Which company do you feel cares the most about their fans?

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
well at the end of ffXII and dissidia on there credits they thank all of there dedicated fans, I find that pleasing

hailmagus

Jan 17, 2008
Arsen said:
I am going to have to go with Konami. Very rarely do they ever make games that are of a bad quality. I would include Square-Enix to this list, however their president's comment over the whole FF7 remake thing kind of irked me. Not to mention I feel that their recent games are nowhere near as innovative as they have been.
Maybe Atlus. A guy told a story one time of how another guy was bashing an Atlus game, and this guy was basically like, 'hey man, don't bash it until you try it, Atlus is great, blah, etc'. Someone from Atlus got a hold of him, asked him for his address, and sent him [insert game here] with the walkthrough, as appreciation for what he did and being a fan. That's pretty fucking cool in my eyes.

gains

Jan 8, 2008
Valve has "elevated" mods and modders to become official Valve projects and devs. CS, Portal, even the original HL Team Fortress. And they let these guys stay true to their original vision instead of stomping in and taking over.

If that isn't a service to their community, I don't know what is.

ila

Jul 29, 2008
squid5580 said:
The question is though did they give you the 5 cents of crap because they care? Or did they do it because the games they localize are fairly obscure so they use the preorder stuff to entice you to buy it?
I'd say a little of both. The surefire stuff (like Persona) has the goodies, but even the more obscure games like Master of the Monster Lair and Etrian Odyseey had nothing, and I still bought them anyway since they were solid titles with little to no chance coming out here.

Atlus is still a company, they have the right to make money just like the rest of us.

Now I'm not saying Atlus is the shining beacon of caring for their fans (although I don't think Valve is either) but you know, I think they do a swell job.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Activision. Seeing as they pump out Guitar Hero games and Call of Duty games like Nadya Suleman pumping out kids like she's got a portal to another dimension in her snatch.

I'm obviously joking of course. I think Bungie is without a doubt, the most fanbase involved company of this generation. They've listened to their fans, and continually improve on a lot of their games. Add their perfect track record of Myth, ONI, Marathon, and who could forget? The Halo games (with the exception of Halo Wars being developed by Ensemble.),and you have one of the best companies in gaming. :)

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
ila said:
squid5580 said:
The question is though did they give you the 5 cents of crap because they care? Or did they do it because the games they localize are fairly obscure so they use the preorder stuff to entice you to buy it?
I'd say a little of both. The surefire stuff (like Persona) has the goodies, but even the more obscure games like Master of the Monster Lair and Etrian Odyseey had nothing, and I still bought them anyway since they were solid titles with little to no chance coming out here.

Atlus is still a company, they have the right to make money just like the rest of us.

Now I'm not saying Atlus is the shining beacon of caring for their fans (although I don't think Valve is either) but you know, I think they do a swell job.
Oh don't get me wrong I am happy when I hear a half decent company has enough money they can swim in it like Scrooge McDuck. Just like I am pleased to hear a crap company goes under. I just don't think any company make games and DLC because they care about us. They care about the money we bring.

Preorder swag and special edition crap is awesome. Hell I bought Overlord 2 just because I got a imp figurine with it. I had full intentions on just renting it but the figurine was just so cool I couldn't resist. If they cared about me they wouldn't have included those figurines and let me rent it for a fraction of the cost. Since they care about my money and not me it was a brilliant move and I can't complain.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
all. they make you like them with thing's like listening and free updates, but all they want is to get money to feed themselves and there family.

ila

Jul 29, 2008
squid5580 said:
Oh don't get me wrong I am happy when I hear a half decent company has enough money they can swim in it like Scrooge McDuck. Just like I am pleased to hear a crap company goes under. I just don't think any company make games and DLC because they care about us. They care about the money we bring.

Preorder swag and special edition crap is awesome. Hell I bought Overlord 2 just because I got a imp figurine with it. I had full intentions on just renting it but the figurine was just so cool I couldn't resist. If they cared about me they wouldn't have included those figurines and let me rent it for a fraction of the cost. Since they care about my money and not me it was a brilliant move and I can't complain.
Can we agree to disagree on this one? I'd like to be civil about this, as I know you would like to be as well. I just don't think either one is going to change the other one's viewpoints.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I have to say Valve. For such a big fanbase, they do really well to please our every whim. At the other end of the spectrum, there's Epic Games. They're good at MAKING games, but make no effort at all to listen to their fanbase. In the first Gears, there were loads of glitches exploited on a large scale (crabwalking being the worst offender), and it really did kill the multiplayer sometimes. But they did nothing at all.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
ila said:
squid5580 said:

Can we agree to disagree on this one? I'd like to be civil about this, as I know you would like to be as well. I just don't think either one is going to change the other one's viewpoints.
To be quite frank about it we really don't have a choice other than to agree to disagree. Niether one of us can ever come close to being right or wrong. There is just to many factors involved to boil it down to a yes or no answer. A company has 100 employees easy. And not all of those 100 people are going to be doing this for the same reasons. Employee # 34 is doing it for a paycheck every week. Employee # 48 is the graphics guy. And he has a rival graphic guy who works for another company. So the main reason he cares is because he wants to show up the other guy. The CEO cares about at least breaking even.

Funny thing is I have no idea why we are discussing this in the first place. I don't think it really matters if a company truly cares about us or not. If you listen to half the interviews for any bad game they sound like they care. The same with any good game. Caring about us doesn't always equal a good game.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
RemoteControlRox said:
deathsong17 said:
Insomniac, great relations with their fans.
Agreed. They listen to their fans and it helps them to improve their games.
GonzoGamer said:
Don't fool yourself.
They're all out for money: as much as they can grab.
Well, yes. All companies are. That's how you stay alive in a marketplace. But having the ability to have a good relationship with your fans helps with making games that people will buy and can even be pleasant as a bonus. Just because someone wants to make money doesn't mean they can't still be good people.
It's about more than staying alive in the marketplace, it's about the bottom line. The board will do whatever it can to make the most money for its shareholders, that's just the nature of all business. They're going to charge as much as they can get away with while spending as little as they can get away with. Having the ability to have a good relationship with the fans has more to do with good pr than actually being fair and reliable.
Just look at the prime examples:
Gamestop is one of the most worthless places to shop in, it has the worst trade in-to used price ratio, and most of the stores demand that you pre-order (give them money ahead of time) a game if you want to get it when it lunches. For some reason, people love the place; they'll even pay full price for a game months before they can go pick it up. That's just insane.
Same with the 360. Some 360 owners have the unfortunate attitude of a battered housewife. The machine breaks and some of them blame themselves: "It's not MS's fault; I was playing too much so I guess I deserve it."

The reasons these companies are able to move so many units is PR, they get involved in the consumer's life because they know that's the best way to siphon off more money. Now I'm not saying that every 360 owner is a sucker (hell, I may even be joining your ranks soon) or that everyone who walks into gamestop is a sucker (just most) but you are a sucker if they were able to convince you to pay full price for a game months before you get it or got so involved in your life that you have to buy a backup console while you send your original off to be repaired.

ila

Jul 29, 2008
squid5580 said:
Funny thing is I have no idea why we are discussing this in the first place. I don't think it really matters if a company truly cares about us or not. If you listen to half the interviews for any bad game they sound like they care. The same with any good game. Caring about us doesn't always equal a good game.
Indeed you are right, when it comes down to it its about what games are brought out. Atlus USA is willing to bring over Dokopan Kingdom and Super Robot Taisen? Great. Valve keeps giving us TF2 updates? Awesome! Square decides not to bring over any international versions of games and take a year to localize a title? Blegh.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
SimuLord said:
Mullahgrrl said:
paradox, no competition.
Stardock's in the same neighborhood, but nobody (and I mean NOBODY) does customer relations like Paradox.

Have you read the thread on the Paradox Victoria 2 forum [http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10032636#post10032636] that Frederik Wester (the company's CEO) started? The head honcho of the entire company engaged actively with the fans, and Paradox's internal arguments about whether to make Vicky 2 in the first place (apparently Johan had to really stick his neck out to convince the boss that the game could make money) were laid completely public. Show me another developer that would do that.
I hadn't seen that.

Joy and Glee!

Im buying 10 copies!

Freakydemon

Aug 7, 2009
D4zZ said:
Freakydemon said:
I would say Blizzard untill they released the next expasnion for WoW, totally fucking it up...
Cataclysm? How do you think that is going to fuck it up? Apart from in game the worlds literally going to get broken and fucked up. :p

I'd say Valve, out of all the games I play regularly and know about anyway.
Cataclysm is making WoW the most casual mmorpg you can imagine now... classes were lore bound, not some random crap like it's now. Tauren Paladin, seriously?
Also there is no phasing so the world doesn't change before your eyes and it changes if you buy the expansion or not, so new players or alts will never experience the old content. Their engine can't handle all the phasing. Also they just gave WoW to some B-team to keep making expansions, etc... the old team allready left to work on the other Blizzard Projects.
That's why WoW is totally fucked up by Cataclysm.