Who did you root for when watching Death Note?

Draken Steel

May 15, 2009
I liked light a lot better, until the show decided to villainize him...because obviously you cant kill the bad guys and not go ape shit insane.

L i thought was very interesting as a char, but his morals baffle me...he acts very lawful, but then does the big bit with the girl, which kinda throws that out the window.

And like most have said b4 me....most of the stuff after L with Near just sucked.

English Stew

Apr 23, 2011
I always hated Light (in that he was an effective villain), both because of his morality (which, as a social liberitarian I find repulsive), and because of his willingness to use human beings as tools to achieve an end. A TV show has never made me feel more defeated or elated than when L died and Near won, respectivly.

Also, I actually liked Near. Not as much as L, of course, but found the child with the mind of an adult concept quite interesting.

Also, he plays with Lego. I LOVE LEGO!

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I liked Light but L was much more fun as far as characters go. I wanted him to capture Light and win, not:
die! I couldn't believe they killed him off and replaced him with Near! I kind of liked Near but he, sir, is no L

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
Light. L was really cool and I liked his character but I was still rooting for light. Near was such a pain and that made me like light even more.

Rolf

Jul 13, 2009
Light
Mainly because i felt he was right. Unthil he got a little insane of course.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
I was rooting for L before Near came into the picture. Afterwards, Light. I think everyone did in the end. I still think that,

<spoiler=When>Both L and Lights father had died he could've gotten away with outright killing the entire AKF, and just hiding on his own.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Light for his views and his actions, but L for his mannerisms and overall weirdness.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Radeonx said:
I didn't really care, up until Near came in.
I hated his character so much, I had no choice but to root for Light.
Yeah, Near was a little dipshit. Really wrecked the series. It went from being a very atypical anime to a typical bizarre Japanime with children playing the roles of adults.

That said, I was rooting for Kira throughout.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
Light/Kira.

He was in the right.

Though I liked L. Near can burn in Hell. If anyone told me that they were out off by the series because of Near, I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Mello was the shit. I rooted for him to, though not above Light.

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
I didn't outright root for either character, because if L won, then the series would end, but if Light won, then he'd kill a whole lot of people, which I didn't agree with. I liked watching them both because they're both entertaining with their mind speed chess they seemed to be constantly playing. :D

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
The show ended for me in episode 26 I think. Anything after that was a side story in an alternate universe for me. Also really disliked the movies.

Does no one else think L was a dick? I was really rooting for Yagami Light all the way. There's a doujin floating around the interwebs where...

after Light dies

... he goes to the Shinigami realm and attempts to go after the God (Ryuk calls him the old man) of that world to replace him. That would have been an amazing ending too... but yeah episode 26. Don't go further than that if you're a Light fan, hell, don't go further than that if you're an L fan either.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
I rooted for Light up until he

starts killing the FBI agents, and particularly Raye Penbar's wife... That was just too cold no matter how you look at it.

As I empathised with him up until that point I still remained very interested in him although L had definitely started to grow on me.

I think it got to the point where L and Light needed eachother to give validity to eachothers existence so I couldn't really bring myself to root for one or the other. I think I just wanted them to be friends...

DE619

May 17, 2010
I rooted for Light until Mello showed up. That guy was pure awesome in human form.

Burck

Aug 9, 2009
Yagami Light / Kira because...

I kinda knew Yagami Light was gonna lose in the end just after the first episode (it felt ominous/ how the hell would you work out an ending where he did win.)So, I rooted for Light/Kira cause I figured, hey, lets see how far this guy can make it.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
English Stew said:
I always hated Light (in that he was an effective villain), both because of his morality (which, as a social liberitarian I find repulsive), and because of his willingness to use human beings as tools to achieve an end. A TV show has never made me feel more defeated or elated than when L died and Near won, respectivly.

Also, I actually liked Near. Not as much as L, of course, but found the child with the mind of an adult concept quite interesting.

Also, he plays with Lego. I LOVE LEGO!
+1 to almost everyting:
Light = egomaniacal manipulator bastard
L >> Near
Lego = awesome
Although I was deeply upset by the conclusion of the Light v L fight, even at the time I was also thrilled that they had the courage to let such an underhanded villain succeed so fully.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
OniaPL said:
-snip-
Does anyone know another manga that's awesome and follows the "Battle of the minds"- theme?
Code Geass has the same theme of superpowered-genius-tries-to-ideallistically-remake-the-world-but-becomes-totally-messed-up, however in CG the superman occasionally does his own dirty work and risks his own skin.
Surprisingly, though it's a much more kid oriented show it's also much more morally gray.

...not a battle of minds like Death Note though.

Xcelsior

Jun 3, 2009
I rooted for Light, but Ryuku was my favourite character.
As much as I loved Death Note, I felt that after L's death the story just hit repeat, only N was chasing down Light