Which version of 'Hallelujah' do you think is the best?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'm not one for religious crap, but I do like Imogen Heap's version:

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Huh, I have never before heard Leonard Cohen's work described as "religious crap" before. I'm not entirely sure how to react to that.

And on topic, I'm going to have to go with Jeff Buckley. I think he wrings the most emotion out of it.

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Probably Cohen's original version with KD lang and Wainwright tied for second.

Tanis said:
Give the lyrics a better listen. It might use biblical imagery, but it's not remotely close to a hymn

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
shogunblade said:
I really like Leonard Cohen's version, especially when used in the context in the one scene of "The Watchmen".

I do not care what your opinion of the movie is (I quite love it), or that version of the song (It's just my favorite one), but in the context of the movie, it's gorgeous, and I got it on my MP3 player shortly thereafter, I loved it so much. It's a good song.
100% agreed.

Cohen's done a fair few versions over his life, but the one in Watchmen is by far and away the best. His gravelly voice contrasted to the choir is brilliant. I'm not usually a fan of Cohen's "singing" but it works so so well here.

I suppose Jeff Buckley comes in second. Its still a great cover though.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I absolutely love Cohen, I'm a huge fan of his, and most of my Hallelujah respect goes to him for having written the masterpiece. That said, I do prefer Jeff Buckley's version.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
This One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4tYJdDj3_8

Captcha

Really, advertising for a betting company, really!

Bestival

May 5, 2012
Best for me is Cohen's, though there are tons of great versions out there. I would go as far as saying the only bad one I've ever heard was by that fucking cockhead Bono. Seriously, what the fuck is that shit!?

Just... The worst. Of everything. Ever.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
I highly adore the Jeff Buckley version over the rest. His really does capture the essence of the song so marvelously.

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
Rylingo said:
As long as no one says Alexandra Burke's version I shall feel happy.
I agree with you I felt like she completely misinterpreted the song. It's a bittersweet, somber, meloncholy song. Her version sounds over sung and too powerful and almost triumphant and like it's trying to being uplifting and celebratory and too me it just doesn't fit with the lyrics and that kinda annoys me.

On sidenote does any one have a time machine? I strangly want Elvis to sing this or at least someone who does a good Elvis impersonation. I think it would work really well.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I wonder if anybody can take a wild guess as to my answer...

sky14kemea said:
Where's the love for Rufus Wainwright?

Yes I'm aware it's the version used in Shrek. That's where I first heard it and it's been my favourite version ever since. ^^
Cale's version was the one in the actual movie, Wainwright was on the soundtrack.

Anyway, Cale and Buckley are probably tied right behind Wainwright for me. I like Cohen's original composition and everything, but I can't appreciate the actual voice as much.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
Of course Leonard Cohen. I don't like the Shrek version. It took out my favorite line: "she tied you to her kitchen chair, she broke your throne and she cut your hair." The first few times I heard this song I thought he said, "she broke your throat" and they were having kinky choking sex. I was disappointed when I learned the truth, but I still like that line.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
halfeclipse said:
Probably Cohen's original version with KD lang and Wainwright tied for second.

Tanis said:
Give the lyrics a better listen. It might use biblical imagery, but it's not remotely close to a hymn
Definitely. I'm an atheist and this is one of my favorite songs.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Zombie Sodomy said:
shrekfan246 said:
I like Cohen's original composition and everything, but I can't appreciate the actual voice as much.
Bu... wha... I... What?! I think I need to lie down.
He doesn't have a good singing voice. Or at least, he doesn't utilize it well in this song.

Also, Rufus Wainwright's version (used in the Shrek soundtrack but not in the movie, as I said above) didn't remove that line.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
The first version I heard was Allison Crowe's, and it remains my favourite to this day. I am partial to how broken she sounds, and how she turns the song's mood into beautiful, glorious despair.

muckinscavitch

Jul 27, 2009
My favourite is definitely Rufus Wainwright's version. His voice and the piano in it is perfect. Always listen to it when I'm down.

P.S. While Cale's version is in the movie Shrek, Rufus Wainwright's version was included in the official soundtrack instead. I have no idea why they chose to switch it up though.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
Zombie Sodomy said:
shrekfan246 said:
I like Cohen's original composition and everything, but I can't appreciate the actual voice as much.
Bu... wha... I... What?! I think I need to lie down.
He doesn't have a good singing voice. Or at least, he doesn't utilize it well in this song.

Also, Rufus Wainwright's version (used in the Shrek soundtrack but not in the movie, as I said above) didn't remove that line.
I don't understand all you people. Leonard Cohen doesn't sing like most people do, but he has one of the most famous voices in all of music. His alternative style fits perfectly with his voice, and the emotional tone of his lyrics. I've been listening to all the other versions that people have been posting and they just don't fit for me. They are great musicians, some of them at least, but something about it just sounds off to me. I don't own the Shrek soundtrack, I just remember not hearing that line in the movie.
Edit: a lot of the others are good singers from a technical standpoint, but their voices lack the ability to send chills down my spine that Leonard Cohen's has.