Who here misses The Escapist's Magazine format and old content?

Wareve

Aug 17, 2008
There was a time when I came to The Escapist every day, not only for it's news, but because it always had some new piece of content. As I recall, Tuesday was The Big Picture with Movie Bob, Wednesday was (and continues to be) Zero Punctuation, Thursday was Extra Credits, and Friday... Friday was Top 5? Right?

I long for those shows, some have moved, either to other sites or the abyss, but all were consistently an entertaining way spend a few minutes thinking or learning about something interesting. This is in addition to the numerous other shows and comics that frequently filled out all those grey boxes on the schedule. (Yes, there was a time when that whole calendar down there was FULL!)

I also remember back when the Escapist had writers who would create entertaining articles and thought pieces about games and game culture. They'd keep me coming back week after week for interesting, fun, informative content. And even after they changed formats to be more news focused, they at least kept their news column populated with up to date news. Now the Escapist seems to focus on neither, and the news feed seems nearly vestigial.

It raises the question, who here misses what The Escapist once was? Who here would be so glad if they would once again invest in themselves to become what they once were? If Rooster Teeth can still be kicking out videos and going strong with new content 15 years after they first started, why can't The Escapist?

Some day, Yahtzee is going to stop. He's going to decide he could do better elsewhere and move on to greener pastures. If he did that today, the Escapist would loose a full third of it's non-twitch content. That'd pretty much spell death for them.

Who wants to see the Escapist come back and actually be a force in games journalism and content? To see interesting and varied shows here once again? Who wants comics? Who wants new things? Who thinks that there are hundreds of shows out there that the Escapist could do and yet doesn't? Remember There Will Be Brawl? Remember Unforgotten Realms? Remember all those meh quality shows that weren't the best but at least were new? What happened to those? Why can't we have those again?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Of course we all want this site to be back in its former glory but that seen very unlikely now. With most of the staff being sacked and their disburse issue with other video providers, it will take a miracle to bring it back.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Not going to happen.

The Escapist fell out with or sacked half of the talent. The rest moved on to greener pastures. They closed their office and sacked the tech staff.

You're looking at a half dead forum and a half-hearted news feed hanging from the firmly entrenched tentpole that is Yahtzee.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Zhukov said:
You're looking at a half dead forum and a half-hearted news feed hanging from the firmly entrenched tentpole that is Yahtzee.
Depending on your standards, "half dead" as a descriptor for these forums might be generous. Musing continuously about what this place might have used to be just isn't worth it anymore. It isn't coming back, ever. I'm actually fairly surprised it hasn't been sacked entirely already. The only real contributor to the site's content would in all likelihood be picked up somewhere else rather quickly were that to occur.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Didn't make enough money, so it stopped. Wouldn't work anyway, because it's moving backward against the times. The end.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Zhukov said:
Not going to happen.

The Escapist fell out with or sacked half of the talent. The rest moved on to greener pastures. They closed their office and sacked the tech staff.

It really is a shame, but I agree, Yahtzee is probably the main thing keeping this place afloat. I don't know where I would go to if/when this place goes down... Been here for so long, and that's before adding the lurker years before I made an account.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, we've always had people saying that the site isn't what it was.

OTOH, the site isn't what it was, but then all things change and fade away.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I miss when the img_inline code cooperated with the caption code.

And all the other stuff, yes. It was kind of a weird nostalgia trip trawling the web archive for some of the old Escapist pages.

william1657

Scout
Mar 12, 2015
I miss a bunch of the old shows and columns.

- Critical Intel
- Escape to the Movies
- High Definition
- Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular
- MovieBob - Intermission
- The Big Picture
- The WEEKLY Extra Punctuation columns

Not the Jimquisition though. I think it is better now.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Barbas said:
Didn't make enough money, so it stopped. Wouldn't work anyway, because it's moving backward against the times. The end.
Alas the video content is centralised firmly in youtube. Because yay monopoly.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
The White Hunter said:
Alas the video content is centralised firmly in youtube. Because yay monopoly.
I'm not sure what the DE in DEFY stand for, but pretty sure the FY stands for "FUCK Y'ALL!" :)

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I would also like this place to be better

Because then it would be cool and stuff

Make America the Escapist Great Again!

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Personally, I think the slide downhill started after Susan Arendt split. She made the site a fun place to visit, encouraged creativity from the Content Generators and fostered a strong sense of community.

In a weird way, I feel like this site is a reflection of the state of gaming in general. What was once a fun, energetic and innovative community has now become dull and stagnant, existing purely out of its own momentum.

No, it's never going to get back to its former glory unless it receives some huge cash infusion or decides that those things falling into so-called "Geek Culture" are profitable again.

On a final note, I think it's pretty telling that there was not one single article about Comic-Con here...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
yeah, it was nice when there was actual content to watch on the site.

as it is now, meh, I'm really only still here cause of the RP section, and that's only cause I'm in one game and running another.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, the Escapist had kind of a problem making payroll, as is. Financial troubles are what they are, so they had to do something about that. They'll just have to slowly climb back up to get their bearings.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Indeed those were nice times. But yeh, it all fell apart unfortunately, and as others have already said, i seriously doubt it'll ever be back to those glory days.
Not really sure why i keep coming back, i guess mostly nostalgia and such. Habits die hard i guess, haha!

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
While I still come for Zero Punctation, Critical Miss/Erin Dies Alone, and the forums... I really miss the days when there was more new stuff. Unskippable, The Big Picture, The Jimquisition... SIGH. Those were the days...