When you type "lol", "rofl", etc...

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
If you add "LOL" or "ROFL", I hate you...
LOL!, sorry.
i generally am having a giggle when i type it.....or when im being sarcastic.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
i'm not big on the msn "lol"ling. if i find it funny, i'll say "haha, that's funny" lol has been used so much it's lost all meaning, same as using gay as an insult, it doesn't actually mean you like to diddle the same sex, it's just a mindless retort now.

Amanov

Apr 22, 2009
I use "Pfffft" for something that makes me smirk, "Hahahah" or "Real-life lol" or "I actually laughed outloud" for something that makes me laugh.

Renikor

Mar 23, 2009
no, i actually find myself going LOL IRL!!!, which makes no sense but heh.

Spanner207

May 31, 2009
its sort of become a sort of connective... or a full stop...
i tend not to write write lmao or rotfl if i acctually laugh, lol just to make something sound less formal....lol

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
lol=general smirk or smile- sometimes i use -XD as well for variety's sake.
LOL= genuine laugh, or sometimes *is laughing*

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
I never really use those words 'cause they're stupid.
When I find something really funny I just go "Haha!" or something.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
Well when I type lol I'm either laughing or smiling at something said, though I don't think I've ever actually been rolling on the ground when I typed rofl, would be a bit hard to reach the key board.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
I usually use "lol" to represent a chuckly (on the rare occasions that I actually DO use it. Although I seldom type "rofl", it's generally to denote uncontrollable laughter.

-Orpheus-

May 5, 2009
I use lol very occasionally but only as a joke itself really or as a response to someone who lols a lot. That said sometimes you type a sentence and it is not clear whether it is serious or a joke or what. I have offended a few people that way and then had to spend ages explaining I was joking. These days I go for a simple :) at the end of a sarcastic comment to try and get the tone across.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I don't use "LoL" for this very reason. It's lost all meaning. I prefer just saying HA! when I hear something funny. Though some people think I'm be sarcastic, which 90% of the time I am.

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
JC175 said:
la-le-lu-li-lo said:
JC175 said:
Do you actually laugh? It's gotten to the stage for me where "lol" is simply a word to be inserted into a sentence without any meaning, and where "haha" signifies a small chuckle.

How about you guys?
first off, brett!! :D

second, yes i do, but usually feel the need to say 'i actually just loled.'

though i think lol and perhaps btw are the only two i use.

but in general conversation it generally implies that i've smiled/chuckled or thought it was funny.
It's actually "Bret" as far as I know, but yeah. Kickass show and all.
haha, I was actually going to quote the OP and ask, "Is that Bret?!"

Hmm, do I usually laugh when I say "lol"? Probably not. Usually, the only time I'm really laughing on the Internet is when I'm watching a YouTube video or something of the sort, and since I don't comment on those things they don't warrant a "lol" from me.

In the rare occasions on an IRC or something where someone gives a funny joke, I may, like the OP, give a "haha" for a laugh. Usually, the more "ha"s I throw in, the harder I laugh.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
traceur_ said:
I never type "lol" or it's bastard kin. If I find the humour noteworthy I will type a simple "ha" before continuing to type, if I chuckle however, a "haha" is usually typed.
Pretty much this. I OCCASIONALLY type lol, but I prefer "haha" or "heh"

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
i hate people who say "El-Oh-El" out loud. I don't care if they are girls, i still want ot hurt them!

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
The ironic thing is that I use them more in real life than on the internet. And yes, I do use them with a sense of irony and a lighthearted sense of humor.
AkJay said:
i hate people who say "El-Oh-El" out loud. I don't care if they are girls, i still want ot hurt them!
Those are the people who say it stupidly and unironically. As for which words work, Lol and rofl can work, but there was a girl who yelled O-M-G at my school and I yelled stfu back at her. The class laughed.