White male protagonists in video games

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
MerlinCross said:
I put Ubi because it was the first one to come to mind. That's why after that sentence I said "Any of the big names". By Big names I mean Triple AAA, somewhat common knowledge, news outlets would get the names right they are big enough.
May have been an accident, but Ubi's still a good example.

I mean, if you take a look at AAA games that came out last year or are coming out this year, discounting games with non-human or player created avatars, what are we looking at?

Are there exceptions? Sure, always are. Exceptions don't disprove a trend.

I'd be happy to see a game with a cowardly, selfish female protag if it was well made. Turns out, good writing and characterisation generally isn't considered bad. Incidentally, that's where the so called "Galbrush" fallacy breaks down. Well crafted characters that break from the standard main character template almost always do well. (For the shade that gets thrown at "SJWs" for things like Bayonetta, there's actually a lot of the them who like the character, myself included. I just didn't much like the camera work.)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
DizzyChuggernaut said:
I hate how people call Commander Shepard a "straight white male" character.

No. Just. No.

The game begins WITH A GOD DAMN CHARACTER CREATION SCREEN.

Shephard can be a woman, can be black, can be ginger, can have a variety of face shapes and hairstyles. Anyone that claims that Commander Shephard is the white, generic-looking guy on the promotional material has obviously not played the game.

You might as well say that the main character of Skyrim is a brooding, muscly man with a horned helmet and a scowl.

UGH.
Yes and no, I believe the canon is supposed to be "John Shepard" and that he looks like the default settings of the character generation screen. I have not read them but apparently there has been a decent amount of spin-off media based around Mass Effect, most of it goes out of it's way to avoid dealing with the events of the game but when Shepard is mentioned, referenced, or shown it's pretty much to that default a lot like the commercials and such where it took some pushing to get Fem-shep portrayed.

As much as I'd actually like to agree with you, my understanding of the arguments over this particular IP is that while you can redefine the character in the games itself, there is a canon default which the rest of the media relies.

It's sort of like the arguments that were made about Revan in the "Knights Of The Old Republic" games since you could define Revan any way you wanted to, however as they extended the universe they created an actual canon persona for him, one that actually appears and is central to the plot of the MMO, and has apparently been featured in the novels.

With Skyrim it's a little different but mostly because they haven't to my knowledge released any kind of spin off material where they defined "The Dragonborn". Indeed Bethesda has done a pretty good job of avoiding any situations where they had to specifically define the protagonists of their RPGs. That said if at some point Bethesda ever decides "you know, we can make tons of money by telling the stories of our games as novels and comics" and as a result they produce an official "Dragonborn" or whatever that will change things, and odds are it will probably match the generic artwork with which it's represented.

Now to be fair I don't believe Shepard actually stars directly in any novels, or comics (but I could be wrong) but I have heard he has been shown, and directly referenced as a "he" when he has not been for example. I believe one of the comics also made the Liara romance canon for the first game as well, as the story was about her becoming an information broker and what she was doing between ME1 and ME2 while Shepard was out of commission, including trying to find out what happened to avenge his death because of the romance. Of course I could have that wrong, I do read a lot of comics but never tracked them down, so I relay that second hand. This pretty much means that anything you had going on with say Kaiden or Ash is non-canon apparently because Liara is the canon romance there. I have not however heard if anything was ever confirmed about Shepard supposedly having remained loyal to/with her through the whole storyline so what happens later is upon to interpretation, but apparently this indirectly confirms that Shepard is officially a straight man with a kirk-like fondness for exotically colored aliens. :)

hybridial

Feb 24, 2015
Gladion said:
I used the word "force" in this context, because usually, we tend to create characters that are more like ourselves, because we tend to tell stories that relate to ourselves - so when we "force" ourselves not to do that, that means we're making the conscious decision to do what we normally do, just a little differently. I didn't mean it to say "write things you know nothing about and don't care for". I think that's the same as "exploring possibilities".

You can still write the stuff that you want to write, tell the stories you want to tell. If you decide to randomize your characters' gender and/or skin color, that won't worsen your work. Of course, you should do it properly and not resort to stereotypes, but I considered that a given, it's part of the process.

I hope I clarified that a little.
The issue I take is that the only reason this has become such a theme under a microscope is because it's come about in the worst possible way; shouting by unreasonable people who don't care a jot about art and don't understand it at all, and who's problems are mostly false, thereby undermining the real problems in the world.

A story should be judged by it's quality, not how representational it is. I mean, these are the kind of people who would find fault in a story written about a culture that's majority white (like Scotland, where I come from) about white characters, by a white author, because the author actually *wants* to write about their own culture as they see it.

I know you think you're just making a suggestion that people should diversify characters in their story, but at the end of the day, people should just write what they want. It's a pursuit that takes time and effort, and shouldn't be subjected to this trend.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
endtherapture said:
The person who made this is stupid. For one, virtually every single box could potentially be checked off depending on how you play Mass Effect. Biotics are supernatural, referred to as Commander by over half the NPCs, has a twisted sense of humor during renegade interrupts. Hell, renegade playthroughs pretty much define anti-hero. Add to the fact that he can be something other than white and male, who ever came up with that example has no idea what the fuck they are doing.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
(1.) Unless the game has a completely linear narrative, how much of a cold, inhumane and murderous bastard your character ends up becoming by the end of it, is largely left up to the person playing the game in the first place. Heaven forbid that developers allow their players to make their own moral choices, without trying to indoctrinate them or punish them according to some preset politcal agenda.

(2.) Most games do involve a fair amount of violence.

(A.)
Being a man and being seen to actively enjoy violence (even fictional violence) is seen by some very loud, very obnoxious elements of society as a very bad thing. Which is why the overwhelming majority of male characters in games today are brooding, apathetic shit-moppets wallowing in the filth of their own internal angst for having to gall to murder the living shit out of bad people who have been written in such a way as to have had it coming all along.

(B.) I don't don't recall anyone ever telling me, "You know what's missing from this game? The character I'm playing as isn't a mouth breathing, incompetent little shit beast." It would take an astonishingly unaware person to complain about fictional characters sharing certain shared traits that would help to make them both accomplished and competent at certain shared activities. I am not at all surprised that this stupidity has McIntosh's name stamped on it. Even if the object of the game were changed from confronting conflict to running away from it as some people have suggested, as soon as that became the norm we would still have exactly the same problem of protagonists sharing advantageous character traits and thus appearing at casual inspection to lack variety.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
hybridial said:
Gladion said:
I used the word "force" in this context, because usually, we tend to create characters that are more like ourselves, because we tend to tell stories that relate to ourselves - so when we "force" ourselves not to do that, that means we're making the conscious decision to do what we normally do, just a little differently. I didn't mean it to say "write things you know nothing about and don't care for". I think that's the same as "exploring possibilities".

You can still write the stuff that you want to write, tell the stories you want to tell. If you decide to randomize your characters' gender and/or skin color, that won't worsen your work. Of course, you should do it properly and not resort to stereotypes, but I considered that a given, it's part of the process.

The issue I take is that the only reason this has become such a theme under a microscope is because it's come about in the worst possible way; shouting by unreasonable people who don't care a jot about art and don't understand it at all, and who's problems are mostly false, thereby undermining the real problems in the world.

A story should be judged by it's quality, not how representational it is. I mean, these are the kind of people who would find fault in a story written about a culture that's majority white (like Scotland, where I come from) about white characters, by a white author, because the author actually *wants* to write about their own culture as they see it.

I know you think you're just making a suggestion that people should diversify characters in their story, but at the end of the day, people should just write what they want. It's a pursuit that takes time and effort, and shouldn't be subjected to this trend.
I agree that a story and a character should be defined by its quality as opposed to its diversity quota. Automatically making a character black doesn't make the character any less derivative or dull if he's a generic character, but making a well written character white doesn't invalidate the character or make him bad.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
There are a lot of games out there. Many have character creation screens, character choice, or weird godlike holy other play styles. Many late 90's fps games made it clear that YOU are the character and so there was almost no character development. Also let us consider the vast number of games with Far Eastern main characters. Perhaps the most weird example of a game being called racist, against blacks specifically, is Resident Evil 5. In this game, wherein white imperialistic businessmen release a massive plague on helpless harmless clueless Africans because reasons, allows you to pick whether you want to be the white thirties male, or the black twenties female character. You then have to travel through the horror show of what white imperialism did to this nation, to get to triumphantly machine gun and rocket these honkies to death. You blow the last one up with a volcano! Naturally, everyone assumes this means the game's developer hates the darkies. At least everyone having hissy fits online think this, the rest of us were dodging crocodiles and having a high old time of it!

Also keep in mind that games let us pretend to be people we're not. I'm me. Why would I want to pretend to be me? I'm not an evil Asian criminal mastermind with an inexplicable British accent brutally conquering cities. I am in the Saints Row series. The closest I ever came to being annoyed at the lack of choice in a game was in Saints Row IV when I discovered that having a lady with a Russian accent is no longer possible. So my redhaired evil overlady magically became an American. I decided she must have taken speaking classes and happily continued playing.

Dynasty warriors is my favorite game series. I've poured hundreds of hours into the various games. Everyone in them is some form of Chinese, Vietnamese, or Mongolian. The closest I've seen to racially diversity in those games is inexplicable blonde hair on one girl, one or two characters that have optional black skin tones which in that part of the world would probably make them Dravidians not any flavor of African, and in DW5 you can dress up Zuo Ci to look exactly like Snidely Whiplash.

Do I get that there are many games with similar main characters? Yes I do. So, try something weird. Look through the THOUSANDS of games out there and see if there is one where the game play itself attracts you, or the hero is different. I find the game Imfamous' main character unbelievably boring, and the game's art style obnoxiously 90's comic booky. The game play makes it awesome. That's the only reason I play it. Try disconnecting and just enjoying a game for a chance to be something different. If you want to see yourself, go look in a mirror.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
hybridial said:
Gladion said:

Then I think we are not really in disagreement with each other. A shit story will remain shit, even if you change some of your characters' skin colors. I was just trying to criticize the very often stated idea that "diversity for diversity's sake", as it's usually phrased, can, under no circumstances, be beneficial to a story. I don't think anybody who has actually tried this approach themselves would say that, by the way.
I agree that it takes time and effort, but let me ask you: how is it supposed to happen, if not bit by bit, piece of art by piece of art? (No sarcasm, actual curiosity, I feel the need to emphasize that here)

Also I think you're making it really easy for yourself when you demonize the people you disagree with like that. How do you know "they" don't care about art and don't understand it at all and that their problems are maliciously made up? I agree that it happens that criticism in that regard is unjustified (like those silly people who kept telling me that The Last of Us was sexist because a woman dies in it and Ellie cries at one point). But that doesn't mean all of it is. Not even most of it.

hybridial

Feb 24, 2015
Gladion said:
Then I think we are not really in disagreement with each other. A shit story will remain shit, even if you change some of your characters' skin colors. I was just trying to criticize the very often stated idea that "diversity for diversity's sake", as it's usually phrased, can, under no circumstances, be beneficial to a story. I don't think anybody who has actually tried this approach themselves would say that, by the way.
I agree that it takes time and effort, but let me ask you: how is it supposed to happen, if not bit by bit, piece of art by piece of art? (No sarcasm, actual curiosity, I feel the need to emphasize that here)
It will happen to reflect a changing society. It can happen without people feeling forced to do it to appease a whiny few on the internet. It's very semantics here, but the devil is literally in the details for me. CHange mainly comes in art when more people practice it instead of whine about it to get their way.

Gladion said:
Also I think you're making it really easy for yourself when you demonize the people you disagree with like that. How do you know "they" don't care about art and don't understand it at all and that their problems are maliciously made up? I agree that it happens that criticism in that regard is unjustified (like those silly people who kept telling me that The Last of Us was sexist because a woman dies in it and Ellie cries at one point). But that doesn't mean all of it is. Not even most of it.
Simply put, art is someone's expression. You can criticise it if you think they've expressed something negative that you don't agree with, but, at the end of the day, it is not inherently a wrong thing. Those who would say it is and should be suppressed, are the people I am demonising, those who feel that such expression should be shamed more than criticised, should be censored merely because they disapprove of it,, and will cry terms of hate without decent merit, are about as close to physically real demons as you can get to me. I don't feel I need to name names or give details, because you really probably can't miss the kind of behaviour that I'm talking about. it's been all around lately.

Sep 24, 2008
Phasmal said:
Zhukov said:
(For example, I've always wanted to play a game with an unapologetic coward for a protagonist.)

If there's nothing but porridge on the menu, even a bowl of rice will seem novel.
That sounds like a great idea. For some reason I'm picturing a stealth game in which the most you can do if you get seen is throw things and run away making terrified sobbing noises.

I did actually try and think of any games with cowardly protagonists and I came up with nothing. Admittedly I haven't played every game in existence so there could be some, though.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to address the main topic.

OT: This card exists to point out trends, and if you're gonna try and convince me that Blando McWhite-dude isn't a trend in video games, excuse me while I throw my head back and laugh like a Musketeer.
... isn't any game where all you do is run one of those games? Like Outlast and Amnesia (I heard, I never played it)

Hell, Outlast basically says "you're a reporter, not a fighter." and prevents you from doing anything to protect yourself.

OT: It always struck me as funny that game designers always say "we're trying a different take on the genre here" and then make everyone look exactly the same.

verdant monkai said:
Damn straight. He can also be gay.

I'll say it now guys. Having a protagonist that's not a white male does not instantly make the game good.

I know its a 'trendy' 'hip' thing to hate on though. It makes me feel a lot more 'not racist' and just more politically correct in general when I do it. Sometimes when I'm slandering those samey white thugs I myself forget I am a straight white male.
As a straight black male, no one really thinks just adding someone like me will make the game good.

However, there's some truth to having the white male being one of the most accepted people one earth constitute a cheap short cut.

Hell, because of Hollywood's practices, there are non-american cultures who receive hollywood movies poorly if there isn't a white guy lead. Because they are convinced the non-white guy can't be a hero.

The White Male lead is a overused short cut saying "See him? Obvious paragon of something we're aiming for. Just go with whatever he does."

Having a white male lead as the hero is as trite as making the protagonist apart of the military. Most agree that we're kind of done with run of the mill soldiers. What's wrong with having the same feelings for just white male protagonist as well?

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
erttheking said:
Question. Why does the thousand year old warrior monk who can't have sex ever have her tits out and is walking around in high heels?
It was a character design thing, to better get her character across, methinks. Samara is a nearly thousand years old mystic warrior monk, which is why she is dressed like that, she's supposed to have this aura of maturity and mystery around her. Just like Jack wasn't wearing much in the upper body department other than a bra, because the designers felt her extensive amount of tatoos could more effectively express her personality as well as her extensive troublesome past, than any piece of armor or clothing could.
Plus the asari culture is pretty big on fertility and beauty, so there you have it.

Also it's not that she can't have sex, she just chooses not to. She's grown old and has found peace with where she has ended up, she doesn't want to start a new relationship now.

l33t.heathen

Jul 10, 2010
Gladion said:
creating more diverse characters with the intent of just having more diverse characters pretty much automatically leads to more interesting characters. That is because when you force yourself to do new stuff (like writing characters), you generall get better at it, tying back to your (correct) point that the quality of writing is extremely important in this matter.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
People are focusing too much on melanin and not on the bad writing this represents, skilled writers are naturally going to end up with diverse characters. Get more skilled writers in the game industry and less hacks and this problem fixes itself.

This is a symptom, and the disease is shitty unimaginitive writers.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Gaming could use more diversity but not for the sake of diversity...That being said though I would have much rather played through Watch_Dogs as Clara. She seemed much more interesting than Aiden and it seemed like an injustice to keep her cooped up on the island base thing. Hell, playing as Jordi would have made for a much more interesting experience than playing as Aiden. If nothing else, I could have played as someone who ripped on Aiden being a wanna-be Batman, crybaby just as much as I did.

Also think its kind of funny how Commander Shepard is pointed out and given a SWM-Bingo Card when that character is a literal blank slate who could be any race or, gender...well, one of two genders and one of four races...There are literally dozens of other SWMs they could have chosen to point out like Nathan Drake, Starkiller, etc...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Halla Burrica said:
erttheking said:
Question. Why does the thousand year old warrior monk who can't have sex ever have her tits out and is walking around in high heels?
It was a character design thing, to better get her character across, methinks. Samara is a nearly thousand years old mystic warrior monk, which is why she is dressed like that, she's supposed to have this aura of maturity and mystery around her. Just like Jack wasn't wearing much in the upper body department other than a bra, because the designers felt her extensive amount of tatoos could more effectively express her personality as well as her extensive troublesome past, than any piece of armor or clothing could.
Plus the asari culture is pretty big on fertility and beauty, so there you have it.

Also it's not that she can't have sex, she just chooses not to. She's grown old and has found peace with where she has ended up, she doesn't want to start a new relationship now.
Ok, Jack's character design works. But I'm sorry, when I think mysterious I don't think high heels and absoulte clevage.

Also, when was Asari culture designed to be about fertility? I know they said that Asari have sex crazy phases, but that's during their first 350 years. Samara was well over a thousand. Plus she's supposed to be chaste.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
It's funny I started DA:I, um-ed and ah-ed about it for ages, went through all the options for the different races and sexs...then made a white straight male inquisitor.

I like him though, he's a silver fox in his late 30s early 40s with white hair. A religious warrior mage with a sense of humor like something out of Archer.

Edit: I guess my point, is you can still have interesting white male protagonists in games. Though that game is great for diversity, lots of strong female characters.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Considering the vast amount of choices in the character creation and your skills you may tick or untick almost any one of these for protagonist of Mass Effect.

then again this is twitter with twitter level posts. that is, the lowest you can get at clickbait.