Where is the sexism in GTAV?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008

I just cant see it. I mean, for all the criticism that it got I was even suprised at how much downplayed it was in comparision to how everything else is represented (the only jew in the game only cares about money, all black people are gangsters, etc...).

GTA is a satire therefore everything is supposed to be a stereotype (a representation of the way society sees others), being Trevor the aversion of that for comedic reasons (he is everything a canadian stereotype isnt).

With that said there is a lot of variety in female characters even though everyone is always saying that all there was was strippers, bimbos and feminists. Did they even played the game more then the first few missions, like they dismissed whatever else the game showed based on the first set of characters (the wife, the daughter and the aunt)?

There are a lot of female characters that are very different from that and most of their personal problems (everyone has a problem) isnt related at all with their gender (a daughter of a mob boss being the target of a hit because of his dad). And did they forget about Maude, the crackhead Tonya, or Molly? Sure the game has a lot more male characters then females but its a very traditional crime story and that shit even in books is like that.

There is also that whole thing about how the game world treats men nicely and shits all over women but I really dont see how it treats men nicely at all as the game just told me that if I dont have a big dick I am not a man. Didnt they see that too or were they so focused on the "insults" purely meant for women?

I just dont get all that criticism, thats all, and if I was part of Rockstar's team I would feel insulted to be called sexist for something so obviously satirical just because they chose to not see the entire thing (yet treat it as such).

And I am sorry for making a thread about sexism (god knows we dont have enough of those here lol), I really am but I just had to do it, sorry Escapist.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Full said:
I think we've had this thread already. Just seems like it. Anyway I'll feed it and inb4 just because it's satire it doesn't excuse it.

Sexism? It's there. Oh yeah, it's totally there. Not hate-fueled, mind, which I think is the important thing to take note of here, it's not trying to bring down feminism or is very anti-feminism at all, but saying "where is it" just because it's under the guise of satire doesn't FUCK I BROKE MY OWN INB4.

Ehg... fine... just because.... it's under the guise of satire... doesn't... *cringe* ... excuse it. Saying you're totally kidding doesn't make what you said not happen, it's still more of the same at face value no matter the context etc etc etc. I think that's all the criticism.
But they do it for men too (and transgenders for that matter), so if you make fun of all how can you be one sided? Its not really just about it being satire since even if it was but entirely directioned at a particular gender or ethnic then that would be sexist/racist too

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Find me a single woman in GTA V that isn't a caricature of women in relation to men and we can start talking about if it is sexist or not. The bigger problem isn't the portrayal of the women in the game (because, as the OP mentions, everyone is portrayed in a bad light in GTA V) but rather how seldome women show up in the game at all. This is a game that's supposed to be a defining piece on life in America post-Lehman Brothers crash and yet it only barely passes the Bechdel test because Traci and Amanda talk to each other in one session with Friedman. No woman in the main cast has much definition beyond being "bitchy aunt", "unfaithful wife" or "daughter on the slide", and the thing all those descriptions have in common is that they seem only to exist in relation to the male protagonist and any character "development" they do takes place in their relation to the protagonist trio.

I can excuse the satire even at its' most heavy-handed. The almost complete omission of women from the main story (except as plot decoys) and the utter lack of any well-defined woman that isn't solely characterized by their relation to the protagonists is far more damning to a game with such an otherwise diverse cast and several dozen hours worth of recorded dialogue. That, my friend, is structural sexism at its' finest, when we don't even react to the almost complete exclusion of one gender from mainstream media.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Gethsemani said:
Find me a single woman in GTA V that isn't a caricature of women in relation to men and we can start talking about if it is sexist or not.
That Kifflom woman, Maude, the daughter of the mob boss, the soup hippie, to some extent Tonya (she is mostly a caricature of a crackhead) and I am still just at 40% in the game. There are plenty of women that are there for what they are by themselfs.

And every supporting character exists to support the main characters, thats why they supporting characters and the others are main characters, even other male characters only have character development in relation to the main trio.

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
josemlopes said:
Gethsemani said:
Find me a single woman in GTA V that isn't a caricature of women in relation to men and we can start talking about if it is sexist or not.
That Kifflom woman, Maude, the daughter of the mob boss, the soup hippie, to some extent Tonya (she is mostly a caricature of a crackhead) and I am still just at 40% in the game. There are plenty of women that are there for what they are by themselfs.

And every supporting character exists to support the main characters, thats why they supporting characters and the others are main characters, even other male characters only have character development in relation to the main trio.
I'm with this all the way. All this clamoring for deeper female characters in the game...for what? They're not the focal point of the story. This is just a case (as is usually the case) of people whining for the sake whining and wanting for the sake of wanting, just for the fact that it's not there...even when there's a legitimate reason for "it" not being there.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Gethsemani said:
Find me a single woman in GTA V that isn't a caricature of women in relation to men
Find me a person in GTA V, a single person, that is a realistic person.
Exactly.
I couldn't find any sexism in this game, satire or not. None of the characters in the game are good characters (as in good/evil, not badly written or anything) and since most of them are men, take from that what you will.