Who here can speak Japanese?

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
Edit: the poll didn't show up when I posted and I don't know how to "re-do" it, so the question was "How would you class your comprehension of the Japanese language?"

[Note: If you have come here to hurl abuse, please read the disclaimer at the bottom of the post]

So I just started studying Japanese a couple of months ago and I'm really getting into it (I self-teach using a great online textbook called TextFugu [this is NOT intended as advertising; it's just in case anyone is curious]).

Was wondering if any Escapists have taken any of the JLPTs (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - which level did you take; how long had you been studying the language prior to taking it? I guess it'll be a while before I get to that level of understanding, but I'm just curious for what I might be able to do in the future. :)

Also, have you ever visited/lived in Japan? How were you "accepted" (I've heard stories of the Japanese not taking too kindly to foreigners [?Oli?ª?¢?¶?ñj])? <--- it would appear there is no support for Asian characters on these forums :S

How did you study? Were you self-taught, did you get private lessons, lessons at school, etc.?

How do people react when you say you know/are studying Japanese? Are they like "Sweet! :D" or are they more like "You've been watching too much anime, methinks" or "Wtf is the point in that!?"?

As for me, I'm a beginner, but I can read/write Hiragana/Katakana and (so far) I know 33 different Kanji and the more important on' and kun'yomi for each (1-, 2- and 3-strokers, about to move onto 4-strokes). I've learned a few particles, grammar rules, and a few (about 100 or so) common nouns/verbs (some using the Kanji I have learned, some just in Hiragana (until I learn their Kanji).

Any questions about my own, personal studies are more than welcome.

I'm just curious about the Escapist's Japanese-speaking community, is all. :)

[DISCLAIMER: Before anyone screams "weaboo!!!1" or "wapanese" or anything like that, I am NOT obsessed by Japan and all things Japanese. I am NOT that big on anime (I used to watch DBZ, but no other anime or manga to date), I DON'T think Pokki/bento boxes/chopsticks/Hello Kitty/etc. are the best inventions ever, and I NEVER EVER say "kawaii desuuuuuu!!" while making the peace sign. I have just developed an interest recently of Japanese language (mostly just the language) and some of their culture.]

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I don't myself as I never manage to organise my time right to learn a second langauge. One thought about your thread, why is there not a poll here when the title of your thread starts with the word "poll"?

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
Vault Citizen said:
I don't myself as I never manage to organise my time right to learn a second langauge. One thought about your thread, why is there not a poll here when the title of your thread starts with the word "poll"?
Tbh I have no idea where the poll went D: I had a nice one all lined up as well :( Filled in all the boxes and everything...

Rathcoole

Jan 1, 2011
I thought about learning it once. Never got round to it. Plus the time investment required is enough to make me think otherwise.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Skullkid4187 said:
Actually they don't really mind foreigners.
That's pretty broad, but since you've elaborated on your long wide-traveled trip to Japan, I'll take your word for it.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
I have private lessons once a week for Japanese.
I spent 2 weeks in Tokyo last Summer, and I'm going to Kyoto for 2 weeks this Summer.

I would like to think I'm getting pretty good at it, my teacher claims I am picking up the language fast. Not to sound rude or anything, but I'm not sure how long you will be able to keep up your self tutoring. I attempted to self tutor myself before I hired a teacher and I had to re-learn quite a few things because I was wrong. If you learn a lot through self tutor and then find out that what you have taught yourself is wrong, then it can become really challenging to un-learn what you know.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
I can. Taken the highest level tests for natives, passed with no trouble. I've grown up in Japan for most of my life, so that means I'm more or less a native speaker (with a slightly larger vocabulary than some actual native speakers). I'm actually a translator: Japanese -> English.

The typical reaction to hearing I live in Japan/know Japanese is either "awesome, I'm going to bombard you with mangled Japanese phrases for the next half hour" or "You even live in Japan? Too much anime, you shouldn't let it influence your life like that." Never mind I don't watch anime and only live in Japan since my parents do. Both responses are equally annoying.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
Lethos said:
I spent 2 weeks in Tokyo last Summer, and I'm going to Kyoto for 2 weeks this Summer.

I would like to think I'm getting pretty good at it, my teacher claims I am picking up the language fast. Not to sound rude or anything, but I'm not sure how long you will be able to keep up your self tutoring. I attempted to self tutor myself before I hired a teacher and I had to re-learn quite a few things because I was wrong. If you learn a lot through self tutor and then find out that what you have taught yourself is wrong, then it can become really challenging to un-learn what you know.
No, no, no, it's a fair observation. I understand that about 99% of people self-teaching give up, but my goal is to be one of the 1% who don't :D haha What do you mean you were wrong? How were you teaching yourself? Were you using a textbook? Also, it might just be that your tutor has a different method to the way you were doing it before - it's not to say that you were WRONG (depending on what you mean by wrong).
With the textbook I'm using, the author is very hands-on - always updating/adding content and he replies to emails pretty quickly. If the users have any questions relating to pretty much anything Japanese (language, culture, study habits, etc.), he is right there giving detailed advice and is a very personable chap I must say :p

Cogwheel said:
"awesome, I'm going to bombard you with mangled Japanese phrases for the next half hour"
I know it must be annoying for YOU, but I find that hilarious :D Pronouncing desu as "dess-oo" and just saying it randomly can be pretty irritating :p

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
MisterM2402 said:
Lethos said:

No, no, no, it's a fair observation. I understand that about 99% of people self-teaching give up, but my goal is to be one of the 1% who don't :D haha What do you mean you were wrong? How were you teaching yourself? Were you using a textbook? Also, it might just be that your tutor has a different method to the way you were doing it before - it's not to say that you were WRONG (depending on what you mean by wrong).
With the textbook I'm using, the author is very hands-on - always updating/adding content and he replies to emails pretty quickly. If the users have any questions relating to pretty much anything Japanese (language, culture, study habits, etc.), he is right there giving detailed advice and is a very personable chap I must say :p
To be fair to you that sounds a lot more engaging then the self tutoring I tried. What I meant when I said I was wrong was that my teacher basically told me I was constructing sentences completely incorrectly and that I hadn't learnt enough of the foundations of the language to truly understand it.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
Skullkid4187 said:
Haha, nooooo.

I went there to visit my pops (he works there) over winter break a couple of years ago.

Some were very nice, but quite a few were rude jackasses. They also say some surprising stuff when they don't think you understand what they're saying.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Cheery Lunatic said:
Skullkid4187 said:
Haha, nooooo.

I went there to visit my pops (he works there) over winter break a couple of years ago.

Some were very nice, but quite a few were rude jackasses. They also say some surprising stuff when they don't think you understand what they're saying.
depends on were you visit

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
I'd like to learn it, but I've heard it's very hard. I'd like to learn a Western European language first.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
I just recently... acquired... some rather spiffing software to learn Japanese with. I've used it for about 3 hours now and I've got to say I'm really impressed with myself...

In 3 hours I've gone from knowing a handful of words to understanding the grammatical nuances of phrases such as "Onna no hitotachi wa shiiro gohan o motte imasen". (Group of ladies don't have some white rice). Also able to read, write and pronounce the hirigana for this. Able to swap out the verbs, nouns and adjectives where appropriate... Looking forward to learning more over the next few months or so.

I aim to live and work/study in Japan in the near future and would like to have a decent basic understanding of the language first. Obviously the real learning will take place once i'm there...

Krafty_Krocodile

Jul 6, 2010
konichuwa nintendo fijitsu ninjitsu, toshiba~ in all seriousness, no i dont know it, yes i would like to learn it so that if a "weeaboo" does come then i can confuse the shit out of them...

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
I learned Japanese for three years. As such, I'm far from fluent and fully literate, but I have a basic understanding of the language. However, I plan on becoming fluent over time, when I get the opportunity to.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
Raven said:
I just recently... acquired... some rather spiffing software to learn Japanese with. I've used it for about 3 hours now and I've got to say I'm really impressed with myself...
By "acquired" I assume you mean "purchased at full price from a reputable retailer", correct?
What software is it, may I ask? Is it the game for DS (can't remember the name)? I may look into it... :)

Krythe

Oct 29, 2009
(Reads the disclaimer and chooses to disregard it as a load of bullshit)

Only weaboos or people within a pretty narrow niche of bussiness have any reason to learn japanese.

The Krythe Cure For White Guilt: The hell are you trying to do by fapping over samurai? You had the fucking vikings, who are indisputably the most awesome faction to ever exist on the face of the planet.

The reason why most people ignore this cure: The scandanavians don't produce millions of shitty comic books about how awesome they are, for manga is the ONLY source of information for weaboos.

Random signing out fact: A katana's edge was hardened to the point where it was brittle enough to shatter when it came into contact with metal, therefore you had to akwardly switch to blocking with the back to avoid breaking your own sword. 9/10 weaboos will not know this.

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
Personally I dont understand the language, nor can read it. However my mate loves it and is currently studying it in University in the hope of becoming an interpreter or whatever and moving to Japan >.>