White shirt cop punches out a female protestor

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Actual said:
While we can't blame all police for this we can blame the people running the police force. Untrained, violent, or unprofessional people should be removed from the force.

It's a guy that gets hit and there's footage of a few seconds before the attack. If the civilian did hit the cop it happened quite a bit before the cop hit back, at least a few seconds and enough to make it clear that the officer wasn't in any immediate danger. The police officer is committing assault, not doing his job.
Taking this into account, I wish some more people would have beat the shit out of him.

Cops need to be held accountable for assaulting civilians, and they never are.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Lilani said:
lunncal said:
Actually the protestor was male, judging by the side-view version that is links in the description of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS7WHeEtTvQ

Also judging by that side-view, it looks like the protestor was just peacefully walking along when he got punched. I'd say the cop was far out of line there, but we really need to stop blaming police-officers as a whole when one does something wrong. They're out there on the streets putting themselves at risk for our safety, and that deserves a lot of respect.
The cop was after the guy for something, that much we can be sure of. I'm sure he wasn't trying to get his attention for the fun of it, or just to pick a fight like many seem to think. Instigating violence in a situation like that would be idiotic--it would only put the officer, his fellow officers, and everyone else in the area in even more danger. Of course nobody will think of it that way, and will use this video and others like it as bloody shirts and ways to legitimize making them not-so-peaceful protests.
Uh...maybe the cop convinced himself that the other guy was up to something, and went from there? Like how, even after a person is ruled not guilty, the arresting officers almost always just KNOW that the person was still definitely guilty of, if not that, then something else equally serious?

We can't be sure that the cop was after him for any good reason, it could be a HUGE misinterpretation of signals. Like cops shooting people for "having an aggressive stance."

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
I lose sympathy when someoe actively goes out of their way to put a cop in a dangerous situation. didnt have it for the kid that got shot cause he charged a cop, dont have it for this woman. if you're dumb enough to strike someone with the badge, I wont weep when the full fury comes down on you.
I do believe that is put better then I could ever say.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
Why do you have to point out the fact that i's a female protester? Does it make a difference?
It might as well have been a man, it would still be just as bad.

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
I thought protesting was a basic human right we went to war for in Libya to protect? I guess it matters less if it's your own corrupt regime being protested.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
chadachada123 said:
Uh...maybe the cop convinced himself that the other guy was up to something, and went from there? Like how, even after a person is ruled not guilty, the arresting officers almost always just KNOW that the person was still definitely guilty of, if not that, then something else equally serious?

We can't be sure that the cop was after him for any good reason, it could be a HUGE misinterpretation of signals. Like cops shooting people for "having an aggressive stance."
I take it what you're trying to say here is "We really don't know what's going on," which I totally agree with. A misinterpretation is totally possible, especially in such a cramped, chaotic, and already volatile situation. The cops are already on edge because they don't know if they can trust the people around them to not try and completely steamroll them at any given moment. From that second angle, it does seem like the cop was trying to get the guy's attention, the guy turned around and swatted at him (most likely having no clue it was a cop behind him), and the cop responded to what he thought was the beginning of violent behavior.

One side cannot claim high ground over the other. The cops are on edge and they can and do overreact in high-tension situations like this, but the protesters are just as guilty for causing the high-tension situations, and resisting and antagonizing the police.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
If she hit the cop first the cop is in the right to retaliate. Hell maybe he punched the protestor because he didn't know if they would continue the assault or not. I would imagine its a lot like lifegaurding where they teach you that your safety is the most important thing and you take whatever measure you can to protect yourself and then the safety of the victim.

TL;DR: If you punch a cop the cop is in the right to defend himself. If your just standing there and you get peppersprayed or beat down (like in some of these videos) than you are a victim.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Good to see all of those other protesters jumping in to help their comrade in arms by blinding the police officers with camera flashes and twatter posts. What an age we live in. The next step in Occupy Wall Street is going to be getting all the protesters to poop in their hands and throw it on the windows of every building there, slowly making them lose all of their wealth due to the cost of window cleaners. POWER TO THE PEOPLE! As soon as someone TP's a bank, you know it will happen.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Thank God. I haven't seen an "Evil Cop" story for so long that I thought the cops had gone and become demigods of perfection.

Although, all things considered, this is a pretty lame "Evil Cop" story. A cop punched someone and they fell down. Yay?
A cop punched someone who already punched them. EVVIIIILLLLLL!!!!

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Why does it matter that it was a female protestor (apparently, it was not)? If it had been a male protestor (apparently it was), and the cop had decked him, people would just smile and nod while dismissing such as "the guy clearly did something to provoke the cop". Can women do no wrong or harm a man, now?

From the footage so far, the cop was within rights to retaliate. He was not the aggressor, but the responder.

Oct 30, 2010
TheBelgianGuy said:
I thought protesting was a basic human right we went to war for in Libya to protect? I guess it matters less if it's your own corrupt regime being protested.
Admittedly I haven't been paying attention to the news this weekend, but I missed the part where they started shooting live ammo into the crowd.

And surely whomever shot the video is risking torture and death by releasing it.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
weker said:
Also can't help but think this is more about the criminal being a woman.
Yep. Sexism goes both ways.

The fact that there is emphasis on the gender is rather critical to how you examine the incident.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Kalezian said:
Radeonx said:
Here comes the tons of "I've lost my faith in humanity" and "All cops are corrupt bastards!" comments.

Eh, it was one douchebag who overreacted in an isolated incident.

One isolated incident?

Please keep up with the news, it will save you replies.
I'm fully aware of what's going on, but it doesn't have any bearing on any other cops OUTSIDE of that department.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
4173 said:
TheBelgianGuy said:
Admittedly I haven't been paying attention to the news this weekend, but I missed the part where they started shooting live ammo into the crowd.
This.

The number of people I've seen who think we live in a 'corrupt' society with the same kind of 'regime' as in Liya...

At Debating Society (at my school) someone tried to use the argument (in 'This house believes the war in Afghan is entirely justified') that the condemnation of the riots in London by the PM/Govt. was hypocrisy since we support the Libyan rebels...

One opposition speaker countered it very nicely - 'The people of Libya are rising up for freedom and liberty, the people of England are rising up for a new TV.'

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
Another fine example of the NYPD using brute force against protestors.

Now in this instance, I understand that the guy pushed (that's what it looks like from the video) the cop first, but the police officer's response was completely unwarranted.

This is the US, not Germany (where I've seen the police beat the living shit out of people for much less)

This reminds me of that earlier story where those women were penned in and sitting down protesting and that guy who's name is Tony Baloney (Anthony Balonia I think? or something like that) walked up and pepper sprayed them for nothing.

This is becoming more and more disturbing....

I'm going out to the Occupy protest