Where have all the Turn Based RPGs gone

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Try Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, it's easy to find and probably has one of the most engaging and satisfying turn based battle systems I've ever seen.

stephenp79

Aug 6, 2008
I for one like both real time and turn based rpgs. Can someone please advise if the current crop of turn based ones on the xbox 360 (lost odysy and blue planet) are worth playing. I generally found the turn based ones of old had more immersive stroy lines as theese were the selling point not the combat. I miss games such as Balders Gates Series, MorrowWind. I do find that some real time rpgs main objective ends up being looting/gaining better equipment. Whilst this can be addictive to a certain extent (particualry in mmorpgs) i guess my point is I dont really mind whether it be turn based or real time, as long as the story and characters are the main component of the game

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
stephenp79 said:
I for one like both real time and turn based rpgs. Can someone please advise if the current crop of turn based ones on the xbox 360 (lost odysy and blue planet) are worth playing. I generally found the turn based ones of old had more immersive stroy lines as theese were the selling point not the combat. I miss games such as Balders Gates Series, MorrowWind. I do find that some real time rpgs main objective ends up being looting/gaining better equipment. Whilst this can be addictive to a certain extent (particualry in mmorpgs) i guess my point is I dont really mind whether it be turn based or real time, as long as the story and characters are the main component of the game
Avoid Blue Dragon, play Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata.

shufflemonkey16

Mar 7, 2008
Lost Odyssey is turn based and it only just came out this year. So Turn Based combat isn't dead, it's just extremely ancient but somehow persists in gaming with the same formula as Pokemons red and blue.

Unfortunately, Lost Odyssey is impossible to beat so I'll never be able to write my review of it.

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
TheKbob said:
Everyone says buy a DS,... but most of the RPGs are CRAP on it except the new ones being released (Two Remake/ports and The World Ends With You and the kids version of FFtactics).

I suggest a PSP with Upcoming Star Ocean games, a Persona Game, another Final Fantasy and Parasite Eve even. I feel the PSP is going to be getting a lot more RPG goodness... Plus add in the fact you can import Breath of Fire 3 and Tales of Eternia, the latter being one of the best PSone RPG games available,... PSP is going to be far more win, at least for me, in terms of RPGs.

Wait...wha? The PSP is getting a Parasite Eve reissue?

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Not a remake, but the third (IE new) one. Was said at SE brief, news was on Kotaku a couple of days ago.

Russian Redneck

Apr 21, 2008
TomNook said:
Fire Emblem is your friend.
If you like Fire Emblem, you should definitely check out the Advance Wars games. They're developed by the same team who developed Fire Emblem and they follow the tried-and-true formula of having you and an opponent take turns moving your units around, strategically placing them in order for you to turn the fight around in your favor and presumably beat your opponent to a blood pulp. I has the same mechanics such as Fog of War, artillery cannons (replacing the archers), tanks and infantry (replacing knights and the like), terrain defense, and new sea and air units including bombers, fighters, battleships, and submarines. It's pretty fun stuff and the latest installment, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, is arguably the best in the series. The only real difference between Advance Wars and Fire Emblem - battleships and bombers aside - is that one has a more dungeons and dragons style to it whereas the other clearly takes inspiration from various modern and not-so-modern armies around the worlds, many of the units being styled after real-life things (for lack of better words ): ).

PedroSteckecilo said:
Try Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, it's easy to find and probably has one of the most engaging and satisfying turn based battle systems I've ever seen.
I support everything in this post. Do buy!

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
TheKbob said:
Not a remake, but the third (IE new) one. Was said at SE brief, news was on Kotaku a couple of days ago.
The other two are on PSP as well? (I'm not a big portable person, obviously.)