Which anime called Ranma 1/2 is your favourite?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Title question.

For me, it'd have to be Ranma 1/2. Out of all the shows with that title, I think it's the best.
It's just so bloody hilarious, and it gets so chaotic with all those zany characters doing their zany antics. I love it.

The best episode is Ryoga's introductory episode. I can't even breathe while it's playing. It's just so darn funny, and also epic, and also epicly funny.

Also I love that face that all the normal animals make. You know, that one where eyes are shaped like huge cashews with tiny pupils and they look so blissfully vacant. I tried really hard to find an example, but I can't find a single image of an animal that isn't an actual character. Darn you Google image search!

Edit: Did anyone else think that Akane should have been stronger than Ranma? I mean, Akane had absolutely nothing going for her: she couldn't cook, she wasn't nice, she was the weakest fighter, she was clumsy, etc. Pretty much anything she could(or couldn't) do, Ranma could do better. It would have given her something if she had at least had superior physical strength to Ranma, and would have suited her personality really well too, as she usually relies on brute force whenever she faces a problem. Ranma could still be the superior fighter through speed, technique, and strategy, but Akane should have had something to keep her relevant in the whole dojo setting.

So have you seen Ranma 1/2? Thoughts, fav character/episode/pairing/whatever?

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Eh, I never really watched the anime of Ranma, but I was a huge fan of the manga as a kid and one of my fondest memories was going to borders every week or so and buying a volume.

Going off the manga, I remember loving the Pantyhose Taro arc a lot (Volume 16.)

I also have a soft spot for the arc with the French guy with the big frog mouth, and the one where he breaks up with Akane and hooks up with Nabiki, as volume 15 was my introduction to Ranma 1/2 as well as my first manga, so those were the first I read.

I've seen bits of the anime, and had one DVD of it, but never really sat down to watch it.

As for favorite characters, I'm not sure, I liked just about all the characters, but that could be the nostalgia talking.

Except for Happosei. Happosei pisses me off.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Never watched the anime, but read the manga all the way through as a kid, as a friend of mine bought every single volume. I remember liking it, though I'd definitely notice the flaws way easier today. It delivered wacky, creative and bizarre humor, which I way preferred over the attempts at being serious. And it didn't get on my nerves (at least back then) in the same way other shounen series have since then. Perhaps it was because it was a straight up comedy, which didn't lead to as many drastic shifts in tone between chapters as in other series. That kind of thing always kills my interest in anime and manga.

Thinking back, it might have been one of my vital steps into puberty, seeing as the manga featured naked girls on a regular basis. One of my classmates, whom calling a horndog would be a massive understatement, seemed to be on the edge of his comprehension of the universe at the idea of there being comics with tits in them.

Hm, maybe it'd be worth a look back. I skimmed through a couple of chapters during my military service, and remember still enjoying it.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
You know... Ranma's one of those things (like, say, Leiji Matsumoto's Captain Harlock or Osamu Tezuka's Black Jack) I would like to really dig into, but for some reason or another never actually seem to get around to.

I remember watching some Ranma OVA over a decade ago - I'm afraid I couldn't possibly tell which now - but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I loved the Manga but the anime (note I only saw the dub) was annoying. I personally love harem manga since they are always fun to read. to your question My fav character was always Shampoo i loved her bubbly personality and her shamelessness.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
I about heard of it enough to have a general idea of what the show is about, but I never seen it.

I watch teamfourstar's abridged stuff but other then that I have not watched any anime in years. I think the last anime I give a chance was Gurren Lagann. I gave it 4-5 episodes to hook me in and it failed. I sort of lost that mentally of "it gets better later" with anime after I burned really bad by it. That happening did contributed to me losing interest in anime.

I could give Ranma 1/2 a chance but I don't feel the motivation to do so.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
inu-kun said:
It was on the evening anime block when I was younger, really loved it, fun characters and not too hung up on fanservice, but someone should have the creator make an actual ending.
Well, the manga did have an ending. Granted it wasn't really the happy "Ranma and Akane get married, Ranma learns to accept his female side, and everybody lives happily ever after" type ending I was hoping for, but I guess it was true to the rest of the story, really. It was a heck of a lot better than the anime got, anyway.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I never got around to watching much Ranma. In fact about all I've seen is the movie Nihao my Concubine, which is good, IMO. not sure where it stands among Ranma fans, though. I mean most movies aren't considered cannon, or are filler, if not both.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
It used to be one of my favorite anime, but overexposure, bad filler, and some heavy conflict in the fanfic community have soured me on the show. That and what was once one of the most batshit anime out there has now been outdone on so many levels it seems tame. I still have the run of manga and anime, but I still have trouble going back to it and would rather re-watch Urusei Yatsura.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Ha, not much room for manoeuvrability in this thread. Sadly a thread essentially titled "OMG RANMA 1/2 IS MY FAVOURITE ANIME, LET ME TALK ABOUT MY FAVOURITE ANIME" doesn't do much to engage the community. Maybe try something along the lines of "What Anime Are You Into At The Moment?" and mention Ranma 1/2 in the OP or something.

But while I'm here I may as well bite; read the managa from time to time and watched the anime when it was on but never properly got into it. The premise was interesting but started to wear thin the longer the show went on.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes a while back, and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. The entire plot of one of them was: He tries to go to school, he gets splashed with water and turns into a girl, so he has to go home to turn back into a boy, repeat 3 or 4 times.

Really, the only thing that seemed to happen was that he'd accidentally get splashed with water and have to quickly hide and find a way to turn back. If he'd just stay a girl for his general daily life, he'd get a lot more done. That annoyed me.