Which active forum member has been on the Escapist the longest?

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Old posters. You never see us but you make one thread and suddenly out we all crawl. Anyway, I know there a few people older than me but I like to think a mid-late 2008 join date and still kind of active here (well, lurking most days and posting when I find something I can actually contribute to) isn't bad going.

ctuncks

Oct 18, 2004
Define active? Apparently I started this account up in 2004, but I don't remember doing so. Didn't start to frequent more often until ZP took off.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
ctuncks said:
Define active? Apparently I started this account up in 2004, but I don't remember doing so. Didn't start to frequent more often until ZP took off.
"Active forum member" likely excludes people with 56 posts in 12 years. I think it is about what "old user" is a recognizable person on these forums: I.e. who spams the most :eek:)

Feb 28, 2008
I have wondered this before, as I have never thought of myself as one of the longest-active members on the forum but casually browsing some join dates I see I am not vastly far off ... Also think I was one of those lurkers who hesitated about joining for reasons unremembered.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
I think I'm a fairly old poster.
Not old enough to remember the time of legends that was the inception of the escapist, where mythical beasts and great heroes roamed the forums.
But old enough to remember how things were before, in what some think of as the golden age, before the great schism that was gamer gate that caused a lot of people to get banned or deeply flustered and move on/leave the forums.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Caramel Frappe said:
I don't really count, especially due to the fact I joined late 2010 ... as in December 2010. I'm not the oldest, but i'm pretty much a set-in-stone fella around here who's not going anywhere anytime soon lol.
2010 mustard race!

carlsberg export said:
Not old enough to remember the time of legends that was the inception of the escapist, where mythical beasts and great heroes roamed the forums.
A time when Escapist Magazine was actually a magazine. In PDF

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
The Madman said:
In fact when I first signed up with them, the website not the forums, it was still a digital magazine that was sent out periodically with a few nifty articles on gaming news and discussions. I kinda miss that, there were some really good articles. Not just the now standard inflammatory opinion pieces either, but in-depth analysis and study of certain games and game elements as well. I don't really see that much anymore.

Used to read Rock Paper Shotgun for the same reason but now they've just become so negative and cynical I don't like visiting them either.
Why don't we do that anymore? That sounds so awesome.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais [https://www.youtube.com/user/broadcaststsatic] and EmceeProphIt [https://www.youtube.com/user/EmceeProphIt] are two game analysts I greatly love. Noah is more about analyzing gameplay though and Emcee is all about analyzing story and symbolism. They both need more views by the way so go watch them if you can!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Curses, somehow I had hoped I'd be the oldest one posting at least in this thread, but The Madman beat me to it and then we both got trumped big time by ctuncks.

Ah well, I'm pretty sure I'm part of the old guard though. But I'm not sure I'm all that defined as a forum member. I post randomly in whatever catches my fancy and apart from a brief Serial Killer stint I don't engage in either forum games or user groups. And it's in those areas that most of the social activity really seems to take place.

I can't recall that blue fellow and Mithrandia though. Goes to show my level of engagement maybe? I don't know. I like this place though. I don't hope The Escapist is truly dying, there's still some content and forum activity that I enjoy. And it's actually my main site for videogame news.
ctuncks said:
Just curious, but as there's almost four years between this and your previous post; what do you like about this place that both made you stick around? And why did you choose not to actually engage? Just curious, really.
AccursedTheory said:
SomethingAmyss and Tippy2k2 are probably among the oldest, if not the oldest, users who post often and well enough to be memorable.
Oh. Okay.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
AccursedTheory said:
SomethingAmyss and Tippy2k2 are probably among the oldest, if not the oldest, users who post often and well enough to be memorable.
Oh. Okay.

Don't be sad, I remember you from somewhere. I think.

I've been here for almost half a decade, and yet I don't feel as if I'm anywhere near one of the oldest. Could be due to my choice of sub-forum.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Zhukov said:
I saw someone post with a join date of 2005 once.

Lemme see if my searchbar-fu is good enough to find them.

Ah, here we go.

Username: "blue heartless".
Last post: 5 Feb 2016.
Last active: same.

I don't know them, but apparently this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Virgil] is the oldest account on the site. Username "Virgil". Apparently belongs to the person who wrote the forum code. Hasn't posted since 2014 but shows last activity as April 1st 2016, so someone must log in every now and again.
Chances are they probably lurk in group chat. Which counts as activity but your not gonna see that in public.

ctuncks

Oct 18, 2004
Cowabungaa said:
Curses, somehow I had hoped I'd be the oldest one posting at least in this thread, but The Madman beat me to it and then we both got trumped big time by ctuncks.

Ah well, I'm pretty sure I'm part of the old guard though. But I'm not sure I'm all that defined as a forum member. I post randomly in whatever catches my fancy and apart from a brief Serial Killer stint I don't engage in either forum games or user groups. And it's in those areas that most of the social activity really seems to take place.

I can't recall that blue fellow and Mithrandia though. Goes to show my level of engagement maybe? I don't know. I like this place though. I don't hope The Escapist is truly dying, there's still some content and forum activity that I enjoy. And it's actually my main site for videogame news.
ctuncks said:
Just curious, but as there's almost four years between this and your previous post; what do you like about this place that both made you stick around? And why did you choose not to actually engage? Just curious, really.
AccursedTheory said:
Oh. Okay.

Suppose I stick around out of habit, with regards to my sporadic and limited posts, it's just the way I am. Either someone else says something similar to what i was going to post (and then I don't feel the need to add my 2 cents worth) or I spend too long thinking about what I'd post and then the moment is gone.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Something Amyss said:
tippy2k2 said:
Much like the Sith, there can be a master and an apprentice

As for hench openings, we here at 2K2Corp expect Bond level henchmen and henchwomen; competent enough to catch the bad guy but not competent enough to finish the job. We do have sequels to consider here...
Well, my subordinates--a pack of highly-trained goats--descended upon Pure Chaos. Critics found the attempt exciting and plausible, yet the encounter was not fatal.
Hey now. You're stealing my schtick. I'm the henchgoat emperor round these parts. It even got me my Injustice League membership. I'll gladly lease the rights to use henchgoats, provided you produce sufficient evidence of competent villainy and a nominal fee. Don't make me use the ninja rabbits on you.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Something Amyss said:
Honour is for the white hats.
Its not about honor, you're undermining the loyalty of my Henchgoats.
I can't speak to your henchgoats, but mine are quite loyal. It might be the comprehensive health care.