they've done has a lasting effect on their victims

remember, punishment is supposed to be a deterrent, it has to be unpleasent to work otherwise people have no reason NOT to commit crime other then their own conscience...

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
bodyklok said:
Disaster Button said:
I'm just wondering, for all you peeps who support the death penalty, if you're sentencing them to death then you're essentially committing murder too.
Murder is defined as one human killing another, so yes, yes they are. Does that mean it's always wrong, no, no it does not. Murders not nice, but I can still support it up to a point. Even evil can be used for good, and vice versa.
Disaster Button said:
So shouldn't that mean you get sentenced to death also?
Really by that logic shouldn't every soldier who's fought in a war get the death penalty?
I did say there was an exception, the soldier are (for the most part) defending a country from people who could kill a lot of people inside that country