Where were the Avengers/SHIELD in Iron Man 3?

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Better question, where was Spiderman in the Avengers? I mean it was New York right? Couldn't even show one badguy webbed up as like a lil' easteregg thing?
chozo_hybrid said:
I spent that whole last part of the film looking for something like that. Would have been awesome.
Orks da best said:
The Truth is much simpler... Marvel doesn't have the movie copyrights to spider-man, they couldn't use him so much as a cameo unless they get the movie copyrights from paramount.

Sad but true.

There was actually discussions going on between Marvel and Sony to include the Oscorp Building into the New York skyline for the Avengers. Unfortunately the design for the building that appeared in Amazing Spider-Man wasn't finished in time to be included in the Avengers.

BUT - Sony and Disney were going to let this happen. Timing just didn't work out. So we could see some small nods to the Spider-man universe in future Marvel Studio films and vice-versa. Will the actual characters cross over? No, not a chance. But it seems that easter eggs are not out of the question between the two studios.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Thor was in Asguard, Cap was probably doing the events of his upcoming movie, Hulk still can't really become public and he could cause more problems than he solved, SHIELD is in a bit of trouble if the ending to Avengers is any guess.

Nobody can be anywhere at once.
The movie took place over the course of a week, two at most and it's possible they thought Iron Patriot and Tony would be enough to handle the situation, especially if they knew about Tony's suit arsenal.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Ed130 said:
Snotnarok said:
Better question, where was Spiderman in the Avengers? I mean it was New York right? Couldn't even show one badguy webbed up as like a lil' easteregg thing?
Because the Spiderman movie rights is Sony's not Marvel studios at this point.

Remember Marvel sold those (and X-men's) rights off looong before Iron Man and the whole interconnected continuity idea came along and as long as the current right holders produce movies that use the licences and not sit on them Marvel can't use those characters.
Yes I've been told this 4 times already please everyone else I get it already copyright issues, bananas!

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
Iron Man 3, Cap 2 and Thor 2 all happen at the exact same time (timeline wise) and so everybody is busy doing their own thing.

Shield on the other hand is helping Cap adjust to being in the modern world, as let's be fair that is a priority right now, rather than just letting the government's most expensive and powerful super solider wander off alone and do his own thing.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Because i went to see "Iron Man 3", not "Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk and Hawkeye look for a terrorist". Can't people just enjoy the movie on its own without bugging themselves with questions like this?
F-I-D-O said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shocksplicer said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Same reason as War Machine wasn't in The Avengers, or the Eagles didn't fly the fellowship to Mount Doom - it would make a shorter movie. Any other explanation is more of an excuse than an explanation. Plausible, perhaps, but we all know why they REALLY weren't in the movie.
No, there's a REASON the eagles didn't fly the fellowship to Mount Doom.
And what would that REASON be, my liege?
Eagles - very proud, very egotistical creatures (they exemplify there traits more than any other race in the world).
You want to put the ring that corrupted Boromir so fast next to them?
Also, they're not a taxi system. The Eagles are creatures with free will. They help because they want to, not because they have to.
And I would imagine there's a couple archers in Mordor. And eagles aren't exactly subtle. A well aimed trebuchet, ballista, or simply a hail of arrows could take down an Eagle carrying a few hobbits. Oh, and Nazgul.
Oh, and it wouldn't be the most accurate thing to drop a ring from over Mount Doom. That's something where you want to make damn sure it lands in the lava.
NO NO NO NO NONONONONNONONONONOONONONO NOOOOOOOOOOO NOT THE FUCKING EAGLES AGAIN!

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Tomaius said:
Anyone else think it was odd that it was a Christmas movie?

I think thats going to be a running theme, maybe Thor and Captain America will be focused on another holiday event and a timeline could be built up.
"These Elves have stolen Odin's sacred easter eggs! With that kind of power they could give diabetes to all of Asgard!"

That said, I think if they were going to do that, they'd all do Christmas. "The Winter Soldier"? Also, Elves are kind of Christmasy, but I sincerely hope Thor doesn't go there.