Who here can speak Japanese?

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
I know a little.

It's a language that I have been interested in learning for quite a few years, but my lazyness keeps me from really trying. =x

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Watashi na wabi kira (des)!

Really, that's all I can say.

...okay, I'll go now.

[small]I did plan on taking Japanese once I go to highschool, though. We'll see what comes of that.[/small]

ZhouYu671

Nov 18, 2008
I spent 2 years of University and a year abroad studying at a Japanese Uni, now I'm living and working in here. My speaking level is pretty good, but my Kanji is nowhere near as good as it should be XD

To the OP: Good luck with your studies! It can get pretty tough sometimes, but don't give up!

Ashendarei

Feb 10, 2009
I've taken a quarter of college japanese (crash course more then anything else).

I can pick words and simple phrases out, but anything more complex then that still eludes me.

I'll probably go back and give the language another go sometime in the future, but for now I'm focusing down on my other studies :D

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
I've been studying it since October 2010. I can recall some basic phrases but I'm really not that good at it at the moment. I embarrassed myself the other day when I realised I'd been staring at the Japanese characters next to the Superdry sign for 5 minutes, trying to remember what they said =/

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
I took three years in high school. I'm suppose to be in my fourth year at the moment, but the teacher quit, and they didn't hire another one, so I got screwed over.

As to have being there, that is currently negative. I do plan on visiting there at least once, I've wanted to go for almost 5 years now. Just can't get the money.

Hiikuro

We are SYD!
Apr 3, 2010
I got interested in learning Japanese before I got interested in Japanese culture and the anime/manga subculture. I started learning Japanese about half a year before a friend of mine recommended me to watch anime.

I am really interested in languages and how they are used, and Japanese is very unique among languages, which is why I got attached to it.

I know about 700 kanji in addition to hiragana and katakana. I can hold rudimentary conversations with people and generally get the gist of most of what I read.

Most of what I've learned of grammar and words have come from actually listening to the language, and is a good reason why I can say that anime has been extremely helpful as an aid to learn it.

endless_revan

Jan 26, 2010
I can read and write at an upper intermediate level. I plan on taking the JLPT later this year and have spent years studying. Also lived a year in Osaka so Im not that bad in the language.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
Sturmdolch said:
Thank god. I have a friend learning it because JAPAN IS MEGA KAKKOII!

Have fun, and good luck to you!
Firstly, not meaning any offense, but the term "learning" can't be used anymore than "loosely" :p I would reccommend that he/she starts PROPERLY studying it, even just to impress his other friends - they'll think he is seeeewww kawaiiiii! ;) Secondly, thank you very much :)
ZhouYu671 said:
I spent 2 years of University and a year abroad studying at a Japanese Uni, now I'm living and working in here.

To the OP: Good luck with your studies! It can get pretty tough sometimes, but don't give up!
Sounds great :) Next year when I go to Uni (to do computer science), I'll get the chance to take it as an "extra" course alongside everything else - I'm sure it will help a lot (and be really easy too haha ;) ).
Also, I know that abou 99% of learners give up eventually, but I'm having too much fun to be in that majority :p

Melon Hunter said:
I've been studying it since October 2010.

...I realised I'd been staring at the Japanese characters next to the Superdry sign for 5 minutes, trying to remember what they said =/
Oh snap! October for me too XD What are you using to learn? :)
But see, when you DO notice Japanese (like with the Superdry sign) out and about, and find you CAN understand it, it's a marvelous feeling :D Don't worry, you'll get there eventually, and when you do, you'll think to yourself "Aha! It's all so simple now! :D".

Hiikuro said:
I am really interested in languages and how they are used, and Japanese is very unique among languages, which is why I got attached to it.
I wouldn't quite say "unique" (look up the Altaic family of languages :p), but I know what you mean haha When you compare it to plain old English-like, European languages, it does have a mystique to it, a certain charm...

endless_revan said:
I can read and write at an upper intermediate level. I plan on taking the JLPT later this year and have spent years studying. Also lived a year in Osaka so Im not that bad in the language.
What level are you taking? My understanding is that there are 5 levels, but I could be wrong. Did you self-study or have a tutor/lecturer? How long for? Sorry, but I can't help asking all these questions haha :)

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
MisterM2402 said:
Melon Hunter said:
I've been studying it since October 2010.

...I realised I'd been staring at the Japanese characters next to the Superdry sign for 5 minutes, trying to remember what they said =/
Oh snap! October for me too XD What are you using to learn? :)
But see, when you DO notice Japanese (like with the Superdry sign) out and about, and find you CAN understand it, it's a marvelous feeling :D Don't worry, you'll get there eventually, and when you do, you'll think to yourself "Aha! It's all so simple now! :D".
My University's Engineering Department has a dedicated language unit and they actively encourage us to study a language from the beginning of our course. I looked at the list of languages on offer and just decided that Japanese would be a nice way to expand my knowledge (I'd studied German and Spanish a few years ago and I decided I wanted to cast my linguistic skills a bit further afield =D).

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
I've been studying it on uni for a few months now, so I have some very basic knowledge.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
I studied it for two years, and I don't remember very much of it. What I know now probably comes from all the anime I watch.

Zeeky_Santos said:
I can one up on that. I speak a little bit of Mandarin. Oh yeah, the superior language.
I can one-up on that too. I speak a lot of it. Well, if I try. This would seem more impressive if my background wasn't actually Chinese, damn it.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i picked up a few words and phrases from watching anime but that's it.

what's kawaii desuuuuuu?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
MisterM2402 said:
[?Oli?ª?¢?¶?ñj])? <--- it would appear there is no support for Asian characters on these forums :S
&#26412;&#24403;&#12391;&#12377;&#12363;&#65311; <--- hontou desu ka?

EDIT: Well, that showed up, right?

Err, well, anyway... I'm not very good at Japanese yet. I'm learning, slowly, through online resources and a few friends. Focusing mostly on learning the kana right now, but I don't often find myself in the mood to sit down and practice.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
Zeeky_Santos said:
I can one up on that. I speak a little bit of Mandarin. Oh yeah, the superior language.
Oh yeah?! Well when I become master of all languages, YOU'LL be sorry! You'll see! You'll ALL see...
;)

PureChaos said:
what's kawaii desuuuuuu?
I think it just means "it is cute" - used by people who think EVERYTHING is cute, even when it's not haha.
JediMB said:
MisterM2402 said:
[?Oli?ª?¢?¶?ñj])? <--- it would appear there is no support for Asian characters on these forums :S
&#26412;&#24403;&#12391;&#12377;&#12363;&#65311; <--- hontou desu ka?

EDIT: Well, that showed up, right?
Let me try again... (fingers crossed)
&#22806;&#20154;&#12288;&#65293;&#12288;&#12364;&#12356;&#12376;&#12435;
That's what I wanted to say in the first place

Edit: Well I'll be... that's the darndest thing! :p I swear it didn't work the first time...

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Krythe said:
(Reads the disclaimer and chooses to disregard it as a load of bullshit)

Only weaboos or people within a pretty narrow niche of bussiness have any reason to learn japanese.

The Krythe Cure For White Guilt: The hell are you trying to do by fapping over samurai? You had the fucking vikings, who are indisputably the most awesome faction to ever exist on the face of the planet.

The reason why most people ignore this cure: The scandanavians don't produce millions of shitty comic books about how awesome they are, for manga is the ONLY source of information for weaboos.

Random signing out fact: A katana's edge was hardened to the point where it was brittle enough to shatter when it came into contact with metal, therefore you had to akwardly switch to blocking with the back to avoid breaking your own sword. 9/10 weaboos will not know this.
...huh?

I mean, the hell are you on about? Ignoring the fact that you seem to have a distaste for learning, you also seem to have responded to a completely different post. Your bolded "points" have no relevance. No one said anything about samurai, or vikings, or white guilt... gaahh! You are stupid, and it makes my face hurt!