When X-Rays And Gaming Collide

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
When X-Rays And Gaming Collide

Picture the scene, it's a rainy afternoon, you've completed every game you own, twice, and the only thing you have left to play with is an x-ray machine. What do you do? If you said 'irradiate the dog', you'd be wrong.

"As I looked down on the city, the streets seemed to stretch and twist, like the lines on a circuit board..." Wait, that should be the other way round, damn.

Ignoring the appalling hard-boiled fiction for a second, or longer if possible, a Dutch gamer has combined the disciplines of gaming and, uh, x-raying things in a fascinating art project.

Reintji, as he is known on Flickr, took an impressive collection of consoles, ranging from the retro Atari 2600 to the very current PS3, as well as a whole host of controllers and cartridges and subjected them to the penetrating rays of the upper end of the electro-magnetic spectrum.

The images are eerily compelling, reminiscent of city maps viewed through thermal imaging, and shows just how complex consoles actually are. You can view the entire gallery here [http://www.flickr.com/photos/ravanderende/sets/72157594368940565/].

By the way, the round thing in the gallery is a coconut, just in case you were wondering. Don't be afraid, it can't hurt you.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5236578/x+ray-console-quiz]

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Groovy. 'specially the Xbox 360 shot - you can almost see the faulty soldering!

Not sure why there's a coconut in there...

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
The Shade said:
Groovy. 'specially the Xbox 360 shot - you can almost see the faulty soldering!
Actually, thats an optical illusion. It makes you think there is solder inside, when there simply isn't! ;)

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Having dismantled a lot of these, it's weird to see them intact, and dismantled at the same time.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I wonder if a photogram of my clear N64 would look similar to that...

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Why did the Atari 2600 have so much empty space? Hadn't they heard of efficiency?
The 2600 had wood panelling, efficiency was pretty low on the list I think.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
nilcypher said:
The 2600 had wood panelling, efficiency was pretty low on the list I think.
What, really? I always thought that was just a joke older gamers made up. You know, "This system is so old its made outta wood".
Nope, genuinely had a wooden panel across the front.
First console I ever took apart, coincidentally.

Got the PS3 X-ray set as desktop wallpaper now, it partially satisfies my urge to strip my PS3 and see what makes it tick.
Probably will in 20 years time, when the price finally comes down enough to buy a spare.

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
Having dismantled PS2 controllers before, I've seen the circuits and whatnot, though these X-ray shots are beautiful.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
haha looked at the comments on the coconut one

"whats that thing?"

"coconut"

that just made me laugh