Who Is Captain Marvel (And Why You Should Care)?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Who Is Captain Marvel (And Why You Should Care)?

If you were wondering just who Marvel's first female film franchise lead is, wonder no more. Welcome to super school.

Read Full Article

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Even though I'm familiar with the characters, pieces like this help me to confirm that I'm not attributing facts incorrectly or mixing up origins since I'm not reading the new content as much. However, I am picking up every issue of the current Ms Marvel, and I loved this fantastic tumblr post from [a href="http://thesentencetrailsoff.tumblr.com/post/101194410597/captain-marvel-has-just-finished-the-credits-have"]thesentencetrailsoff[/a]:
Captain Marvel has just finished. The credits have rolled, the casuals have left the building. The music swells, then fades. Cut to a close up of a wall. A Captain Marvel poster is stuck up on it. Pull back to reveal a young Muslim girl putting that poster on her wall.
It would be perfect.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
There's a rumour going around that she'll show up next summer. Is she perhaps the leader of the new Avengers line up?

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Mike Hoffman said:
Even though I'm familiar with the characters, pieces like this help me to confirm that I'm not attributing facts incorrectly or mixing up origins since I'm not reading the new content as much. However, I am picking up every issue of the current Ms Marvel, and I loved this fantastic tumblr post from [a href="http://thesentencetrailsoff.tumblr.com/post/101194410597/captain-marvel-has-just-finished-the-credits-have"]thesentencetrailsoff[/a]:
Captain Marvel has just finished. The credits have rolled, the casuals have left the building. The music swells, then fades. Cut to a close up of a wall. A Captain Marvel poster is stuck up on it. Pull back to reveal a young Muslim girl putting that poster on her wall.
It would be perfect.
Kamala will probably show up a few months later in the Inhumans movie.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mike Hoffman said:
It would be perfect.
[I/]oh my god yeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssss[/I]

ot: I know who captain marvel is! and you know what? I'm actually kind of interested given I think marvel has a level of competence that DC doesn't seem to have

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Mike Hoffman said:
It would be perfect.
Definitely. And, given that Marvel/Disney is bringing us The Inhumans, we may see Ms. Marvel enter the Marvel Cinematic Universe down the road.

As for Wonder Woman coming out before Captain Marvel, I honestly think the future of all DC movies hinge greatly on Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice doing well at the box office. DC Comics and Warner Bros are on shaky ground as it is after the Man of Steel "kerfuffle" (I love having an excuse to use words like "kerfuffle") and, if anything goes wrong with Batman V Superman, their future plans for a DC Cinematic Universe will be heavily kneecapped if not shut down completely. But its a long ways from now to 2016, so we shall see.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
To be clear, Marvel's first female solo film was Elektra.
DC has had a few already as well: Supergirl and Catwoman.

This isn't a first of any sort unless we're going to subdivide down to the first in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Then you're just reaching.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
DoctorM said:

This isn't a first of any sort unless we're going to subdivide down to the first in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Shhh... We're all trying to forget those movies were ever made.

On that front, maybe someday someone will make a Ghost Rider, Jonah Hex, or Daredevil movie!!! :)

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Mr. Q said:
(I love having an excuse to use words like "kerfuffle")
Hello new friend. I sense a kindred spirit here on the Escapist forums. ;)

MovieBob said:
I'm beginning to agree with some voices in the film critic press that the nigh-orgasmic cheerleading for what is, at the end of the day, another corporate mega-franchise from film buffs of my generation is a bit worrying at times.
You know, who else but a giant corporation could have ever done these films though? Or even if they did make them, would they have been able to fund the initial push with the right people. I'm all for the art of cinema, don't get me wrong. But I don't care how we got these great movies, I'm just happy we got them. Autuer theory is great and all, but if it takes letting the producers have a bigger part in the creative process to get this huge mega story that has actually made me look forward to movies again (after YEARS of let downs I might add from X-men, Superman returns, and Star Wars), then I'm fine letting the megacorp have their big win over the old ways.

Mostly because I remember the times when directors would use the basis of a superhero concept as their jumping off point instead of their reason to make the film. That's how we ended up with the black leather X-men for nearly a decade and that's how we ended up with an awful Daredevil movie and Elektra follow up. And that's how we ended up with a dozen other pieces of crap that I wouldn't want to rewatch even on a dare.

Let's also not forget that Disney has been fueling the imagination of children and adults alike for decades. Giant corporation or not, I just can't... scratch that... I just won't cry foul when they are the ones actually making movies I want to see and the smaller guys are making awful Spider-Man films and making Ryan Reynolds into Green Lantern.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm quite happy about this though I do wish it wasn't such a long wait for it to come out. As much as there has been interest in a Black Widow movie, I think it's probably a good thing that Marvel has decided not to go that route simply because I feel it would have ended up as "Hey, here's a female led Marvel movie!" I don't think there's the sort of story there to really work as a stand alone film beyond something that would just feel like a mash-up of several female led action movies of the past (Salt, Lucy, the Tomb Raider films, Haywire, etc.). Not that it wouldn't/couldn't be a good movie, but it would likely end up being very samey and been there done that. If you're going to do a female led action movie, I'd rather it be done right and done in an interesting way. Make people go "Wow, that's a great movie" instead of "Well, that's pretty much what I expected."

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Well, looks like someone's going to stuck with the name Shazam forever. :p

More on topic it's nice to see that they're willing to give Carol a movie, she has been the Marvel equivalent of Wonder Woman for quite a while now and it'll be interesting to see how they do against each other in the box office. I have no idea who they're going to put her up against but they've managed to make a great movie with a group of nobodies in Guardians, I'm sure they'll do fine here. Although 2018....ouch.

syl3r

Oct 21, 2014
wouldnt it be funny if her originstory was told in one of the tvshows?
i could think of a character from shield who might become her.
dont get me wrong, i wouldnt like it, but it seems possible at this moment

Im talking about sky. she has a mysterious spacedad who seems to be in on every little secret of the shows galactic/alien side. i could see her "activating" some alien genes and become superpowered at some point, but then leaving the show for the big screen.

but i have to say, im not sure how comittet marvel is/would be, to revealing so important facts in the show and just giving a small hint in the movie.

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
syl3r said:
wouldnt it be funny if her originstory was told in one of the tvshows?
i could think of a character from shield who might become her.
dont get me wrong, i wouldnt like it, but it seems possible at this moment

Im talking about sky. she has a mysterious spacedad who seems to be in on every little secret of the shows galactic/alien side. i could see her "activating" some alien genes and become superpowered at some point, but then leaving the show for the big screen.

but i have to say, im not sure how comittet marvel is/would be, to revealing so important facts in the show and just giving a small hint in the movie.
Skye is probably inhuman, at least that's what most people suspect. And as much as I like Agents, please no. The character and her actress are not as bad as some made her to be, but she cannot carry a full movie.

Mike Hoffman said:
It would be perfect.
The idea of Khamala appearing is nice, the books are really good.
Also, a few post down the line on the tumblr page you linked was this,
which I would also fully approve of but is very unlikely:
http://thesentencetrailsoff.tumblr.com/post/101284441372

Marvel has surprised us with their casting more than once, thoug...

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
DoctorM said:

To be fair, Supergirl was so misogynistic that it made me cringe, while Elektra and Catwoman were just outright terrible to the point that I find it hard to believe that anyone was serious about those projects. In that regard, the stage is still open for a proper, well made blockbuster superhero movie with a primary female protagonist. Though what baffles me is that it's not a Black Widow film, which is something people have been clamoring for since Scralet Johannson did such a great run of the character in Avengers...

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
It was obvious from a marketing and public-perception stand-point that the best move was to go with Ms. Marvel over Captain Mar-Vell.

Knowing that, I laughed when I noticed that Skye's dad in Agents of SHIELD bears a striking resemblance to Mar-Vell if only his hair was blond (or silver).

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
While I've voiced several strong criticisms of Wonder Woman in the DC universe as a terrible female character to be held up as important or even relevant, Captain or even Ms. Marvel Succeeds nearly everywhere that I feel Wonder Woman fails.

This will be an excellent addition to Marvel film lore and is the kind of character women should be seeing. Not "boomerang Tiara, bullet proof bracelet, invisible plane, lasso of "obedience", "bondage girl".

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
I had no idea who Captain Marvel was when all those announcements were made, but the retro 70s-style logo intrigued me. Does anyone know if there's a particular reason for that? Are they planning on setting it in the past or something? It stood out a lot compared to the somewhat darker tone the other title treatments got.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
DoctorM said:

Considering they were all (A) f***ing awful and (B) their was bombing used as proof that no-one wanted a female led action movie till a couple of years back (despite the reasons they Bombed was due to the fact they were f***ing awful) people generally like to quietly forget those ever happened.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Carol Corps, represent!

Here's the thing for Carol... I'm thrilled she's getting a movie, but this is more meaningful to me considering just HOW BADLY the late 80s and early 90s treated her. She was dragged through the mud, a joke of a hero who couldn't do her job, drifting from kidnappings, comas, alocholism, and other issues that made her a punchline.

... And now she's getting her own movie. It's like watching a great comeback from the bring, going from such catastrophic lows to being a front-line success.

Even though she's fictional, I feel "proud" for her, because she's come such a long way.