Who here LIKED Brink?

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
While I have not played it yet, I might as well have.

Every once in a while, a game comes around where I can immedatly tell that I would love it.

I watched many videos, alreacdy know the maps and weapons, and can tell I will love this game.

I am aware of it's flaws, but to me, these are minor.

Who else here loves this game?

I hear that many of it's issues will be patched, so hopefully it gets done soon so the playerbase doesn't fall out, a lack of players will kill this promising franchise to be.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know, I want to find out but I need to wait until Friday to find out.

DSD12

Feb 12, 2011
I played it at one of my friends house, I thought it was pretty good but i can tell that since its team focused it may turn off some people.

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
It's not really that good. Weapons feel just completely the same(I get confused on what weapon I've used most because they look the same and do the same damage mostly) you're not really going to notice all that customization in multiplayer only really in cutscenes. Level cap is 20, you can unlock all the needed weapons and upgrades pretty easily just do the challenges. All in all, the game could've been really good but for now it's pretty terrible.

sethzard said:
I don't know, I want to find out but I need to wait until Friday to find out.
Wait for a sale friend.

Edit:Forgot to mention the maps and "SMART" move. The Parkour aspects was a huge selling gimick, it's just your usual jump on top of large objects about the same as Deus Ex. The maps, 8 of them. Boring. They're all a similar blur now. Classes, what classes? Same weapons, silly little abilities. Only fun class is maybe engineer if you get a turret in a good spot and it actually does anything.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I'm enjoying it, but the lack of content is really bad in my opinion. I'd wait for a sale, or some updates, as it's pretty buggy (PC version). Sound cuts out alot, cutscenes are kinda jerky and the bot AI is well.. lacking.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Just picked it up this morning. I never got into the whole CoD craze. My last shooter was Halo: Reach and a little TF2 before that and those are pretty much the only shooters I've played online. I've played plenty of Left 4 Dead and Gears of War, but only locally with friends. Basically, I expect I'm really going to like it and I'm sure balance concerns will be fixed and new campaigns, modes, and maps added. As long as the community of players that do like it is big enough and loyal enough to support it, I expect I'll have a lot of fun. Maybe I'll update when I have a little time to play, so I can speak from experience and not just optimism.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
Brink is disappointing in several aspects. Chief among them is the campaign mode. Don't let anyone fool you. There is no story mode. The entire campaign consists of bot driven multiplayer matches. This is Unreal Tourney 3 crossed with Mirror's Edge. There's just no content here.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
I love it. As mentioned above, it's very team-oriented, which is quite possibly the biggest reason i like it. ...Especially considering i was playing with my old WoW guild leader, so it brought back some good memories.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Interestingly, I just watched a video, and the creative director said that US reviewers didn't get the patch on time, so they reviewed a unfinished version of the game.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I've enjoyed it, but friendly A.I. often leaves a lot to be desired and the majority
of online matches are crippled by lag. Also, any gimmicks such as the SMART system the game had going for it to differentiate itself from other shooters don't really feel like they truly add anything to the game; like they just added the feature to say "Hey, look what we've got that these other dudes don't!"

I'll definitely continue playing though, if only in anticipation of a patch, etc. that completely fixes the game once and for all.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
It's fun, and that's what counts for me.
I'm not going to lie, it needs those maps that are coming in June if it's going to keep me playing it. The game has a few problems, and people have been quick to point them out. I'll tell you right now: Problems ARE there and you WILL notice them. Thing is, I still find it to be tons of fun.

The game's movement and general gameplay are different from most games I've played recently, and take some getting used to. Once I got the hang of them, it quickly became one of my favorite online shooters. The medium body type is nothing all that special, and being a Heavy is exactly what you'd expect, but playing as a Light is where the SMART system really becomes an integral part of the gameplay.

Speaking of gameplay, here are some gripes that irk me the most:
-The Assault Rifles have way too little ammo, never use them unless you're a soldier or you'll run out. I'd recommend an SMG instead, they carry 3+ reload clips, are generally more accurate and have only a little less power.
-Grenades are mostly useless. Good riddance, but still worth noting.
-I could never figure out how to work that shotgun properly. It manages to insta-kill me when the bots use it, but the effective range is sketchy at best.
-Sniping is pretty much useless. The "Light Rifles" are your "Snipers", but they fire slowly, it's damn near impossible to headshot someone in a game with so much movement, and it'll never insta-kill unless you're buffed for damage, score a headshot, and are using the bolt-action. The combination of few long-range areas in the map, low ammo counts, not-quite-enough damage, and slow (even for snipers) fire rate really kill the sniping. Not like you'll miss it, but still.
-Nothing in the game is more frustrating than being seconds away from winning, and having them complete an objective and add another 3-8 minutes to the game. Vice versa, it's aneurism-inducing to be .001 seconds away from completing the game-winning objective at 3 seconds-to-failure and getting shot in the back before you finish, knowing you'll never get back and finish the objective in time. This isn't really a problem with the game itself, but rather a problem with objective-based gameplay in general.
-For some reason, you can't join people who have a rank lower than yours, though anyone can join you if your rank is high. I don't understand why the game works this way, but it does. There's no getting around it.
-Finding random human players to play with is really hard. There's no server browser, so you basically pick your game mode, options, etc. and hope someone else did the same thing earlier and created a game, and is still playing so you can join. If no one created a game meeting your specifications, you create a game and play with bots until others join. Problem is, you can't see the other team, so you don't know if it's players or bots; You also will have lots of trouble finding games with more than 2 or 3 humans in a game. I'm playing on Xbox, and I know they tried to limit the players per game to 4 v 4, but I still have trouble finding human players.

As I said before, these are things that I'm willing to put up with because I really enjoy this game.

Argonian alchemist

Master-level alchemist
May 5, 2011
Revenge Revisited said:
Not me. :T I was promised awesome parkour and character customization but both were lacking.
Took the words right out of my mouth... or fingers should I say...

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
I'm not much of a multiplayer guy, so I was really pissed when I saw that they screwed over the Campaign mode.
It felt like Unreal Tournament 3 all over again!

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Me! I don't think it's amazing, but it is solid and fun. I wish they had proper single-player though. A Mirror's Edge-like campaign would be kickass.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
Huge Brink fan here; the team based gameplay is the best part and the parkour and customization are fun too, but still need some improvement (believe me, they're working on it). Overall it's a great shooter for the people who are tired of CoD and his twin brothers.

p.s. the 1st DLC will be free, hooray for Splash Damage!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Not me.

Played it. Did each map twice. Played online for a bit. Then uninstalled it. Currently trying to get a refund.

What a lump of crap.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
The parkour overall works, even though the levels are a little too short to fully take advantage of it. The customisation is a joke to me. I don't get why people get such stiffies any more for being able to choose from one of so many combinations when you can't even see the character.

The story is kinda bland. No real care put into it and most of the exposition for it is done during loading screens which you'll most likely skip and the 20 second start up cinematic which again you will likely skip.

The AI is stupid on your side and on the enemy's side it suddenly becomes aware of every single movement you make and pinpoints you the minute you shoot, but the patches fixed that somewhat, now there's a .04 second delay, woopie. Also for some reason it feels like the enemies wait a fraction of a second before falling after being shot. Don't know if this is universal but my friends and I noticed it today.

Single player sucks. Get friends to play with you any way you can. It works as a multiplayer game and can be fun even if some of the bottleneck parts of the levels are very hard to pass. With at least 2 other people on your side it'll be fun.

I think overall it's a decent game, but it shouldn't have been 50-60 bucks. A game that can only stand on its multiplayer aspect should really be less, but at least they're giving away the first set of DLC for free to make up for the unfinished feel of the initial release. First day patches don't bode well for proving you really put an effort into the game.