Which development company do you still trust and admire?

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
From Software still wins here. As long as they make mechanically great games, I see no reason to stop buying from those guys.

Atlus... I just started playing Persona 4 Arena. Now I want to play Persona 3 and 4, but PS2 games are being pulled from the shelves... :-/

Valve... I still trust them, a lot more after they brought Steam to Linux, but I keep criticisms in case they slip up.

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
After what Bethesda did with Skyrim and the PS3, I can't believe there are so many people saying they "trust" them. It's disturbing. Even if the issue didn't affect you, what they did was disgusting.

Eccentric Lich

Dec 8, 2009
Man, if this had been asked even 5 or 6 years ago, I'd have a list. As it stands now, the only companies I still trust to make good, playable (as in not riddled with bugs or shitty gameplay mechanics)are Arc System Works and Game Freak. Valve's still good, but they barely release anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still take chances on other companies if the games look good, but I'm much MUCH more wary than I used to be. These days you need to look out for a lot. So many games are painfully short, released completely unfinished or untested (Bethesda), dumbed down compared to previous games in the series (again, Bethesda and also Nintendo), or full of money-grubbing on-disk DLC (Capcom and the EA conglomerate monster).

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
Valve: because I like the way they function for the most part, so many big free content updates to games, always trying to innovate in some way. If I didn't trust them, I wouldn't put most of my games collection in their hands through Steam.

Wolfire Games: because I like their very open approach to development (there are loads of videos on youtube covering the various alpha updates for their game Overgrowth), plus they kick started the Humble Indie Bundles, which is certainly a good thing.

Pockydon

Feb 26, 2012
Valve, Bethesda, Telltale and Gearbox. All of them have made consistently amazing games with very few big mistakes. Bioware used to be on that list, but they're lost to me now.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Wellp, I have pretty much thoroughly enjoyed most of the things that Rockstar has released in the past 6-7 years, enough to inspire 6-hour stints of LA Noire, Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV; although I'm not too impressed at the whole situation surrounding LA Noire...

They actually release decent expansions as well, which is nice.

I've also enjoyed pretty much everything that Introversion Software (DEFCON, Darwinia etc) has put out as well, looking the fudge forward to Prison Architect.

Firaxis as well, I suppose, though I've not played Alpha Centauri, but I love the FUCK out of Civilization (yes, including V) and I love the FUCK out of the new XCOM, so I suppose I'm a recent devotee; though that being said I don't see them going DRM-free in the near future, and their drip-feeding DLC is not ideal, not deplorable, but not ideal either.

Also I notice no-one's mentioned Paradox yet, do they have a reputation that I'm not aware of?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I really don't trust anybody and really think blind faith is kind of damaging. I do respect many groups, including CD Projekt and basically anybody who takes a reasonable approach to DRM.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Hmm...
Well, I'll throw my vote in for Atlus. They've never given me any real reason to doubt them.
And I still like Bioware, no matter what anyone says about them. I've never actively disliked one of their games before. My JRPG roots also make me obligated to say Square Enix. Again, regardless of what anyone says about them, I still like 'em. I just wish it didn't take them so bloody long to develop things.

CAPTCHA: Smelling salt.
No, Captcha, I don't need think I need to wake up and smell anything. I still like these guys.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Bethesda hasn't done me wrong yet. I love their theory on business. "If you make a good game people will buy it." Regardless of your opinion of the games, there's no denying that Bethesda games have easily the content of 5-10 games in them and when they make DLC, it actually adds something meaningful to the game when some companies don't even add anything to begin with (fucking Capcom.) There are a lot of easily exploitable business tactics in the game industry and Bethesda has earned my respect by not using them.

Valve is pretty cool. When you make as much money as valve does it's marginally easier to be generous, but they're still leaps and bounds better than activision and EA

also what the hell is this?

baconmaster

Apr 15, 2008
I trust Valve and Naughty Dog to at least make worthwhile games consistently. From Software seems to be on a good track but I haven't seen enough games by them to judge. I've only started playing Atlus games within the past 2 years or so but they've been good to me so far.

I trust Rockstar to create an immersive atmosphere... But other than that their games are generally "Battle the awful controls for 20 hours so you can do the same 3 missions a billion times."

SillySam

Mar 15, 2011
For me, it's currently:

Blendo Games
CD Projekt Red
Falcom
Gearbox
Introversion
Kojima Productions
Playdead
Rocksteady
Subset Games
Valve
XSeed

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
-Gearbox
-Atlus
-Kojima Productions
-Intelligent Systems
-The Creative Assembly
-Insomniac
-Naughty Dog

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
None. Blind devotion to comapny is idiotic. Besides any company is guilty of some horrendous crime and some horrendous good, it's the nature of existing for a long period of time and making diverse decisions. There are still companies I like but none I trust. There are developers I admire but no company.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Valve still holds a lot of good will with me.

And I've always had wonderful experiences with Amaranth Games.