Where not to go in a(n zombie) apocalypse

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
I'm assuming these are slow zombies and not fast ones. 'Cos if they're fast, I've got no chance of getting anywhere without being caught on the way.
If they're slow, though, not many people are actually gonna get caught. The danger of the slow zombie is their numbers, and assuming there aren't a load of people in a cramped area at the beginning of the outbreak, the first coupla zombies are gonna have trouble infecting anyone else. I would probably stay where I am in university halls, since I live in a tower. Plenty of people to shack up with, a food source nearby, it's actually kind of self-contained and good luck using the lift/ getting up the stairs, zombie bastards. There's even a gym on the site so we can go and train ourselves - it has a few things we could use as weapons.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Well my plan would be to first see if Kmart isn't already swamped by looters already.(since I live right behind it) If it is I'll just go over to one of the at least two hardware stores within a mile of my house. After stocking up on some supplies and weapons I'd go find a taller building to hold up in and possibly team up with some other survivors until help arrives.

Although if we're talking Left 4 Dead type zombies I think that most of our plans just got shot full of holes.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I know I wouldn't be heading downtown that's for sure. To the woods with some buddies I would go, I know people who stay away from areas that are high traffic and are unlikely to end up infected for that reason, and I live on the outskirts of town, we could easily pile into his car and head for the woods with some guns and a big pile of ammo, I figure we could fairly easily live off of the land and wildlife pioneer style for quite awhile if we needed to, we aren't the useless types, we're all quite handy.

Dunno how long we would last realistically, but that really depends on a huge number of factors that I have no way of predicting, like how many other people would have the same idea, how long until the zombies started to roam the woods, and how many of them... that sorta thing.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
Initially somewhere as far away from other people as possible. Due to the rather selfish nature of our society people would react based on self-serving, gut reactions rather than with logic or reason.

Then somewhere as cold as possible.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I am lucky in that I live in Edinburgh which is right by the sea, so my first inclination would be to find a decent sized boat, anchor just a short way out to sea, but enough that if something went tits up. There are plenty of shops down by the sea as well so when I'm low on supplies I can make a short run to the ASDA or Ocean Terminal...

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
According to "The Zombie Survival Guide" the smartest thing to do in a Zombie Apocalypse is to immediately leave the city with a bicycle, basic camping supplies, and a melee weapon; guns should be your last resort because they are the zombie dinner bell.

Stay quiet.
Stay out of sight.
Get the fuck out of dodge.
Then get on your bike.

saints1544

Nov 23, 2009
Some of you state you would go to a farm in the middle of nowhere.
1) A lot of survivalists will have that plan and....
2) Odds are the outbreak hasnt reached there so are you going to try and kill the resisdents and take their land or plead to let you stay with them.

If you came to my farm, I dont know how forgiving I would be, especially with supplies running low. You could be making your deathbed by trying to go to a farm.....

More of you state Hardware store, warehouse, etc which have one major flaw(most of the time), they will be in a city or higher population area. That = more zombies.

After my farm is overrun with the Z-words, I will be taking off to the woods/forests of the Midwest.

In my survival kit will be:
1) Small 2 person pop-up deer blind. Camo so hidden easily. Pop-up for quick setup and takedown. Waterproof.
2) Compound Bow and arrows. Reusable for hunting alive or dead.
3) Machete, hatchet-hammer, multitool, small bolt cutter, knives, Magnesium Flint Fire Starter
4) Water-filter bottle so I can boil water and filter for drinking, canned food

With all that in 1 or 2 backpacks, I can stay in the woods/forest for quite a while and hunt squirrel/deer/rabbit for extra food.

Mar 9, 2010
A school. It has food, basic medicines, lots of space, gym equipment like hockey stick and rugby rucking shields to use as weapons; you're pretty much sorted. The school may or may not be dangerous though, there could be no one in or it could be filled with zombie children.

I might make a shop run before heading there but that would depend on how everyone found out about it and how dangerous it was.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Ptsh, I have a rather extensive zombie defence plan, mainly because I live in a small out of the way fortified tower block with many metal doors and only one thin corridor to get to us. In the event of the Zombie apocalypse, we murder everyone else in the building, use all their furniture to barricade the hallways. Then put their bodies on deep freeze in order to use as bait if needs be when we go for supplies. Being in the UK guns are pretty much out of the question, but we'd be so well held up that we wouldn't really need any, there's no way they're getting in here. You also get a massive field of vision, allowing you to survey the area really easy.

We have easy access to the roof, so we can collect rainwater, we can construct a diesel powered generator for electricity, have a multitude of melee and makeshift weapons, access to other buildings roofs if needs be, and the bmw of one of the residents we can steal if we need to make a break for it.

Due to us being so holed in, we just wait it out till most of the place is dead or zombified, then just scavenge the surrounding areas for food. Once we run out of feasible places to raid, we take the beamer to a farmhouse where we meet up with a few friends who also have an extensive zombie plan we've factored into ours, then start a new utopia.

Of course if they're fast zombies, I'm staying in the fucking tower block.

The Unworthy Gentleman said:
A school. It has food, basic medicines, lots of space, gym equipment like hockey stick and rugby rucking shields to use as weapons; you're pretty much sorted. The school may or may not be dangerous though, there could be no one in or it could be filled with zombie children.

I might make a shop run before heading there but that would depend on how everyone found out about it and how dangerous it was.
Yeah I considered a school once, but you're right it could be filled with zombie children. Plus they tend to have quite a lot of maze like corridors and multiple entrances. Depending on how many of you there are, it could get very tricky to defend, as there's lots of places for the zombies to fill up if they find you and you may end up spread out or separated if the zombies come through more than one entrance at once and you need to block them up. They do tend to have a lot of medical supplies though, so it's they're worth raiding if it's classic zombies.

I'll stick with the tower block, as far as I'm concerned, safest civilian tier place outside of top tier hideouts like Bunkers.

Bad Jim said:
In a zombie apocalypse, the best place to hang out in a vulture sanctuary. Flocks of birds with a taste for dead flesh can keep the zombies at bay, while you can tuck in to the meat they were meant to be eating.
You my friend are a fucking genius, why has no one ever thought of this before, it's magnificent!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I would probably target one of the lesser store that people may not go to straight away since they will target the bigger chain store.
While I would like to say I would head to my work place (a retail store that sell all kind of stuff including food) but it isn't the most secure place (no metal shut in at the front windows) and I would have to face my work collegues as a challanger.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
In a zombie apocalypse, the best place to hang out in a vulture sanctuary. Flocks of birds with a taste for dead flesh can keep the zombies at bay, while you can tuck in to the meat they were meant to be eating.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
It really depends on the type of zombie we're talking about and the rate of infection/turning.

If it was the very beginning of the outbreak, I can almost guarantee that I would be one of the first to hear about it, meaning I would have more than enough time to rush to Meijer and grab a nice amount of ammo. After that, I'd head to the Rite-Aid or Walgreens immediately outside my house and steal a large amount of painkillers, anti-biotics, and Adderall, because these three are going to be absolutely essential for high efficiency.

If I only learned about the outbreak once half of my township was already infected, I would ONLY go to Rite Aid/Walgreens, because there is more than enough food there and also, like I said, medication which would be an incredible bargaining chip for human interactions.

Then I'd high-tail it back home and try to make contact with my friends. We have a couple of different plans already made for an end-of-the-world scenario, so I think we'd be alright for quite some time.

Then, we wait. We wait until most of humanity is dead, and THEN we would head out for supply runs.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Braedan said:
First to my shed to get my camping equiptment, then to my garage to get my month supply of frozen meat, then to Kananaskis where I will live the rest of my life hunting bears with my 5 inch bowie knife.

Yall suckas in the cities are gunna die REAL fast.
Yes, but at least we won't have to deal with ZOMBIE BEARS!!

In a zombie apocalypse, I'd head to the nearest, biggest musical venue I can find. Rock my final seconds away because I don't entertain the delusions that I would become some sort of Post apocalyptic badass, Might as well go out in style and at the very least act as a distraction/ last show for any other survivors.
Maybe dress up in a red leather blazer and see if I can cause a zombie chorus line/mosh pit/Dance troupe. This also goes for biblical apocalypse. I hear death can play the chord that'll end the universe and won't that be an awesome way to go, death by guitar duel.

For any other apocalypse, no one else ever plans for those so I dont bother either

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
Us people in third world countries are relatively safe. My house has food for at least 2 months on stock, 20,000 lts of clean water that could be used sparingly to take sponge baths and drink. Then why do I say we are safe? Because you assume you are going to get a break & enter case. My house has a 3mt tall fence, the front doors are thick steel and every window and door has metal bars that can be locked or unlocked.

Just hole up as long as possible, after 3-4 months, while being naive in the post-apocalypsis common knowledge the amount of zombies will have waned a bit, not considering the fact that a zombie apocalypse is scientifically impossible =\ in terms of it succeeding not in terms of something being engineered so it happens.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
The worst place to be? The north woods of Michigan. Why? Because that's where I will be, taking shelter in my grandparents hometown (5 mile walk to lake superior, rugged hard to move through terrain, nearest town is 10 miles away in a straight line or 12 miles by road, plenty of deer for the people living up there, no major airports for at least 50 miles, and no reasons other than family for anyone else to go up there) or alternatively in one of the many abandoned copper mines that dot the mountains.

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
As I was waiting to pick up my son from school the other day, it struck me how perfect it would be in case of a zombie apocalypse (yes, these thoughts are perfectly sane after you have been sat on your unemployed arse playing zombie-related video games all day). The entire site is surrounded by a very high and strong fence, which you could still stab zombies through if they started to mount up. Of course, ideally the ZA would have to occur on a weekend so that the school was unoccupied at the time. I wouldn't have to worry about weapons, because I have a good supply of melee weapons in my shed that I would take over there.

And best of all, there would be plenty of food and art-and-crafts supplies for when you get bored!

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Anywhere above sea level is where I would go.I have no idea how long the waterworks here in The Netherlands will maintain proper water levels when power goes out and no one services them.

Staying around in this municipality or this province in general seems like a bad plan. East and West is water, South is the province with a very high population density. My only hope is then going North and either reaching a naval base or making my way to an island in the North Sea/fleeing to Germany.

I'm fucked either way,with such an enormous population density around here it's going to go to shit in a matter of hours.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Anywhere survivalist nerds might be gathering; they've prepared for the downfall for ages, but... What's going to happen when the internet's out? Will I be left alone with the bodies after the suicide pact or will I be sacrificed on the altar of Lohl-K'hat for the internet's return?

I kid, I kid. :p

Well, suppose I'm rather likely to die, unless I'm lucky. Thankfully, I tend to be rather lucky. But I'd attempt to move in here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/Skansen_Kronan_Gbg.jpg

Probably a deathtrap, but it'll be a scenic spot to die, at least. And it'd look even better if it all works out.

exessmirror

Apr 26, 2011
i would walk 200 meters to a friends house, stock up on his guns try to contact the rest of my friends and then go to the marine base 2 kilometers north. i know i guy who is an Lt in the reserve so we have increased chances to get in. also i think the general populace who manged to get into military controlled arias will be evacuated to ships and oil platforms