While there are many men who play as female character in an online game?

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Oh, I see what you mean now! That is lazy writing and sexist, and I'm sorry you, and other female gamers (EDIT: or just, you know, people who wanted a proper treatment of the opposite sex in the lead role), have had to deal with that (and may still have to). It would have frustrated me immensely to have to be referenced to as a woman while playing a man, and forced to engage in romantic relationships as though I was a woman, that's for sure.

And I totally wouldn't play said game if it happened- at least nowadays.

sixnahalf

Oct 17, 2013
the December King said:
Oh, I see what you mean now! That is lazy writing and sexist, and I'm sorry you, and other female gamers (EDIT: or just, you know, people who wanted a proper treatment of the opposite sex in the lead role), have had to deal with that (and may still have to). It would have frustrated me immensely to have to be referenced to as a woman while playing a man, and forced to engage in romantic relationships as though I was a woman, that's for sure.

And I totally wouldn't play said game if it happened- at least nowadays.
hahahaha that a wise playing MMO lol way lol

captainsavvy

Jan 5, 2009
Tanis said:
Most male avatars look like shit?
Accurate XD

I choose women where possible
a) because I'm a woman and I like to try to create the idealised person I wish I was in real life
b) because female characters usually end up being more interesting from a design perspective than their male counterparts
c) because it's still something of a novelty to play a badass female, though it's much better than it used to be :)

I'll still play games with male protagonists though; if a character is good, I don't care what their gender is.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Because I feel like it. The female avatars are often more aesthetically pleasing and I like role playing as a badass warrior woman.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
It really depends on how well I can use the character customization. If I cannot create my waifu, then I shall attempt to create Morgan Freeman instead and just use whatever I happen to end up with after that.

My tendency to default to a black male is because of Morrowind. Back in the day, I decided to just do the in game questionnaire which assigned me with Redguard as race. I'm actually Chinese.

Though with Mass Effect, I was happy to just stick to default Male Shepard without customization.

While nowadays I'll only use a female character that I manage to make attractive, my initial motivation for using the gender was to exploit it. This was inspired by Fallout 2, where a female with the Sex Appeal trait could get additional options in and around places to gain some early game advantages. I thought I could maybe use it on real people. I ended up in a wedding in my first Ragnarok Online private server. I fully intended to get my spouse to give me shit, but it ended up being a hilarious experience since it got the whole server talking about it. Eventually my actual cover was blown my some of my real life friends that joined the server, but the server didn't last long after that anyway.

In recent days I've taken to picking the inhuman options if available. After Vermintide, I have a thing for playing grumpy dwarves now.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
captainsavvy said:
Tanis said:
Most male avatars look like shit?
Accurate XD

I choose women where possible
a) because I'm a woman and I like to try to create the idealised person I wish I was in real life
b) because female characters usually end up being more interesting from a design perspective than their male counterparts
c) because it's still something of a novelty to play a badass female, though it's much better than it used to be :)

I'll still play games with male protagonists though; if a character is good, I don't care what their gender is.

For some reason I'm reminded of playing a female character in the Souls games.

1.) Design a female character I'd like to see slay some giant monsters.
2.) Realize she's gonna look like beef jerky for 90% of the game because of hollowing(does not apply to BloodBorne).
3.) Cover her in armor so I can't see what she looks like anyway.

Aug 31, 2012
Don't really play online, and very rarely play games with a set protagonist, usually play single player with character creator. I usually find male characters end up as the power fantasy ego driven wish fulfillment type of thing and always end up as exactly the same type.
I find it harder to separate myself from the character and that usually means I tend to rage more or be less accepting when things deviate from what I would have wanted.
Also, I think women look nice. All other things being equal, in a racing game I'll pick the car I like the look of most, same for a game character.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
I alternate between male and female characters fairly evenly. Well, maybe 60:40 man:woman.

Partly just for visual variety, partly for roleplaying purposes and also because I appreciate it when devs put in little extra details that make dialogue and events a little different depending on your initial choices. "oh wow, that character did not respond that way the last time...."

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Wings012 said:
It really depends on how well I can use the character customization. If I cannot create my waifu, then I shall attempt to create Morgan Freeman instead and just use whatever I happen to end up with after that.
Well, this turned a bit sour in the last 24hrs

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
If the option is there I will always pick to play as the female character in a role playing game.

The main reason is that it helps me role play. When I play as a male character I tend to make the choices I would make, when I play as a female it helps me think on what the character would do in that situation.

Feb 7, 2016
Because they have all the good long hair options while male characters get fucked over.

Really though, I usually make a male character from the start, but then a female character later on.

The reasons vary by game though. Some of them are quite simple, like the aforementioned hairstyles issue. Others are more personal, such as my slight desire to be a female. It's an easy and safe way to play around with that idea, especially in online games that don't particularly mind or care who's actually on the other end of the screen.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Whatever fulfills Traditional Gender Rolls to the fullest.

It's not that big of deal usually, but sometimes you just have to go for the cheese and get into the role of your bimbo avatar.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
For me part of it is definitely having an attractive avatar to look at, but I also find female characters more interesting to play as sometimes.

Commander Shepard in Mass Effect is a good example. While I play both versions fairly equally, I enjoy Femshep a bit more, largely due to how much more personality Jennifer Hale puts into her performance.

Mark Meer tends to be a bit too... stoic.

Feb 26, 2014
Basically what The Rogue Wolf said. Even more bonus points if the races have characteristics that humans don't, Like Dwarven women growing thick beards. Something more than "Human, but taller, red, with horns" or "Human, but short".

I typically don't make female characters in any game that doesn't allow my warrior to actually look like a warrior. If she looks like a cosplayer (The sexy outfit kind) or a stripper, I'll most likely stick to creating male characters. It's not that I don't want the sexy armors and what not, I just don't want it to be my only option.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
I always play as a female character, especially in third person games, if I am going to stare at an ass for hours a day I want to see a nice one... Yeah I am a perv, wanna fight about it?

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Don't you even know what MMORPG stands for?

Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

In my case (like some others have said) I'd say it's a mixture of;

- I'd rather stare at a female avatar for hours than a male one (since I'll be seeing a lot of them anyway)
- Usually there's a lot more options for customization (especially with haircuts)
- Extra layer of escapism (I often make my characters black as well since I'm white)
- There's already a lot of the same white grizzled male protagonist in way too many games; this balances it out a little

MGaming

Apr 24, 2018
As someone who does this myself, I find that allows a larger variety if you allow yourself to play as both genders. Especially in a game that allows you to have customisation. At least, that's my reason. I just find that it allows more variety, plus it seems more fitting to role you're playing. For example, when I play World of Warcraft, my Mage and Priest are females while my Death Knight and Paladin are male, simply because I like the attack motions the gender of that particular race has on that class. See?