Which Xcom Game is the best?

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Hello escapist gaming world

I'm starting to get cived out and i lost the code for Medieval total war. So I was looking for some new tbs before i have to learn playing a game with real people. I started playing X-com ufo defense. it seems like a lot of fun but their are some interface annoyances and minor things that are bugging me. So i was wondering if you could tell me which Xcom would be the best one to start with, if I've never played x-com before? should I play with a more recent iteration, or just go for the original.

Your advice and opinions are appreciated. Also feel free to leave tips for newbs like me on getting started with the game

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
BJ777 said:
The new XCOM.
FPS>Turn Based gameplay.
I respect your opinion but i doubt SMAC would have been even more perfect if you got to fire the planet busters yourself...although...

i love shooters, but there is a time and place for everything, and im talking about the need to play a nice easy paced strategic tbs. I have l4d2 and fo:nv for shooting things and saints row for when i just need to be a psychpath

quadturbo4

Feb 8, 2010
X-Com: Terror From the Deep is my favorite by some margin. It's HARD, though, and the battles tend to last for a LONG time.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
terror from the deep was my favorite. but true it was hard...

every X-Com was hard, especially those pesty chrysalids in the forst one and the flying brain thing in the second one

Apocalypse was nice for graphics, but i didnt liked the story much

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Alot of people say terror from the deep is more "balanced" but I've only really ever played UFO Defense. Which is funny, because I do own Terror From the Deep thanks to steam.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
BJ777 said:
The new XCOM.
FPS>Turn Based gameplay.
I'm amazed at your ability to play a game that doesn't even have a concrete release date yet.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
AC10 said:
BJ777 said:
The new XCOM.
FPS>Turn Based gameplay.
I'm amazed at your ability to play a game that doesn't even have a concrete release date yet.
Are you really going to say that you don't think that the new xcom is gonna be awesome.
BTW: which would you preffer; an old turn-based game from the 90's(hit or miss) or a brand new game with innovative gameplay which also takes another perspective into account to revolutionize an already great formula?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
BJ777 said:
The new XCOM.
FPS>Turn Based gameplay.
what is it like to be sooo wrong?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Worgen said:
BJ777 said:
The new XCOM.
FPS>Turn Based gameplay.
what is it like to be sooo wrong?
Oh great fanboy rage(!)
Read this:
BJ777 said:
AC10 said:
BJ777 said:
The new XCOM.
FPS>Turn Based gameplay.
Are you really going to say that you don't think that the new xcom is gonna be awesome.
BTW: which would you preffer; an old turn-based game from the 90's(hit or miss) or a brand new game with innovative gameplay which also takes another perspective into account to revolutionize an already great formula?

XzarTheMad

Oct 10, 2008
First one for me. The whole psy thing was bogus, though, but everything leading up to it was fopping awesome. I still play it to this day. :D

Continuity

May 20, 2010
First one, its a classic and to be frank one of the best games i've played. I still play it even now sometimes.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
The First one, although I consider TFTD and Apocalypse excellent as well.
As for the upcoming FPS, I'm willing to give it a chance.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
BJ777 said:
HALO =/= INNOVATIVE IN ANY WAY.

oops, did i use too many syllables for you? shooters are bland, boring, too simple, and overdone.
this forum was about xcom, but can i just say that Halo was innovative for its time. Its just been cloned so many times, its now seen as commonplace. Calling Halo a generic shooter is like calling "The Lord of The Rings" a standard fantasy novel

this being said, the new xcom is being made by the creators of bioshock 2, so it probably will be a standard shooter

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
BJ777 said:
AC10 said:
BJ777 said:
The new XCOM.
FPS>Turn Based gameplay.
It was an amazing game. Just because it's older than you does not mean it should be discredited. As a fan of the series, the new game looks like blasphemy to me. However, I will play it and give it a try when it comes out.

Keep in mind, it will also not be the first FPS game set in the X-Com universe. X-Com enforcer was and it was likewise terrible. Additionally, 2K Marin is a hack of a studio. My thoughts on the matter here:

http://weaversgameblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/2k-marin-honestly-what-hell.html