When/Where do you guys think the Death Penalty is justified, if ever?

Lemeza

Jun 20, 2009
Killing or torturing people (like what people said about life sentences above) makes the governments' laws meaningless and makes them as bad as the criminal.

What about that guy who locked his daughter in his basement? If you locked him up in isolation you would be just as bad as him.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
For repeat killers/rapists/paedophiles etc, the death penalty is the fairest thing to do for the public at large. Isn't that what the law is in place to serve, to help the largest majority of people? Why should hard-working tax payers money be used to keep dangerous criminals alive? With the very serious criminals gone, the prisons would have more room to house those convicted of 'smaller' crimes.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
messy said:
bodyklok said:
Disaster Button said:
It's probably been done before I know, but I'm interested.
It has been done before. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.94936]

But if this is just a general discussion thread rather than a thread focused on a specific part or augment about the death penalty, I wouldn't worry.

EDIT: Since I'm here, I may as well give my point of view. The death penalty is tricky, but theres a quote that sums up my feelings on it, incidentally it is the one from the previous death penalty thread.

"Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them?" -JRR Tolkin.

If it were ever to be used, then let only be on someone who was proven beyond any drought what so ever to of committed the crime. But what crime do I think deserves death? Genocide, and nothing else.

To be honest I'd never want to see the death penalty reinstated, but if it were then I'd only accept it under that term.

Also, I think letting someone die, even painfully, rarely makes up for their crimes. In the case of rape, murder, posting CP, and any other crime of that level giving them a quick death rather than a lifetime of prison, seems to me an act of kindness rather than justice.
See I know what your saying but it'd be much more cost effective to kill them then leave them alive which would be a drain on that societies' resources. Although death doesn't appear to be as much of a deterrent because it's such a hard concept to install in people. I think what we need are prisons where prisoners are forced to work and minimum comfort is given
Doing what is right, is almost never the same as doing what is easy. I respect your position, but I don't travel the path of least resistance in life, I do what I think is right. Regardless of how hard it is.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Dr.Seuss said:
bodyklok said:
Disaster Button said:

But if this is just a general discussion thread rather than a thread focused on a specific part or augment about the death penalty, I wouldn't worry.

EDIT: Since I'm here, I may as well give my point of view. The death penalty is tricky, but theres a quote that sums up my feelings on it, incidentally it is the one from the previous death penalty thread.

"Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them?" -JRR Tolkin.

If it were ever to be used, then let only be on someone who was proven beyond any drought what so ever to of committed the crime. But what crime do I think deserves death? Genocide, and nothing else.

To be honest I'd never want to see the death penalty reinstated, but if it were then I'd only accept it under that term.

Also, I think letting someone die, even painfully, rarely makes up for their crimes. In the case of rape, murder, posting CP, and any other crime of that level giving them a quick death rather than a lifetime of prison, seems to me an act of kindness rather than justice.
^Well said.
Why thank you, I appreciate that.

TerribleTerryTate

Feb 4, 2008
avykins said:
I have no problem with the death penalty for rapists or murderers with one proviso. You can prove beyond any shadow of a doubt that they did it. If there were witnesses and video evidence and shit then yeah, there can be no doubt they did it so kill them. But do not keep them locked up for years doing nothing. Sentence them then take them out back and just fucking get on with it.
100% agreed. I see no point in keeping a Serial Killer in prison for 40-50 years until they die. As the quote above says, if you can prove without any doubt they are guilty, execute them.

Dr.Seuss

Jun 20, 2009
bodyklok said:
Dr.Seuss said:
bodyklok said:
Disaster Button said:

^Well said.
Why thank you, I appreciate that.
No prob. I call 'em as I see 'em. :p