Where to watch anime (legally) online

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Inspired by Fox12's thread regarding the Gundam franchise, I was wondering where I would able to legally watch anime online whether through subscription or free.
I'm particularly interested in the Gundam franchise (the original Gundam and 08th MS Team specifically) and Outlaw Star.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
twistedmic said:
Inspired by Fox12's thread regarding the Gundam franchise, I was wondering where I would able to legally watch anime online whether through subscription or free.
I'm particularly interested in the Gundam franchise (the original Gundam and 08th MS Team specifically) and Outlaw Star.
You can find tons of anime for free on Crunchyroll with adds. They have the newest Gundam series on there. You can also pay a subscription and watch it without adds. Most of the shows on there are relatively new, and update at the same time as Japan. They have a few older shows as well, like Gurren Laggen. This site is better for modern anime.

You can also stream shows on Funimation. They should have the subs posted for free, and they have the dubs posted for subscribers. You can also buy their anime DVD's if you decide you like a series. They probably have more classic series on there.

Finally, you have Netflix. They have a surprisingly decent mix of classic and new shows. You can currently find shows like rurouni Kenshin, Inuyasha, and Madoka Magica.

Nov 9, 2015
You can also rent anime by mail from Netflix just like back then, assuming you live in the US, which I realize does not count as "watching anime online" but it solves the problem of watching Gundam, Gundam 08 MS Team, or Outlaw Star without going to an illegal site or purchasing the DVDs.

A problem you might notice is that legal streaming sites don't have a good collection of older anime at all. You won't find most anime you want to watch streaming legally, because streaming sites focus on newer anime for more viewership, and those licenses may expire after a couple of years anyways. So it would be difficult to find anime before 2011 that catches your attention, or any anime movie for that matter.

I don't know, maybe that's too inconvenient, but it's an option, and in terms of cost it beats spending money on boxed sets.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I think most gundam series are on some official channel on YouTube now, but I have no idea what it is.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Isn't animecrave (aside from maybe some fansubs) legal ? They tend to also have some older stuff.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
There is Daisuki.net but I am not sure if they have any of the Gundam series. I only know them for One Punch Man.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Revnak said:
I think most gundam series are on some official channel on YouTube now, but I have no idea what it is.
Gundaminfo

https://www.youtube.com/user/GundamInfo/videos

The Unicorn series, Build Fighter can be found there and alongside past series like Seed if you look at the different channels. Even Iron Blood Orphan can be found there abliet a week or two behind.

Granted they aren't showing The Orign, Thunderbolt in their channel. The original series movies were also a limited time streaming.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
For the longest time, the Bandai anime channel had both subbed and dubbed versions of all the Gundam series they had licensed (except G, oddly) as well as the first season of Code Geass, whose DVDs are ridiculously fucking expensive due to their limited printing when Bandai of America was closing. It's a shame, especially since so many series didn't make it over here in the first place, but Crunchyroll has been getting the new series, so hopefully we can get Gundam going forward.

I think Crunchyroll has the best selection so far, with Funimation covering most of what they don't have. Netflix has a pretty good selection too, and their Fate/Zero episodes weren't censored in anyway, nor do I think I've seen any censored anime on there.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Crunchyroll and Netflix.

Crunchyroll has a pretty good selection but the free membership is full of commercials and episodes are released one week later. The paid version (I think it is about 3$ a month) is completely worthy if you are into anime, it is ad free and the episodes are released almost immediately after the Japanese broadcast.

Netflix is another option if you have it, but the selection is a lot more limited (at least, in my region). It is also based on DVD releases, so don't expect much in terms of new episodes or current series.