Which specific media (movies, games, etc) would you consider culturally significant?

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
Just got done watching Boyz n The Hood for the first time. God damn, the last 20 minutes were just too fucking brutal. I'm normally a complete hard ass and I still got really sad at the whole ending. If you ever want to get depressed, this is the ideal film for it.

Going on this note, I feel that the modern label of "culturally significant media" is simply used too often and simply isn't reserved anymore for the few works of art that actually are culturally significant; take Boyz, for example, it was a clear denunciation of the LA ghetto lifestyle, and it's still unbelievably powerful 20 years after it came out and 10 years after the situation started being under control.

With that said, I was wondering what media other Escapists would consider as truly culturally significant. It could be anything like music, movies, games, etc; although movies will probably make up a large portion of the list.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Requiem For a Dream. That movie is probably the hardest and most amazing experience on Drugs Ever. I had avoided seeing it since it was played at my High School Once upon a Time (This guy showed it to the kids because he was against Drinking, but he thought Drugs were just as serious. So, he took some clips and showed most of the stuff, not the Jen Connelly stuff, but some parts) but I rented it a couple of weeks ago, and I've never been more shocked, violated, disturbed or amazed in my life.

Trust me, it is culturally significant. If People who thought about doing drugs saw it once, and then did a Ludovico Treatment on them with this movie, You'd cut Just about every drug use in the world by a wide margin, I think.

It is one of those movies that makes you feel so depressed afterwards, you kind of want to watch cartoons afterwards, just so you might think that life can't be that sad, but it can be, and probably is.

I didn't watch cartoons afterwards, but man, I was so bummed. I kind of wished I did.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Trainspotting was pretty significant.

It was like the Clockwork Orange of the 90's.

crampy

Dec 3, 2009
Borat. Since borat, phrases like Is nice, and Very nice, How much have become integrated parts of common language since the film's release in 2006.

Bruno, however, took it too far, and was genuinely disturbing.

Generator

May 8, 2009
If I'm not mistaken, The Rocky Horror Picture Show was the first movie to ever garner the use of the term cult classic, or at the very least was the first to actually deserve to be called that. Either way, it was a pretty bold look at a topic generally avoided at the time, so I think it's pretty culturally significant.