Which Tabletop Games Contain True Terror? These Six

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Which Tabletop Games Contain True Terror? These Six

The gamut of scary game experiences on the tabletop, from anxious terror to the rare tabletop jump scare. It's all about the fear in here.

Read Full Article

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Mordheim is a game on Steam now (Early Access). I am holding off until I know how single player friendly it is.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Pity that GW just gave up on Mordheim. Of course, they got rid of the whole world it was set on earlier this year.

But had some good stuff in there. Like Necromunda, bit all over the place, but had potential, promised to develop it, and didn't.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Pity that GW just gave up on Mordheim.
They tend to discontinue anything that they can't turn around like Warhammer Fantasy or 40k. I really like the old Man'o'War game too.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
008Zulu said:
thaluikhain said:
Pity that GW just gave up on Mordheim.
They tend to discontinue anything that they can't turn around like Warhammer Fantasy or 40k. I really like the old Man'o'War game too.
Eh, they could have still sold the models, they took them off the website when they revamped it. Got some at the last minute, but I'd have bought more.

They also could have kept the fluff. Originally, this new not-demon called the Shadowlord and the warpstone in Mordheim threatened the world. He came back as Be'Lakor, a daemon prince who gives crowns to the Everchosens, and Mordheim was forgotten. I think he was also in Albion, but that was retconned, with no mention of what he'd done in Mordheim.

(Spellcheck doesn't like a fair few words in those 3 sentences)

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I've recently been playing alot of Kingdom Death: Monster. That game has us dreading every event that comes up, no one is safe.

We had one character that was awesome, basicly we worshiped her as our savior. Then one year plague swept through the setlement and killed only her. Yeah, no one is special in that game.

Jan 12, 2012
Ftaghn To You Too said:
I still want desperately to run a game of Dread. I've been meaning to for literal years.
Do it tonight if you're getting together with some friends before you head out to a party or something. Beneath A Metal Sky is one of the most fantastic modules out there: Perfectly suited to the game, immediately recognizable by the players as a situation they can understand, and it works well with Dread's system. Combined with Dread's zero-prep nature, you can plonk the tower down and run through the whole thing in an hour or two if you keep the pace rolling, which makes it a great intro for anyone not used to tabletop games, and fun for everyone.

OT: Surprised to see Mordheim on the list. I wouldn't usually classify it as 'containing true terror,' although the stress when you see a Skaven slingwall has probably caused at least one heart attack. And I'll agree that it's definitely not balanced, but it's fun as hell to play with the random and gory nature of the game.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
True terror can only come from board games like parcheesi. You don't even need any lore. The psycho terror itself stems from that it's basically nothing. You just won't roll 6's. And if you do, you will get fucked.

I've seen people change. More than in any game of Monopoly. These people were like being... posessed. You can not get this terror like you've accidentaly unleashed something demonic by just reading. I know (and play myself) that this is about TT games, but true terror... Just play parcheesi.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Bobular said:
I've recently been playing alot of Kingdom Death: Monster. That game has us dreading every event that comes up, no one is safe.

We had one character that was awesome, basicly we worshiped her as our savior. Then one year plague swept through the setlement and killed only her. Yeah, no one is special in that game.
Any idea where to actually get ahold of that? I missed the kickstarter and I'd rather not buy it from a scalper :/