Where have all the Turn Based RPGs gone

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
turn based rpg's are mostly fading I think because of developers of rpg's tryign to attaract the MASSIVE fanbase of MMORPG's back to platforms and consoles. and umm yea thats abotu all i have to say about that. but it does suck tho. turn based for the win. the world needs a next gen turnbased NEW "shining force"

Cab00se206

Jul 9, 2008
Cab00se206 said:
My main beef with TBRPG's is that you don't play an active role in them.
Woe Is You said:
My guess is you don't like strategy games in general.
Quite the contrary, RTS is one of my favorite genres and I am eagerly awaiting Red Alert 3, which looks AWESOME. Perhaps I should rephrase my original point in that the problem was I felt it was like an RTS. Notice that, 'LIKE' an RTS, Except for the fact that all I did was move a glorified cursor round a text box. Also notice the "Real Time" aspect of RTS.

And all that damn waiting around while the characters were doing their special moves, it felt like I was playing Chess with someone who suffers from indecision. As well as that, the super moves were so ridiculous I felt like I was on an acid trip.

unholy vagrant

Aug 5, 2008
I think that was more the advent of action-rpg style games. Now, most rpg with turn based combat are considered old-school type games. Keep in mind that the video game industry is more or less all about what is new and now. After even two years a game or its gameplay can be considered old.

Birras

Jun 19, 2008
The major reason that turn-based RPGs have become less common is that once people saw the sucess of FFXII suck in people who previously hated the series, they thought "Hey, it worked for them, let's try it".

BBLIZZARD

Jun 19, 2008
Look at my picture. Need I say more?

Ok I will, Final Fantasy IV was the best game I've ever played. I guess I just like the game mechanics, but I can see how others may not. Now that graphics and controls are more forgiving to the player, and combat friendly, they figure they should use a more intricate combat system, but If some people want to still use it, fine. If some would have it done away with, that's cool too. I mean, hell, from the Dragonquest, Final Fantasy, etc. There's at least 10,000+ hours of that same combat.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Legend of Dragoon for the PS1 was a gem.

Also, I love turn-based gaming, but it seems like the only ones left are Final Fantasy and Pokemon.

Albel Huxley

Aug 6, 2008
Well if you really want to talk about TBRPGs try http://www.nma-fallout.com/ they do nothing but ***** about how Fallout 3 is not turn based. I like TBRPGs but it really comes down to tech and the market. "I HATE HALO and anything that looks like HALO." FPS are still fun but no more halo give me a game like KOTOR 3, Fallout 3, or fable 2 which are turn based for the most part like someone said up top.
The less micro management you need to do in an RPG like wait for your turn, remember you only have 8 action points, get hit (shot or stabbed), lose more HP than you can afford to lose per enemy turn, Look in your inventory just to see that you have no healing items or spells because of your team using them all up, to go back to waiting with 4 action points left till the next turn unable to do anything else "i.e. saving your ass," just to get your ass blown off bye the bad guy with only 2hp left and you with just about enough HP that his critical hit will knock of 10 HP more than you have to hell and back.

Eiseman

Jul 23, 2008
I agree with mark_n_b here, in that turn-based combat is best utilized in the strategy RPG's, not the console-style ones, as the selling point in turn-based combat is that you can take as much time as you like to plot out the best move possible. But in most JRPG's that use the game mechanic, the best option is, 9 times out of 10, to wail on the enemy with your big fuckoff swords or blast them with the tasty new spell you just bought in the previous town. In short, you've been using a dated battle system, designed around thinking and careful planning, to do just the opposite. It's just pointless having four characters stab a mutated vulture one at a time when they could all just go at once and be done with it.

To their credit, though, more modern turn-based RPG's are actually utilizing the turn-based bit with a good deal of polish, particularly in Final Fantasy X and Lost Odyssey, where enemies are actually strong enough to warrant some discretion. And although in FFX's case, not much thinking is involved as your battle plan is laid out in front of you with big neon-glowing signs (if there's a wolf, kill it with Tidus, if there's a flan, kill it with Lulu, etc, if there's a big ol' monster, summon an aeon, etc.), it still utilizes the turn-based aspect to a satisfying degree. And in LO, the regular encounters can flat out kill you if you make a big misstep. In fact, I'm seeing this in the new FF IV remake for the DS as well, which received a difficulty-smothered steroid injection. I mean, the original wasn't exactly turn based, but it still fell under the dated "whack things with swords until dead" routine, and that's definitely no longer true in this new version.

Huh, maybe turn-based combat isn't dying at all. Maybe it's finally evolving.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Everyone says buy a DS,... but most of the RPGs are CRAP on it except the new ones being released (Two Remake/ports and The World Ends With You and the kids version of FFtactics).

I suggest a PSP with Upcoming Star Ocean games, a Persona Game, another Final Fantasy and Parasite Eve even. I feel the PSP is going to be getting a lot more RPG goodness... Plus add in the fact you can import Breath of Fire 3 and Tales of Eternia, the latter being one of the best PSone RPG games available,... PSP is going to be far more win, at least for me, in terms of RPGs.

Already enjoyed Jeanne D'Arc, have Disgaea, FFTactics, and Brave Story. Gurumin, as well, but it's more like Zelda.

Edit: More Tales games, as well, plus Patapon. Patapon is sort of turn based rhythm strategy RPG. It's pretty genre defying, I think. My fave game on the DS was elite beat agents, which I thoroughly trashed on all levels :D

KasaiAisu

Jul 22, 2008
BBLIZZARD said:
Look at my picture. Need I say more?

There's at least 10,000+ hours of that same combat.
Thats about a year of straight gaming, no breaks...

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I never had problems with turn based battles. To me it boils down to how patient your are, I mean really, yes it's not realistic or super interactive, but dont fix hat isnt broken. I'v bin playing RPG's since FF1 and every RPG changes up the core concept of turn based combat slightly, I hope they never go away, because they can still be fun if you have patience and not be so much of a sticker for realism. I never found it as annoying as random battles either...hell i didnt mind random battles either, back then it was the only way to do it under certain circumstances.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Fire Emblem is your friend.
Actually, Fire Emblem is a bastard and will stick a knife in your back in any way it can, especially by giving you a run of crappy level ups making one of your characters so far behind the power curve you might as well not bother trying to use them, or cheating even more blatantly than usual on Fog of War maps.

Disgaea is your friend.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Persona 3, of which the extended edition, FES, came out early this year. Persona 4 is also slated to be released in the US in December.

For the PS3 you have Disgaea 3 coming out in about a month, followed up in a few more months by Valkyria Chronicles. VC is a very unique one... SRPG, turn based but no grid; part Ring of Red, part Call of Duty.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Goddamn, there's already like 5 "Turn Based RPG" Threads on this forum, this is likely gonna get locked

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Fire Emblem is your friend.
Actually, Fire Emblem is a bastard and will stick a knife in your back in any way it can, especially by giving you a run of crappy level ups making one of your characters so far behind the power curve you might as well not bother trying to use them, or cheating even more blatantly than usual on Fog of War maps.

Disgaea is your friend.
I'll add the fact that a character dying = DEAD. Now realistic, sure, but you are in a world with magic and revive spells and you're telling me I can't cast it? GRRRRR.

Disgaea, thirded, forthed, or w/e it's on now.

Goenitz

Jul 22, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Goddamn, there's already like 5 "Turn Based RPG" Threads on this forum, this is likely gonna get locked
Yep, i can practically hear the key turning.

Vaynes

Mar 20, 2008
Have you had a look at atlantica online? http://atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/center/default.asp

Its a free to play turn based MMORPG where you control a party of up to 9 mercs. Each turn allows you 30 seconds to select your attacks/magic/movement for up to 5 of your mercs. It's got a very strategic battle system and is really enjoyable for a freebie.

Its currently going into the second phase of closed beta in a day or 2, keys are available from http://www.warcry.com

At least they were for the last closed beta...

I'm currently playing the first euro Fire Emblem on gba between beta sessions to give me my fix of TBRPG