Which Language Do You Wish You Spoke?

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
A wizard sneaks into your bedroom, and offers to grant you the ability to speak any Earth language fluently. If you make any smart ass comments, however, he will explode your head into a million pieces.

So, which language do you pick?

I'd choose French, as I'm taking a French course right now and it is grueling.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Japanese! Mostly due that i can actully watch an anime with out subs.

Or play a lot of VN's that hasn't been translated. And translation takes TIME.

Wutaiflea

Mar 17, 2009
I know this is going to sound utterly tragic, but I really enjoy learning languages, and having a magic wand waved would kind of take the fun out of it for me.

Could the wizard just give me a big-ass budget to take a load of language courses, or give me loads of opportunity to practice every day?

I suppose at a push, I would pick French. I used to be quite fluent back in the day, but I'm so out of the habit of using it now that I've forgotten a lot of it. Getting back what I had wouldn't be too much like cheating, would it?

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Spanish as a fun language. Would be useful for holidays, and if I ever moved to America I hear a fair bit of Spanish gets thrown around so would be nifty to understand it all.

Chinese as a business language. Because in 20 years time they're going to rule the world and knowing the two major world languages would be useful.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
I wish I could speak Chinese. I know there are many variations of that language but I am not familiar with them or what they're called. As for why, I think it would be best, as the People's Republic is becoming more influential and present around the world, to learn their tongue.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well if he offers any language, I would want all of them, because there is nothing worse then not being able to understand someone/something.

Hijinx

Dec 3, 2010
Japanese, as long as I can read it fluently, too. That way I can buy cheap manga and not have to have it translated, as well as watch anime in Japanese without subtitles. Not to mention that I could play those types of games that they never bother to translate.

I also think the language sounds really cool - even the way they say English words.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Russian, that way I could understand more movies and games that I play, plus my gf works a lot in Russia.

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
I'm currently learning japanese because it's an interesting language (in sentence structure, vocabulary and general usage due to the nation's social understanding), but I'll confess that I like watching anime in japanese and subtitles are sometimes lacking (as are dubs, IMHO).
Apart from that, I got turkish and russian course books in my shelf that I one day want to delve into.

Also, I "technically" can speak latin, though most people I know can't. The few that can I have a few giggles with sometimes though :D

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I tried making an effort to learn Japanese when I was there but it was too hard. So I guess I'll go with Japanese.

I used to be able to read and write French quite fluently in high school but forgot all about that, maybe I should try digging that knowledge up again. It is a rather nice language.