Which WiiU and 3DS Games are Good to Start With

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I have both a WiiU and 3DS now. I have only one WiiU game (NintendoLand, came with it), and one 3DS game (Virtue's Last Reward). Tons of Wii and DS games, though. You know, to tide me over until I get more games.

I went to the game shoppe the other day and looked at the games available. I asked the cashier which WiiU games were good. He scoffed, rolled his eyes dramatically, and said, "Uh... Mario?"

So I started naming off the games on the shelf to get a reaction out of him, even if his opinion was worth squat now. DarkSiders 2, Batman AA, AssCreed3, etc. His response was, "Meh, sucks, Ha." Not the most helpful cashier in this known universe.

Now I'm asking for your fair, unjust opinion. Which games for the Wii U should I start with?

I also noticed tons of 3DS games now. Which 3DS games should I keep my eye on?

There are no gaming preferences. I'll play everything across the board from shooters to platformers to jrpgs to puzzlegames to sports games.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Also, isn't Monster Hunter just round the corner?
By the gods you're right. Sometime next year, in fact. And I loved MHTri, so that one is going on the list.

Will indeed look into the cheapos you pointed out. Thanks!

edit - and of course the Mario game as well. I don't have anything against first party titles, just employees who speak of them with contempt.

PFCboom

Sep 20, 2012
3DS, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. While technically part of a trilogy that started with "Last Spectre" on the DS, it works perfectly fine as a stand-alone title. My first Layton game was the second one ever made, "Diabolical Box" and I was able to immerse myself in the Layton world without a problem.

3DS, Cave Story. Not every game really justifies the 3D aspect of the 3DS. Cave Story is one of the few games that really does look great with the 3D on. And, of course, it's one of the best "indie" titles I've ever known. I love Cave Story so much, I bought it twice, on the PC first, and now the 3DS.

3DS, LoZ: Ocarina of Time. If you haven't played it yet, now's as good a time as any. I mean, come on, it's freakin' Ocarina of Time.

3DS, Resident Evil: Revelations. This opinion does not come from me, personally, but I trust my friend's opinion that it's a great game to begin with, and it's worthy of being part of the Resident Evil franchise. Like Cave Story, it makes good use of the 3D, and it's hard not to recommend something that can boast even that much.

WiiU, Mario. Yeah, sounds like the cashier was a tool when he mentioned it, but he wasn't wrong. It's Mario. In HD. Do it.

WiiU, Ninja Gaiden 3. Ninjas, blood, bewbs. It's okay to put this one lower on your list, but it's not a bad game, to be sure.

WiiU, Trine 2: Director's Cut. Personally, I found Trine 2 a little hard to jump into, but I can recognize it's a great game with some of the most stunningly gorgeous visual aesthetics I've seen.

WiiU, Darksiders II. It's... fun. I really can't say a whole helluva lot about this game, except that it's just fun to play. Like Ninja Gaiden 3, it's okay to put lower on your list, but if you happen to see it for the right price, by all means, pick it up.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Personal Recommendation: Mighty Switch Force. It was a 3DS game, but was given an HD edition with extra bonus levels for the WiiU. Very good, not expensive at all.

WiiU: I second New Super Mario Bros U. A great, solid platformer, and HD does wonders for the Mario series. Not a blockbuster, but worth the money, especially if you're a completionist.

3DS: Mario 3D Land. Same thing about NSMBU.

3DS: Pushmo and its sequel Crashmo. Two cheap downloadable titles. Fun little puzzle games.

3DS: Sakura Samurai. Bit of a hard time describing it. It's like a 3D Punch-Out.

There's plenty of old NES and Gameboy games on the 3DS shop as well.

KRbertsproduck5

May 29, 2010
I think that The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time would be a better first game then Mario 3D Land. I didn't really like 3D Land all to much most likely because the main part is short and the challenge stages are just slightly different versions of the first 8 worlds. It didn't take me very long to finish and get burnt out on the game completely. But Legend of Zelda really different. It takes a little bit longer to finish and there are also a lot of side things to do. Then when you beat it you unlock the master quest. It has vastly different dungeons and the whole world is mirrored. A close second is Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Scribblenauts: Unlimited on WiiU is probably the best game ever made. So go with that. Just use more than just Cthulhu. Spawning Cthulu with lazer eyes every mission is boring. Plus it doesn't work on about half of them anyway.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Quaidis said:
I have both a WiiU and 3DS now. I have only one WiiU game (NintendoLand, came with it), and one 3DS game (Virtue's Last Reward). Tons of Wii and DS games, though. You know, to tide me over until I get more games.

I went to the game shoppe the other day and looked at the games available. I asked the cashier which WiiU games were good. He scoffed, rolled his eyes dramatically, and said, "Uh... Mario?"

So I started naming off the games on the shelf to get a reaction out of him, even if his opinion was worth squat now. DarkSiders 2, Batman AA, AssCreed3, etc. His response was, "Meh, sucks, Ha." Not the most helpful cashier in this known universe.

Now I'm asking for your fair, unjust opinion. Which games for the Wii U should I start with?

I also noticed tons of 3DS games now. Which 3DS games should I keep my eye on?

There are no gaming preferences. I'll play everything across the board from shooters to platformers to jrpgs to puzzlegames to sports games.
He was kinda right . The WiiU just came out . The games for it sucks , just like at ever console launch since forever . I really don't understand why people buy consoles on release and then ask what games to buy . There is like 4 games for the thing , that aren't already on other consoles . I just don't understand !

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
List of games for the 3DS:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Theatrythm Final Fantasy
Tales of the Abyss
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
Resident Evil: Revelations
Phoenix Wright 5
(not yet released)

List of NDS games that can be played on the 3DS:

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Apollo Justice Ace Attorney
Miles Edgeworth Ace Attorney: Investigations
Megaman Zero Collection
Chrono Trigger
Picross
Picross 3D
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

List of games for the Wii U:

I haven't done much research on the Wii U as I have no plans to get one anytime soon. I can't really help here.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I actually bought myself a 3DS XL on the weekend, the games I got were:

- New Super Mario Bros 2

- Mario Kart 7

- Zelda The Ocarina of Time

- Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

- Virtue's Last Reward

All the reviews I've read praised these games very highly so I recommend getting them as a start.

For games you should keep your on for 3DS, definitely look out for when the sequel to Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime is released to Western audiences, that game was in my opinion one of the best titles on the DS and the sequel is apparently just as amazing.

Also the Rune Factory series is fantastic on DS, the 4th one should come out for 3DS sometime soon, its out in Japan at the moment I believe. Its basically Harvest Moon but with more RPG elements and a classic Zelda style combat system, with dungeons to explore and mining etc. The first Rune Factory was also one of the best DS titles I've played and I've heard that 2 and 3 are even better so 4 should be outstanding.

If they release any classic style Castlevania games on the 3DS in the future then get those (none of that Lords of Shadow bullshit.)

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
SlaveNumber23 said:
Also the Rune Factory series is fantastic on DS, the 4th one should come out for 3DS sometime soon, its out in Japan at the moment I believe. Its basically Harvest Moon but with more RPG elements and a classic Zelda style combat system, with dungeons to explore and mining etc. The first Rune Factory was also one of the best DS titles I've played and I've heard that 2 and 3 are even better so 4 should be outstanding.

If they release any classic style Castlevania games on the 3DS in the future then get those (none of that Lords of Shadow bullshit.)
I love Rune Factory. Because how can you not? It is, like you said, HM with monsters. I have one and two on DS and Tides of Destiny and Frontier on the Wii.

Will look out for those Castlevania games.

Exius Xavarus said:
List of games for the 3DS:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Theatrythm Final Fantasy
Tales of the Abyss
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
Resident Evil: Revelations
Phoenix Wright 5
(not yet released)

List of NDS games that can be played on the 3DS:

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Apollo Justice Ace Attorney
Miles Edgeworth Ace Attorney: Investigations
Megaman Zero Collection
Chrono Trigger
Picross
Picross 3D
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

List of games for the Wii U:

I haven't done much research on the Wii U as I have no plans to get one anytime soon. I can't really help here.
Roger, yes sir. You get points for listing all the Phoenix Wright games. The best game series out there. I like your taste in games. I will follow your advice on everything else you mentioned (sooner or later, when I get the funds).

krazykidd said:
He was kinda right . The WiiU just came out . The games for it sucks , just like at ever console launch since forever . I really don't understand why people buy consoles on release and then ask what games to buy . There is like 4 games for the thing , that aren't already on other consoles . I just don't understand !
Tell me which games suck? Have you played them? I don't know about you, but heard from lots of people that ZombieU is one of the best games out there right now and a revival of survival horror. And what are your opinions on DarkSiders2, Asscreed3, BatmanAA, and Ninja Gaiden? Believe it or not, I haven't played any of those games yet.

I bought the system on release because it was awesome. Nintendoland is addictive fun. I made this thread, asked these questions, because I am short on change this year and of the dozen or so games out for it right now, I would like to spend my vacation time enjoying something grand. =D