While there are many men who play as female character in an online game?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Because I've been a dude my whole life.

Why would I do s9 in a video game too?

Though if they've got a robot option, I'll generally take that,

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Most MMOs have 3rd person cameras and a lot of grinding. If you're going to be stuck staring at your character's ass through all that grinding, it might as well be one you like to stare at.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don said:
Every male secretly wants to be a cute girl and wear cute accessories and frilly things.
Its no secret. Always pick female if I had a choice. Accessories and frilly things? Nah. Just wear whatever a dude does.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I don't know, why do men who don't play as women play as men? I like badass women (when I say badass, I mean I'm the type who rubs his hand together in glee when character customization allows me to make my character's face a clustered mess of scar tissue) so I play as badass women.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Like others,

- I like seeing attractive women doing cool stuff.
- I'm taking down a 30 ton monster with a sawblade, my avatars basis in reality isn't really important.
- It's a break from "Generic White 30ish dude with stubble" who are the normal protagonists of games.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
erttheking said:
I don't know, why do men who don't play as women play as men? I like badass women (when I say badass, I mean I'm the type who rubs his hand together in glee when character customization allows me to make my character's face a clustered mess of scar tissue) so I play as badass women.
I once talked to a co worker who said didn't like Tomb Raider(2013) because, no shit, playing a girl made him feel icky. So yeah, there's that. Of all the things to criticize(and there are many), that was why he didn't like it.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Pyrian said:
Most men would prefer to spend their gaming time staring at a female character, I suspect.
This, if I'm going to spend the next 100 hours playing through SWTOR, I'd rather see a good looking woman then a man.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I flip a coin if I'm given the option and play whatever side it lands on. If I play the game again I do so as the opposite to see how much of a difference it makes.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I am female and prefer to play female characters. It helps me though that so many guys do because it reduces the amount that you are singled out and targeted for being female now that there are numerous female characters to play in most games. Of course, that all changes on comms and nothing reduces it there. In the past though, it was very rough on actual females playing due to males doing stupid stuff pretending to be girls then they blame actual girls for their nonsense. The more females who play though help reduce the BS that comes along with it for the most part.

tippy2k2 said:
If I have the option, I always try to make myself so I always play as a dude. Generally a blond haired, blue eyes, goatee guy who is more muscly and sexy than I am in real life but damn it, let me have this one!!!!

*sobs quietly in the corner
Yea, the guy sleeping next to me right now does the same thing you do. He is blonde for real and always makes his characters the same as you described. They all seem to look like he does. He refuses to play a female character. When he was on one of my accounts once doing some PVE nonsense I refuse to do, some dude kept following him talking to him and it really pissed him off to the point he logged off swearing about it and went somewhere else to make the guy go away. he told me " I am not going to have some "F@$%!#@" Following me around saying that shat" and he told me he does not know how I put up with the crap people say to me. After so many years of it you become immune to most of it and do not even notice it. Most of the time I never use any in game chat anyhow and only play on Voice comms anyhow so I never usually see that stuff to begin with.

I usually do not make characters look like me. I make them with white, blue, silver or pink hair if I can rather than make them look like a natural person.

Potjeslatinist

Feb 3, 2016
I like variety. Most games with a fixed protagonist only offer a male option, so when I get the choice, I'll often choose or create a female character. Not always though - my current build in Dark Souls 3 is male, for example. But most of the time.

Sometimes it's because the voice actress is simply better than the actor, like in Mass Effect or DA:I.

I also like ranged rogue characters. Women tend to sport that look better.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Lil devils x said:
I am female and prefer to play female characters. It helps me though that so many guys do because it reduces the amount that you are singled out and targeted for being female now that there are numerous female characters to play in most games. Of course, that all changes on comms and nothing reduces it there. In the past though, it was very rough on actual females playing due to males doing stupid stuff pretending to be girls then they blame actual girls for their nonsense. The more females who play though help reduce the BS that comes along with it for the most part.
Getting propositioned is a bit weird too. Far too many people (at least used to) just trot up to my avatar, comment on my look and ask for action. No small talk, no how do you do?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
trunkage said:
Lil devils x said:
Getting propositioned is a bit weird too. Far too many people (at least used to) just trot up to my avatar, comment on my look and ask for action. No small talk, no how do you do?
yea still happens all the time if I bother with in game chat. Happens on voice comms too but since they are more likely to get booted from private voice severs when pulling that shat, it happens less than in game chat these days. But then again, I stay away from public voice comms these days too so I see it less, probably just as rampant as ever but you won't find me on public servers, that is madness.

Jan 19, 2016
I'll play either gender, so for me it depends either on the character models and animations (such as in WoW) or on story elements (like in Dragon Age) which are gender gated.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Bilious Green said:
I'll play either gender, so for me it depends either on the character models and animations (such as in WoW) or on story elements (like in Dragon Age) which are gender gated.
I do play different characters in order to access different game content, but it does irritate me a bit to have to do so to be able to access that content. The developers see the different characters and classes as chance to give players multiple play throughs to have a different experience, I personally would rather be able to just access all of that content from the character I enjoy playing the most instead. Yea, I know I should quit my whining about it and just be happy they even add such content to personalize the experience, it just always irks me to have to make another character to do so.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
I pick the gender of characters mostly on a whim, but since most games don't have the option to play as a female character i tend to pick one more often than not when given the choice between the two

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I never play female characters.

I mean, okay, I played some in the past- like the Metroid games were pretty fun. And in a game like The Binding Of Issac I played all of the characters (I just wanted to be thorough). But I don't choose female protagonists ordinarily if there's a choice, and if the default is a female character, then I'll usually skip the game.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
the December King said:
I never play female characters.

I mean, okay, I played some in the past- like the Metroid games were pretty fun. And in a game like The Binding Of Issac I played all of the characters (I just wanted to be thorough). But I don't choose female protagonists ordinarily if there's a choice, and if the default is a female character, then I'll usually skip the game.
After so many years of not having female characters to choose from, I do the exact same thing now ( skip the game) but with male only character games. If I can only choose from a male character now, the game better be something outstanding and my friends would have to force me to come play it for me to give it the time of day.

They really should have the option to play either these days. Sadly though there are not too many where the default character is female, the default is almost always male, and even when you are given a choice to play a female, the game still usually treats you as a male. I would hope you would not pass on a game if they did the same to you in reverse. Girls have been putting up with that shat for decades now, it would not kill guys to deal with a tad bit more of it. At least you could still walk around as a male even though the game treats you like a girl! Most games didn't even give us that.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Lil devils x said:
After so many years of not having female characters to choose from, I do the exact same thing now ( skip the game) but with male only character games. If I can only choose from a male character now, the game better be something outstanding and my friends would have to force me to come play it for me to give it the time of day.
I can understand this. I'm happy that you have choices now.

They really should have the option to play either these days.
Agreed! I feel that that's the best way to have a game, especially with a robust character creation system.
Sadly though there are not too many where the default character is female, the default is almost always male, and even when you are given a choice to play a female, the game still usually treats you as a male.
Now that's interesting. Are you looking for a game that offers a different experience for the female protagonist from the male one?
I would hope you would not pass on a game if they did the same to you in reverse.
Well, I might have. I mean, I have played lots of games that give you the option to play a female protagonist, but I'll almost always choose the male. No... actually, I'll always choose a monster or alien or robot first. Even if the inhuman choice is female (though ideally more inhuman than recognizably female by any human standards). But if the protagonist is a choice between a male or female human, I choose male.
Girls have been putting up with that shat for decades now, it would not kill guys to deal with a tad bit more of it.
I'm missing out on several amazing looking games right now that look like they'd be kick-ass to play and enjoy, if I could just get past this little hang up of mine. On the other hand, there are some things I'd rather not deal with in my escapism. I'm not saying that this should be the way things are, this is just the way I like things to be for me.
At least you could still walks around as a male even though the game treats you like a girl! Most games didn't even give us that.
I don't follow you, sorry- could you clarify this?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
the December King said:
Lil devils x said:
I can understand this. I'm happy that you have choices now.

They really should have the option to play either these days.
Agreed! I feel that that's the best way to have a game, especially with a robust character creation system.
Sadly though there are not too many where the default character is female, the default is almost always male, and even when you are given a choice to play a female, the game still usually treats you as a male.
Now that's interesting. Are you looking for a game that offers a different experience for the female protagonist from the male one?
I would hope you would not pass on a game if they did the same to you in reverse.
Well, I might have. I mean, I have played lots of games that give you the option to play a female protagonist, but I'll almost always choose the male. No... actually, I'll always choose a monster or alien or robot first. Even if the inhuman choice is female (though ideally more inhuman than recognizably female by any human standards). But if the protagonist is a choice between a male or female human, I choose male.
Girls have been putting up with that shat for decades now, it would not kill guys to deal with a tad bit more of it.
I'm missing out on several amazing looking games right now that look like they'd be kick-ass to play and enjoy, if I could just get past this little hang up of mine. On the other hand, there are some things I'd rather not deal with in my escapism. I'm not saying that this should be the way things are, this is just the way I like things to be for me.
At least you could still walks around as a male even though the game treats you like a girl! Most games didn't even give us that.
I don't follow you, sorry- could you clarify this?
Most of the games where you can play a female, even when the default was male, the NPC dialog and story remains the same so when you go through the game, they still call you "sir" and default treat you as a male. They have gone as far to have female NPC's still hit on you and flirt with you as if you were male. Some still even required you to have sex with a female NPC prostitute as a quest... I was saying that if they did the reverse to where you choose to be a male and the female was default, they call you "lass" or " miss" ect even though you are a guy like they do the females by calling them "sir" and the story still treats you as if you were a girl when playing a male character so you better understand what they have been putting us through all these years.