Which active forum member has been on the Escapist the longest?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
My fellow Escapists,

A question burns in my mind and it needs an answer, if only to satisfy my curiosity. As you can tell from my join date, I've been here quite a while, long enough that I don't remember how I got here. But, I know for a fact there are people who've been around longer than I have.

So, who is it? Who is the active forum member that is here the longest?

Since that question doesn't offer a lot of discussion value by itself, maybe us 'elders' could also have a chat about how the Escapist has evolved over all these years.

EDIT: some clarification, by active I mean a forum member who still posts, let's say, this year.

By that measure, 'blue heartless' is currently the most venerable one, with a join date in 2005.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Are you going by when they started visiting the site or when they created their account?

For me I was watching Unforgotten Realms at late 2008.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I saw someone post with a join date of 2005 once.

Lemme see if my searchbar-fu is good enough to find them.

Ah, here we go.

Username: "blue heartless".
Last post: 5 Feb 2016.
Last active: same.

I don't know them, but apparently this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Virgil] is the oldest account on the site. Username "Virgil". Apparently belongs to the person who wrote the forum code. Hasn't posted since 2014 but shows last activity as April 1st 2016, so someone must log in every now and again.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Damn, I know for a fact that The Escapist had a contest about this not even all that long ago (the top 10 oldest but active members received a free PubClub membership or something like that and even given my join date, I was not one of them so there are at least 10 people here longer than me...).

Given the recent civil unrest here, I don't know how current that information would be and I can't find the contest in the search engine so I shall now claim the crown until someone takes it from me! All hail tippy2k2, your new supreme overlord! As my first act, I demand that everyone hunt down anyone older than I am and take them out before they can post in here. Long live tippy2k2!

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Probably tangentially related at best, but the user who created the "Old Games you remember playing but can't remember the name of" thread was my best friend in university and I only joined the Escapist a year and a half ago so it was a pleasant surprise. He's doing well from what I've heard, and he was last active a couple of weeks ago apparently.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Dizchu said:
Probably tangentially related at best, but the user who created the "Old Games you remember playing but can't remember the name of" thread was my best friend in university and I only joined the Escapist a year and a half ago so it was a pleasant surprise. He's doing well from what I've heard, and he was last active a couple of weeks ago apparently.
Oh, [user]DrunkOnEstus[/user]? I think he settled down and is raising a daughter named after a space alien. Nice fellow!

EDIT: ...Oh. No, actually, that was [user]troyrich[/user]. My brain's not cutting the mustard today. I have no idea who that person is.

OT: When you say "active", do you mean posting in the forums? I think that'd probably be someone like [user]Vigormortis[/user]. Otherwise someone like Virgil'd probably be the one.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Zhukov said:
I saw someone post with a join date of 2005 once.

Lemme see if my searchbar-fu is good enough to find them.

Ah, here we go.

Username: "blue heartless".
Last post: 5 Feb 2016.
Last active: same.
Beat me to it. I think Blue is the most visible of the ancient ones.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I see the old members have been summoned to wreak unholy retribution upon the masses

Pls no scar me, I'm too pretty for scars c:

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
In this short list of posters here Tippy2K is early 2008 so that would be one person...
There are old members who don't post so often, but Tippy is very active and very old (sorry about that :p)
Most people I seem to remember as "ancient ones" aren't actually that ancient, more in my own timeline of 2008-2010

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Why are there so many summer 2009 accounts?!

I'd be older than all of you if I didn't hesitate and just made an account in the spring...

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I certainly can't claim a 2005 join date, but I like to think I'm in the running.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
SomethingAmyss and Tippy2k2 are probably among the oldest, if not the oldest, users who post often and well enough to be memorable.

Looks like the oldest person to show up here is Sylocat from 2007, though. Anyone older want to poke their head in and post?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
As my first act, I demand that everyone hunt down anyone older than I am and take them out before they can post in here. Long live tippy2k2!
Does that mean I should hunt you down to lay a similar claim?

Alternatively, are you looking for anything in the way of a henchwoman? It's kind of like the protection racket: I don't care who I'm henching, as long as I keep busy.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
Too bad I lurked here for a while, yeah?

Not being recognizable is probably a good thing, though that is getting harder and harder with the userbase shrinking.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
I don't post as often as I used to but I still pitch in every now and then if something catches my interest.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
Damn, I know for a fact that The Escapist had a contest about this not even all that long ago (the top 10 oldest but active members received a free PubClub membership or something like that and even given my join date, I was not one of them so there are at least 10 people here longer than me...)
Wait what? Is that why I am suddenly a member of the Publisher's Club? I was curious about that.
My join date is slightly later than yours though; maybe you weren't active enough to qualify?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
s0denone said:
tippy2k2 said:
Damn, I know for a fact that The Escapist had a contest about this not even all that long ago (the top 10 oldest but active members received a free PubClub membership or something like that and even given my join date, I was not one of them so there are at least 10 people here longer than me...)
Wait what? Is that why I am suddenly a member of the Publisher's Club? I was curious about that.
My join date is slightly later than yours though; maybe you weren't active enough to qualify?
No, everyone is a club member now. There were tech team layoffs. Some funny things happened.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
No, everyone is a club member now. There were tech team layoffs. Some funny things happened.
Now I looked through a couple of profiles as a result of your response... And uh, it does indeed seem like everyone is a member of the publisher club now. I never recieved the badge, though - I lost my avatar however, the legendary laughing cow, which is a negative.

But as it was apparently deleted purely by chance, it can be reinstated. Glorious.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
That's a lot of replies on the same day already. How much time do you guys spend lurking?