White House's Pokemon Intruder Wanted To Meet The President

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Alpha Maeko said:
Good thing they didn't shoot 'em.

"Secret Service mows down unarmed mentally disabled man with automatic weapons fire."

Really dodged a bullet with that one.
'em is plural.

You meant "shoot 'im"

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Neronium said:
EHKOS said:
Rule number one, if you're feeling better, KEEP TAKING THE FUCKING MEDICINE.
It's not that simple. For many people with mental disabilities, when you suddenly feel better you up and stop taking the medication because you think that you don't need it anymore. Every person in my family, and all my friends who have mental disabilities, at one point or another do this. I also say this from person experience because I've had this mindset come up from time to time as well, in fact I went through it again recently and I've had to take medication just to function in what would be considered "normal" in society for over 10 years now. Part of it is also because it gets pretty disheartening because sometimes in your mind you get the realization that just to do what is considered "normal" for other people, you have to take pill or shot after shot just to get by. Many people are ashamed of it, and it's lead to being bullied by others because of it (happened to me a lot from elementary school to high school). It gets even worse when you get into college and some people are actually prejudice to people with mental disabilities. I remember my college actually had banners everywhere to discourage people from doing it, and while I myself haven't encountered discrimination based on it, I have seen others.

Sorry if I'm coming off as hostile, I don't mean to. I've just seen a lot of people get confused about when some people with illnesses stop taking their medication, so I'd thought I'd share some personal experiences I've had with it.
My bad, I probably should have mentioned I learned this personally too.

Malpraxis

Trust me, I'm a Doctor.
Jul 30, 2013
I imagined this going very differently.

"Terrorist armed with biological weapon infiltrated White House, neutralised by SS".

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
What a truly majestic way of putting forward an important message. America and healthcare havent really met halfway yet. Especially mental healthcare. I hope the guy gets to make a much needed difference and i wish him well.x
Mental healthcare is generally well recognized and treated. It's the out of state bit that was a problem with their specific insurance policy. It would have been nice to reveal the name of the insurance provider to encourage change but pretty much all insurance companies have in-network and out of network providers so they can mitigate losses by negotiating costs with the in-network providers for services beforehand.

As for healthcare in general, as long as we don't tackle the cost side of the equation then expanding the insurance side is just punting the problem. Insurance just provides an environment in which it is easy for a hospital to charge tens of thousands of dollars for a procedure that may cost a couple thousand down the street or maybe even by a different doctor in the same hospital. What we have is a serious case of medical price gouging that isn't being pursued. Seriously, if stores can't overcharge for water or gas during times of crises, then how is it ok for hospitals to do it when you either receive the procedure or die?

We ought to do what Japan does. Figure out the costs involved in performing a procedure and come up with a reasonable percentage of profitability for medically necessary procedures. No $9 aspirins or $40k surgeries that should be $10k or less. Just maintain higher profit margins for emerging technologies to encourage their development and consumers don't lose anything. As long as the profit margin accounts for all costs (higher student loans, liability insurance, materials, labor costs, etc) then hospitals would still do damn well. Just not make out like bandits, because they are bandits.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Lightknight said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
What a truly majestic way of putting forward an important message. America and healthcare havent really met halfway yet. Especially mental healthcare. I hope the guy gets to make a much needed difference and i wish him well.x
Mental healthcare is generally well recognized and treated. It's the out of state bit that was a problem with their specific insurance policy. It would have been nice to reveal the name of the insurance provider to encourage change but pretty much all insurance companies have in-network and out of network providers so they can mitigate losses by negotiating costs with the in-network providers for services beforehand.

As for healthcare in general, as long as we don't tackle the cost side of the equation then expanding the insurance side is just punting the problem. Insurance just provides an environment in which it is easy for a hospital to charge tens of thousands of dollars for a procedure that may cost a couple thousand down the street or maybe even by a different doctor in the same hospital. What we have is a serious case of medical price gouging that isn't being pursued. Seriously, if stores can't overcharge for water or gas during times of crises, then how is it ok for hospitals to do it when you either receive the procedure or die?

We ought to do what Japan does. Figure out the costs involved in performing a procedure and come up with a reasonable percentage of profitability for medically necessary procedures. No $9 aspirins or $40k surgeries that should be $10k or less. Just maintain higher profit margins for emerging technologies to encourage their development and consumers don't lose anything. As long as the profit margin accounts for all costs (higher student loans, liability insurance, materials, labor costs, etc) then hospitals would still do damn well. Just not make out like bandits, because they are bandits.
I think the phrase "talk to the President about it" probably implies that he has either an Obamacare plan, most of which are harshly restrictive to state and providers, or more likely Medicaid coverage, which is state coverage and typically does not cross state lines. (mostly due to rampant fraud).

I feel for this guy and I hope his family realizes how lucky he is. That whole 'Secret Service guns down harmless mental patient on White House Lawn" thing? Yeah..."John Hinkley". At this stage they err on the side of shoot first that Pokemon looks charged up!

Lagslayer

Apr 18, 2011
Nearest pokemon center? Yeah, it's that big fancy building with the gate and all the security guards. No need to mention I helped you ;)

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
With all of the publicity this guy is getting, this might unironically get him the medical coverage he went to ask Obama about in the first place.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Alpha Maeko said:
Good thing they didn't shoot 'em.

"Secret Service mows down unarmed mentally disabled man with automatic weapons fire."

Really dodged a bullet with that one.
psh, it's the secret service, not the police. "not being a trigger happy fuckwit" is part of their job, after all, if someone made an attempt on the president's life, which would make more sense? kill the would-be assassin or capture him for interrogation (THEN kill him)?