Where is the hype for Counter Strike: Global Offensive?

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011

Valve is releasing a new title, I would have figured their would have been more excitement for it. It looks like a lot of fun.

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
Probably cause all it really is is a graphics overhaul of counter strike: Source. I have the beta and I've played a couple hours. Really not much different at all. Although it will come on consoles so that's kinda of exciting.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
This is a rehash of a game that ceased to be relevant 10+ years ago, unless you live and die by e-sport standards...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Well, I can't even play the dang thing on minimum settings despite having a high end computer. I've been told that TOR is much the same way because it was optimized for older computers so newer ones can't run it.

It's like consolitis except with PCs.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
"New" title... well the hype is lost in the fact it's actually not, as a fan of the old one I was very much looking forward to what crazy new things the Valve cooperation will bring.
Sadly it brings nothing, it's the same old game in a new engine, I'm sure that is just how the e-sports guys wanted it but as a regular player I need something more to tickle my fancy, let alone spend money on it.

Insomniac55

Dec 6, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Well, I can't even play the dang thing on minimum settings despite having a high end computer. I've been told that TOR is much the same way because it was optimized for older computers so newer ones can't run it.

That... doesn't really make sense. I've got a midrange gaming laptop, and it runs it fine (as expected). Sure there's not something else wrong? Games optimised for old PCs still tend to run faster and faster on new PCs, barring hardware or software incompatibilities.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
People are mad this is a reskin of Source, yet Nintendo shits out streams of Mario and Zelda clones year in, year out, making bank.

Video games community, you so weird.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
It's a good re-release of an old game. It's great because it allows new players to get into the game without being put off by terrible graphics and it's great becuase it's coming to consoles. I will be getting it at its low price point. But after all is said and done, it is still a re-release. (only reason i would ever get excited about a re-release is if it was coming to PC from and older console)

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
People are mad this is a reskin of Source, yet Nintendo shits out streams of Mario and Zelda clones year in, year out, making bank.

Video games community, you so weird.
1: Nobody is really mad. It's just that nobody cares. It's counter-strike with better graphics and on the source engine. CS is still popular, but it's not the hype machine it once was. It's not anger. It's indifference.

2: Zelda and Mario make various new levels with varying mechanics across new systems. The games are high quality and while not particularly earth-shattering in terms of how different they are, there's usually enough content to at least justify the price of the game.

CS:GO is literally just CS with an HD update. Nobody is claiming otherwise. There's nothing wrong with that. But there is in fact a difference between a sequel and an HD update.

For comparison: Mario Galaxy 2 was just more of Mario Galaxy 1. Counter Strike Global Offensive IS just Counter Strike.

Also, unrelated: It's nice to see Valve selling this game at a lowered price. Perhaps more people should take this lesson to heart...

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
Kopikatsu said:

Dude you got a problem there somewhere, I get 200 FPS on

i5 2500k @5 GHZ
GTX 670
other good shit

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
It's really just a retexture of Counter Strike: Source, one of the most absolutely terrible first person shooters I've ever played. The people who will be buying the game are Counter Strike fans and pretty much nobody else.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Like most have said already, it's not really a new game so much as it is, a HD remake. While it may or may not be fun, it's no Half Life 3.

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
Put it this way I played css for years in leagues and cups and for me and alot of the people I have asked in the e-sports side of the scene the game is terrible.

1. They have lowered the skill ceiling in this game making it more like cod.
2. They have some how ruined the movement and recoil for this game also.
3. They have also destroyed two great maps(train and nuke)

Everyone I know is either playing fps games casually and playing cod and bf or playing e-sports and sticking to cs 1.6 and css.

Most of the money is in 1.6, lol and sc2.

So even the counter strike fans don't like the direction this game is going.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
There's really no hype because it's the same old counter-strike that everyone knew and loved...10 years ago. Valve honestly missed the boat when it comes to military shooters. They had a huge window where they where Counter-Strike was the king and they didn't do anything with it.
Don't get me wrong Counter-Strike isn't a bad game, it's just an aged game. If people haven't played counter-strike already considering it has been out of so long, I really don't see them suddenly dropping $15 on CS:GO.

drosalion

Nov 10, 2009
There's no hype for it because its literally Counter-Strike:Source just retextured/tweaked to be a console port to bring CS to the console generation.

Matthew94 said:
xTc212 said:
Put it this way I played css for years in leagues and cups and for me and alot of the people I have asked in the e-sports side of the scene the game is terrible.

1. They have lowered the skill ceiling in this game making it more like cod.
2. They have some how ruined the movement and recoil for this game also.
3. They have also destroyed two great maps(train and nuke)

Everyone I know is either playing fps games casually and playing cod and bf or playing e-sports and sticking to cs 1.6 and css.

Most of the money is in 1.6, lol and sc2.

So even the counter strike fans don't like the direction this game is going.
So basically:

"the game is different from what I'm used to, this will require me to change my strategy from the same thing I've played for years and I'm not happy about that"

That's what I read when you "pros" complain. I seem to recall the same arguments being thrown at CSS by 1.6 fans.

Oh well
Everything he said there is right, but it is also completely true that the same things were said about CSS compared to 1.6 (those things were right too). This is a bad competitive version, of a worse competitive version of counter strike.

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
It's not that at all. This is one of the best fps games for competitive gaming. If you want something different play a different game that's fair enough. but counter strike was made for the e-sports side in mind, hence why when creating this game they invited alot of pros from around the world in a closed beta to test it.

Its also because of games like cs 1.6 and starcraft that gaming lans became so big. and sponsor ship deals came into it.

I'm not saying that they should keep it the same. They should add new maps and add the features and game modes that's fine but why slow down the movement and make it like all the other slow and sluggish shooters of today. One of the things that made css and 1.6 good was its fluid movement.

Also lowering the skill ceiling is a bad move for a game made for e-sports.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Meh it looks OK, but I already have CS:S so I don't really have a need for this. Doesn't look all that different to me in all honesty.

Also why are they still using the same crappy voices? 'Fire in the hole!' Those voices suck and it comes off as cheap