White House Denies UFO Contact

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Ha! If we never had contact with extraterrestrial life, and you think the notion of it is foolish, why dignify it with a response!?!?

WHAT ARE YOU HIDING!?!? Obama is a shape shifting lizard man isnt he!?!? I knew a black man would never get into office! REVOLT! Spread the truth!

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
This seems like a good place to get into my theory of why aliens don't contact us.

The Kardashev scale [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale] describes different types of civilizations that might potentially exist on other planets. Michio Kaku also explains it in this video.

Here's what I think. In order to achieve Level 1 status, a civilization must first achieve global consciousness. This implies that every Level 1, 2, or 3 civilization in existence has done the same. Once a civilization reaches that point, they are welcomed into the galactic government with open arms. Before achieving the technology, a civilization must overcome certain cultural hurdles. Its citizens must put their greed aside, and work together for the greater good of the team. The definition of a Level 1 civilization implies that they learned to stop destroying their planet, and instead work with it. My guess is that the vast majority of civilizations do not survive the transition to Level 1.

As Michio Kaku explained, there is likely a Level 3 civilization waiting for us to achieve Level 1 status. So why not help us? Why not destroy us?

Helping us could potentially prove disastrous to the galactic community. All Level 1 civilizations have the culture to be able to handle the technology. They are at a point where they would be useful to other civilizations, and could work together peacefully, for mutual benefit. Any civilizations that would cause problems never made it in the first place.

The reasons to not destroy us should be fairly self evident at this point. For one, they don't need our resources. They have that well under control. They have nothing to fear from us, because if we might pose a threat, we will just destroy ourselves. Above all, in the event that we are able to achieve Level 1 status, we could end up being helpful to other civilizations.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
It's an absolute non-story and easy (read: lazy) journalism to pad stories with what the government doesn't have records on. Guess what, US government denies it has any records on Sesame Street terrorist cell; dun, dun, dunnnn!

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
I looked at the title and then I looked at the source. Then I thought "Those rat bastards sold our asses out...." This is like a bad XCOM playthrough when you put your base in the USA and they're the first one to betray you.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
That's just what the Government WOULD say if they had made contact. WHAT ARE YOU HIDING WHITE HOUSE?

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Th fact that they even had to issue that statement says a lot of not so good things about people's gullibility and superstitions.
No more than the Birth Certificate "scandal" that's followed the Obama adminsitration for like 4 years.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Exterminas said:
Why would they even bother to respond to such a silly petition?
Highly suspicious!

I mean, if I get a petition going, asking the White House to clarify if there are Witches or not, will it get the same attention?
That's silly. Everyone knows Obama's a witch.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Exar Kun85 said:
"Here come the MEN IN BLACK".....

OT: Because the US government would never lie to it's citizens, right?

...right?

Heroes and Cons

Mar 23, 2011
buy teh haloz said:
Why did I read that as "we don't want to spend more on the space program. Now get off our backs."?
I really hope this is true, TBH. The American Government spends billions of dollars in space travel / investigation, when that money could be put to far better use for curing cancer, helping the homeless, NEW ORLEANS (yes, White House, it's still there, we still haven't forgotten, and it's still a mess), etc.

Thank Goodness I'm British - I love America, it's a fantastic country, but I hate the American Government, even more than I hate my own government (which is saying a lot).

As for Aliens, THE CHANCES OF US MAKING CONTACT WITH INTELLIGENT LIFE IS ZERO! Whether or not there are intelligent beings somewhere out there, it would take centuries, possibly millenia for those lifeforms to contact us from those distances - there is no intelligent life outside of Earth within feasible contact range.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
My only gripe with the "high probability of aliens" that people talk about is the equation that people trot out to make it seem likely and scientific. The 'probability of life arising on a planet'*estimated number of habitable planets in a galaxy*number of galaxies' one.

Because there's no real data to go with it and it's really just 'P where P is the probability that there's life in the universe' made to look a bit fancier. It doesn't actually tell or prove anything because all the important numbers are missing. Heck the probability of life arising could be 1/no. of planets in the universe for all that formula knows, in which case it only proves that it's likely that we're the only ones.

Personally I prefer Probability of life= L given U union L given not U where L is the probability of Life arising and U is the existence of Unicorns.

I mean you can't deny it's true

Kevin Flemming

Oct 17, 2011
Even if there were other intelligent life-forms in the Universe that had the ability to travel to our planet, do you really think they would be interested in us? Our planet is a mess, governments and officials corrupt, there's poverty everywhere you look. If anyone visited Earth, they would probably put us out of our misery.

Heroes and Cons

Mar 23, 2011
Treblaine said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
When it comes to a lot of people doing dumb things we have far more worrying examples:
-twilight
-creationism
-justin bieber
-transformers movies
-other popular things that i think suck
I'm a Christian. I will thank you not to make fun of Creationism or call it a "dumb, worrying issue".

MordinSolus

Feb 10, 2011
GoddyofAus said:
Here's a rule: Whenever the White House goes out of its way to say something publicly, be suspicious.
But what if they never answered at all? They may be hiding something then by not saying anything.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
GoddyofAus said:
Here's a rule: Whenever the White House goes out of its way to say something publicly, be suspicious.
So Barack Obama was more likely to have a birth certificate before they announced its existance?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Gamblerjoe said:
This seems like a good place to get into my theory of why aliens don't contact us.

The Kardashev scale [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale] describes different types of civilizations that might potentially exist on other planets. Michio Kaku also explains it in this video.

Here's what I think. In order to achieve Level 1 status, a civilization must first achieve global consciousness. This implies that every Level 1, 2, or 3 civilization in existence has done the same. Once a civilization reaches that point, they are welcomed into the galactic government with open arms. Before achieving the technology, a civilization must overcome certain cultural hurdles. Its citizens must put their greed aside, and work together for the greater good of the team. The definition of a Level 1 civilization implies that they learned to stop destroying their planet, and instead work with it. My guess is that the vast majority of civilizations do not survive the transition to Level 1.

As Michio Kaku explained, there is likely a Level 3 civilization waiting for us to achieve Level 1 status. So why not help us? Why not destroy us?

Helping us could potentially prove disastrous to the galactic community. All Level 1 civilizations have the culture to be able to handle the technology. They are at a point where they would be useful to other civilizations, and could work together peacefully, for mutual benefit. Any civilizations that would cause problems never made it in the first place.

The reasons to not destroy us should be fairly self evident at this point. For one, they don't need our resources. They have that well under control. They have nothing to fear from us, because if we might pose a threat, we will just destroy ourselves. Above all, in the event that we are able to achieve Level 1 status, we could end up being helpful to other civilizations.
I love you for this glorious display of intellect and give you the gift of a Type II civilization from the perspective of a Type IV creature.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Oh please, the government is so incompetent and can barely keep the lid on what they had for breakfast, how could they possibly keep a secret that big

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I have no real faith in the government to do anything right or tell the truth about anything, but in this case I'll side with them. If for no other reason that the UFO conspiracy wankers are far more annoying.

Pretty much the same reason I don't believe in a 9/11 conspiracy or the "Faked moon landing" conspiracy, because the conspiracy theorist meme is a lot more convoluted for no apparent purpose then the government "lie".

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
So, out of curiosity, do you Americans know now who murdered your president Kennedy? Did they finally publish all the relevant files?
Did those Aliens which the White House is denying their existence did it?

Go on:
Obey, Consume and don't forget to Marry and Reproduce...
[/sarcasm]

Treblaine said:
only 17'000 signed a zero-commitment petition

When it comes to a lot of people doing dumb things we have far more worrying examples:
-twilight
-creationism
-justin bieber
-transformers movies
-other popular things that i think suck
True indeed. But I much rather have people in my neighborhood who believe that Aliens are among us than people believing in that sort of creationism that implies that Mosques and Synagogues should be banned because the people going there smell funny and look different.

kiwi_poo

Apr 15, 2009
look, if there is an intelligent species out there, and it is curious about whether there are aliens (read: us), it would take them approximatly 100 million years to send self-duplicating probes to every planet in the galaxy.

guess what: no probes. this means that either they are out there and just don't care, or we're the first in our galaxy. (or they just started and one could land ANY MINUITE!)