Who have you rejected, why, and do you regret it?

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Bat Vader said:
Don't really know why I felt the need to make this thread. Anyway, I will start.

Back when I was going to a community college back in 2010 a classmate of mine would always come up and talk to me about 15 minutes each day which lasted for about two weeks. About a week later she admitted to me that she liked me and I rejected her because I didn't really know her, didn't care to know her, and didn't care about dating(still don't).

Something weird that happened was before I rejected her she asked me if I had ever been on a date before. Kind of an odd question to ask if you ask me. Do I regret rejecting her? No. The day after I rejected her I seen her with another guy and she was acting very affectionate towards him.

I have rejected other people too. Mainly people who wanted to be friends and I didn't care about getting to know any of them. Extreme Social Anxiety and Misanthropy mix pretty well together.

I'm curious if my fellow Escapist users have rejected other and if they regretted it afterwards.
This is an issue that hits very close to the heart for me. I was...an asshole when I was younger. I treated good friends as disposable assets when I had no shortage of them. I also made the mistake of trying to 'date up' and abandoned a wonderful, caring and absolutely exceptional young lady to date my dream girl.

Now, in my 30s, I find myself lonely and embittered. While I do have friends, I regret the way I used to be immsenely and often wish I could go back with what I know now and explain it to my younger self - possibly with some sort of heavy instrument.

But I guess that's the way life is. The 'you' you are now is a product of the stupid cock-ups you made when you were 'you' then.

Long story short - value your friends. Take opportunities. Give people a chance.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I've only rejected one person that was interested in a proper relationship- Simply, he was a he, and I'm not gay. It was pretty damn awkward and I felt really bad for him, although I don't understand how it all happened. I'd never shown any kind of attraction to guys and for part of the time I'd known him I was in a relationship with a girl. I really wish he didn't start avoiding me afterwards, but I guess I can understand why.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Starbird said:
Bat Vader said:
Don't really know why I felt the need to make this thread. Anyway, I will start.

Back when I was going to a community college back in 2010 a classmate of mine would always come up and talk to me about 15 minutes each day which lasted for about two weeks. About a week later she admitted to me that she liked me and I rejected her because I didn't really know her, didn't care to know her, and didn't care about dating(still don't).

Something weird that happened was before I rejected her she asked me if I had ever been on a date before. Kind of an odd question to ask if you ask me. Do I regret rejecting her? No. The day after I rejected her I seen her with another guy and she was acting very affectionate towards him.

I have rejected other people too. Mainly people who wanted to be friends and I didn't care about getting to know any of them. Extreme Social Anxiety and Misanthropy mix pretty well together.

I'm curious if my fellow Escapist users have rejected other and if they regretted it afterwards.
This is an issue that hits very close to the heart for me. I was...an asshole when I was younger. I treated good friends as disposable assets when I had no shortage of them. I also made the mistake of trying to 'date up' and abandoned a wonderful, caring and absolutely exceptional young lady to date my dream girl.

Now, in my 30s, I find myself lonely and embittered. While I do have friends, I regret the way I used to be immsenely and often wish I could go back with what I know now and explain it to my younger self - possibly with some sort of heavy instrument.

But I guess that's the way life is. The 'you' you are now is a product of the stupid cock-ups you made when you were 'you' then.

Long story short - value your friends. Take opportunities. Give people a chance.
I'm sorry to hear that. Whatever happened to the woman that you abandoned?

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
I'm sorry to hear that. Whatever happened to the woman that you abandoned?
Don't know. She was a fantastic individual and is almost certainly doing well for herself. Was such a stupid move, dated for over a year at Uni and she was just brilliant. Smart as a whip, tons of fun and not terrible looking. Unfortunately being young and stupid I dumped her because my high school crush suddenly seemed interested - ending up living with her for a week later and then it all went pear shaped. So yeah, old Japanese proverb - a man who chases two rabbits catches neither.