Which version of 'Hallelujah' do you think is the best?

theparsonski

May 29, 2010
'Hallelujah' was originally released by Leonard Cohen in 1984, getting to No. 36 in the UK charts, and since then it has been covered over 300 times. I'm sure you have all heard it at some point, and many of you will have heard different versions which seem to you to be the version.

I first heard it in Shrek when I was younger, the version in the film being John Cale's. I used to love it, it was really nostalgic to hear.

Now though, I think I like the original the most. Lots of people claim that Cohen's voice is poor, that he doesn't really sing with much tune. This may be true, however he packs so much emotion into his voice that it completely makes up for it. And the backing singers are amazing too.

I know this thread won't have much mileage, but I'm just interested to know what the general consensus is on the song.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I'm going to go with what's probably the majority and say Jeff Buckley's version. looking at the thread I now feel silly.

That's just hauntingly beautiful. His voice and that guitar tone are just fantastic, there's a version somewhere with a super-long intro on it and that's even more mindblowingly brilliant.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
My favorite, because of the emotions it invoked... and the national pride. KD Lang at the Olympics.

Number 2: Again, Canadians do it best... Cohen is too, though. Rufus Wainright.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Where's the love for Rufus Wainwright?

Yes I'm aware it's the version used in Shrek. That's where I first heard it and it's been my favourite version ever since. ^^

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
sky14kemea said:

Yes I'm aware it's the version used in Shrek. That's where I first heard it and it's been my favourite version ever since. ^^
I gave it love! It's on my playlist and I listen to it all the time. Love being alone when it's playing so I can belt it out.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
IndomitableSam said:
sky14kemea said:

I gave it love! It's on my playlist and I listen to it all the time. Love being alone when it's playing so I can belt it out.
Oh yeah! You did! :3

High five for Wainwright! o/ (It's a guy holding his arm up).

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
sky14kemea said:
IndomitableSam said:
sky14kemea said:

Oh yeah! You did! :3

High five for Wainwright! o/ (It's a guy holding his arm up).
I'll go with that. \o ... Gotta be a better figure to make, though.

... So, let's see what others come up with. It's a great ong, so I'd like to add some new versions to my list.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm quite partial to Paul's version from Desert Bus.

So yet another Canadian. Apparently those guys are good at singing Hallelujah.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
I'm going to go with what's probably the majority and say Jeff Buckley's version.

Yep, Buckley. Cohen sings it a lot brassier, with a lot more swagger and bravado. Buckley gives it more longing, more heartache. Makes it a far more emotional song.

I rather enjoyed this amateur version of it, although I guess she's not much of an amateur any more...

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I really like Leonard Cohen's version, especially when used in the context in the one scene of "The Watchmen".

I do not care what your opinion of the movie is (I quite love it), or that version of the song (It's just my favorite one), but in the context of the movie, it's gorgeous, and I got it on my MP3 player shortly thereafter, I loved it so much. It's a good song.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
I'm going to go with what's probably the majority and say Jeff Buckley's version. looking at the thread I now feel silly.

That's just hauntingly beautiful. His voice and that guitar tone are just fantastic, there's a version somewhere with a super-long intro on it and that's even more mindblowingly brilliant.
I second this one.
His version is just so damn brilliant, I don't care if I couldn't be any more mainstream except by hating on Nickleback.
Buckley brought this song as close to perfection as a human being can bring a song.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I'd have to say that Jeff's is by far the best.

And this is his best version of it

Not only is it a genuinely great performance (a rarity for Jeff) but its packed with more emotion than the studio version.
And the bad quality cam adds to it if you ask me.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:

I actually prefer the original studio version myself, it just seems even more awesome and somber to me.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
As much as I love the Cohen version (being the Cohen fanboy that I am), I'd still put Rufus Wainwright's cover over it. Aside from the nostalgia factor from it being in Shrek, he has the most gorgeous voice that absolutely fits the song.

I always remember my dad being slightly disappointed with the fact that I preferred the Wainwright cover over the Buckley version.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
How about this one?
<YOUTUBE=usfiAsWR4qU>

Georg Friedrich Händel - Oratorio - Messiah, HWV 56
Part 2, No. 44 Chorus
Hallelujah Chorus
Performed by The English Concert & Choir