Where in the timeline is zelda breath of the wild

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
So I was looking up theories on where in the timeline the new zelda game is and it seems the major theories are that it is after OoT in the timeline where link looses to Ganon or at some point after the WW.

The biggest thing that seems to draw people to it being after WW is that the Kokiris have evolved over time much in the same way they did in the WW. Personally I agree with this theory though I don't think it happened after the great flood. A lot of people have pointed out that it was said in the WW that no hero came forth when Ganon came forward after OoT. My theory is that a Link did come forward between OoT and WW just he was defeated by Ganon and died. So basically I think you are going to loose to Ganon at the end of this game and it will lead into WW.

Where do you guys think the new Zelda is going to sit on the timeline?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
the correct answer for the Zelda timeline will always be "who cares!"

but as a huge Zelda fan myself I'll humor the thread and say that from what little we've seen this seems to be more a sequel to Spirit Tracks.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
I?m gonna be the crazy person here with a batshit insane idea. The characters, the location, the landmarks? All of it makes me think this is the Convergent Point in the time lines. Just as Ocarina of Time was the Divergent Point in which we got three separate time lines, Breath of the Wild will be the Convergent Point for all three timelines.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
InsanityRequiem said:
I?m gonna be the crazy person here with a batshit insane idea. The characters, the location, the landmarks? All of it makes me think this is the Convergent Point in the time lines. Just as Ocarina of Time was the Divergent Point in which we got three separate time lines, Breath of the Wild will be the Convergent Point for all three timelines.
Now that would be something unexpected! What makes you say that? You have me interested now XD

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
BaldursGateTemple said:
My first initial reaction when I saw the world was that it takes place in the original Hyrule after the floods from Wind Waker have receded. There is moss on mountain tops and in high elevations which leads me to believe this. Why would the flood have receded though is beyond me.

Someone brought up an interesting theory that it takes place possibly after Zelda 2 Adventures of Link. In that game I believe that period was known as "The Decline" or something, which is a very good educated guess on when Breth of the Wild takes place. Zelda 2's Hyrule seemed pretty desolate as well.

We will soon soon. This game looks fantastic.
I have seen a few people saying it is after Zelda 2 as well because of the desolate nature of the game but I am not 100% convinced this way. The moss on the mountain tops isn't something I knew about but that definitely hints towards the WW timeline for sure!

Jan 27, 2011
People were saying it's got Koroks in it, so it's likely after Wind Waker.

Maybe it's waaaaaayyy in the future after the flood recedes and Link is going back to explore the ruins of hyrule?

It would certainly explain why the Master Sword in the title is rusted and chipped. :p

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009

We know two important game lore facts that narrow the choices down, Hyrule was established and the Master Sword is resting in its pedestal in the Sacred Grove / overgrown Temple of Time. The fact that Hyrule was established means it can't directly follow Skyward Sword since that doesn't happen for some time after. I don't see it being in the Adult timeline since its use in Wind Waker ended with it embedded in Ganondorf's face underwater, not in the Sacred Grove / Temple of Time.

This leaves two possibilities, the Hero Defeated and Child timelines. Both are possibilities with geographical ties to both; the twin peaks from the original game's artwork at featured in the game (as well as having the technology connection to Miyamoto's original concept for Zelda 1). The Bridge of Eldin is seen in trailer and the Sacred Grove that the Master Sword is in resembles Twilight's.

I'm leaning a bit more towards the end of the Child timeline since we did see the beginning of technology in Twilight Princess some but it's a coin flip for me really. Koroks I know might hint at Wind Waker but they evolved from the Kokiri so I could see them doing that again in the Child's timeline.

I would like to see them make this a convergence since it'll make life easier in the future rather than the split timelines.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wait, ANY Nintendo series has a timeline?! I thought they just made new games and couldn't care less about how it relates to the other titles. Thus Link always using the Triforce to save Zelda from the same 2 or 3 badguys.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
who cares where it is?

why are Zelda enthusiasts so desperate for their series to have a set timeline? Mario fans seem to get on ok without needing one.....

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Yoshi178 said:
Silentpony said:
Wait, ANY Nintendo series has a timeline?!
Metroid says hi.
Those have a timeline too?! I thought they were just awesome games about shooting aliens. I mean you lose your equipment every single time. You'd think if Samus had been in each one she'd have duct-tapped the rockets to her arm or something.

Jeez, what's the Mario Timline? Or Pokemon?

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Silentpony said:
Yoshi178 said:
Silentpony said:
Wait, ANY Nintendo series has a timeline?!
Metroid says hi.
Those have a timeline too?! I thought they were just awesome games about shooting aliens. I mean you lose your equipment every single time. You'd think if Samus had been in each one she'd have duct-tapped the rockets to her arm or something.

I can answer for Pokemon. This is a tweet from one of the directers of the series:

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Silentpony said:
At the very least Gold/Silver are 3 years after Red/Blue

To humour the thread: I say it is a dream, just like Links Awakening.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Silentpony said:
Mario doesn't have one.

Pokemon is linear... Gen 1 > Gen 2 > Gen 3 and so on.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Silentpony said:
Metroid has arguably the most well-defined timeline [http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_timeline]. However, I remember Other M causing people to question things about it. I believe most just wrote that off as more bad writing from a game they're unlikely to replay ever again.

Jeez, what's the Mario Timline?
There's been speculation (some better than others), but I don't think Nintendo has made anything official statement. If there is, it certainly is not as big a deal for everyone as the Zelda timeline.

Silentpony said:
I thought they just made new games and couldn't care less about how it relates to the other titles. Thus Link always using the Triforce to save Zelda from the same 2 or 3 badguys.
If it makes you feel better, that's still a theory I come across. Some believe that the timeline was just Nintendo appeasing those who kept asserting there was one, and some just flat-out reject the official timeline because they don't like having a rigid one. Personally, I like to think of it more as an evolving story as told by different people at different points in history. I know that that isn't official, but it certainly is preferable to me than thinking of it as an actual timeline of events.

Overall, like others have said, "who cares?" Most people never think of it as a timeline, and those that do either don't know what it is (just heard about it on the Internet) or are Zelda's biggest fans.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I am surprised how easily people here are dismissing the timeline. When you play the games if you look you can find tons of references to other games they are just subtle. Some of the easiest find were in Wind Waker. You literally meet the Great Deku Seed all grown up. There is also windows in Hyrule with all the sages from OoT. These are just two between those games off hand. There has been tons of other clues and references throughout the series between all the different games. Not to mention people like it because it adds a greater depth to the series allowing you to get more attached to what is going on rather than just going through the motions.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
My guess is that it takes place in the Wind Waker branch of the timeline, post-Spirit Tracks. I say this becayse:

a) Koroks exist. Hyrule being flooded is the catalyst that allowed them to exist.

b) It has to be after New Hyrule was established, since the land in the trailer is called Hyrule.

So, yes. Post-Spirit Tracks, post-Hyrule's collapse.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Zelda doesn't have a timeline. Any timeline you try to construct will have at least half a dozen titles that don't fit.