Who Is Captain Marvel (And Why You Should Care)?

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
Thanks to Chris Claremont for rescuing Carol Danvers from that awful instant-baby storyline, giving her super powers again, and generally setting the tone for the modern incarnation of Captain Marvel. She even gets to browbeat the Avengers for ignoring her!

Elader

Needs more Dakka
Sep 7, 2008
Umm, I'm pretty certain Marvel has stated fairly clearly that there will be no more origin stories, starting with Doctor Strange. So I'm guessing she'll get her origin in a movie or two prior to her solo film. I really hate all the emphasis people have been putting on how big a deal it is that it's the first female superhero movie from Marvel Studios (HA eat that people who point to Electra as first from Marvel). She's one of the most enjoyable comics currently running, and she deserves to be treated as not another box to be checked, but rather that such an awesome character is finally making it big.

Also the hell, her black 70s Ms Marvel swimsuit look was pretty much just eye candy. I thought Bob was against that kind of stuff nowdays. Her latest outfit however, looks amazing and is something my wife has on her 'Must Cosplay' list.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
MatParker116 said:
Mike Hoffman said:
Even though I'm familiar with the characters, pieces like this help me to confirm that I'm not attributing facts incorrectly or mixing up origins since I'm not reading the new content as much. However, I am picking up every issue of the current Ms Marvel, and I loved this fantastic tumblr post from [a href="http://thesentencetrailsoff.tumblr.com/post/101194410597/captain-marvel-has-just-finished-the-credits-have"]thesentencetrailsoff[/a]:
Captain Marvel has just finished. The credits have rolled, the casuals have left the building. The music swells, then fades. Cut to a close up of a wall. A Captain Marvel poster is stuck up on it. Pull back to reveal a young Muslim girl putting that poster on her wall.
It would be perfect.
Kamala will probably show up a few months later in the Inhumans movie.
I am worried that Marvel would screw up her big screen appearance. I'd hate to see the character get whitewashed or be portrayed in a culturally insensitive way.

But then again I'm more worried that they would be too scared to use her at all for fear of messing up or causing offence.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid and they'll make a great movie with her in it. For what I've seen/heard they've got some great source material to go off.

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
Thanks to Chris Claremont for rescuing Carol Danvers from that awful instant-baby storyline, giving her super powers again, and generally setting the tone for the modern incarnation of Captain Marvel. She even gets to browbeat the Avengers for ignoring her!
/engage semi-rant

I understand that this is one of the FEW ways people even know about Ms.Marvel/Captain Marvel, and yes that particular story-line is/was an example of the male-centric writing and view, but its been 30 years since that storyline started and ended. The character has gone on to do so much and have much more relevant and progressive comics. I know its a bad moment in comics, but why do we let that particular instance overshadow the rest of what the character's done in the 30 years since?

I don't expect people to have read Marvel comics with Ms.Marvel/Captain Marvel for the past 30 years, hell I don't even expect people to skim a wiki on her. But I really wish that people don't run around explaining to those unfamiliar with her 'Hey its that one woman who got raped in that internet article you read that one time 5 years ago.'But I feel like thats all I've seen since this announcement. Other than 'A WIN FOR NOT-MISOGYNY' articles.

/end rant

edit:some punctuation and spelling.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Unfortunately I don't read a lot of comics so certain details escape me. Conceptually, on the basis of her powers, she sounds like a blast and I look forward to seeing her when the fights break out. However, other than her design and powers, I don't really know anything about her as a character and person, which, much like Black Widow, makes me wonder what exactly will have to happen to make either of them on par with:

-Egotistical weapon-seller who has a crisis of conscience

-Biright-eyed idealistic patriot

-Warrior-god who learns subtlety and kindness and grows into kingship

-Meek scientist harboring an unstoppable monster

-Wise-cracking raccoon with trust issues caused by experimentation

Technically, BW has more going for her with the "red in the ledger" thing, but at best she'd be a Jason Bourne knock-off. Captain Marvel would have to throw in a hell of a lot of baggage for Carroll regarding her either being an experiment and/or human who become super-human. As I've kept saying, She-Hulk just sounds all-around more interesting: character development and growth through gaining and understanding powers and re-evaluating self-worth, unique setting for both the film and within the Marvel universe, and possible sweeping ramifications with a super-hero openly working as a civilian who isn't a tech mogul or soldier and sets up social dynamics for Civil War and Inhumanity.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Mr. Q said:
Definitely. And, given that Marvel/Disney is bringing us The Inhumans, we may see Ms. Marvel enter the Marvel Cinematic Universe down the road.

As for Wonder Woman coming out before Captain Marvel, I honestly think the future of all DC movies hinge greatly on Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice doing well at the box office. DC Comics and Warner Bros are on shaky ground as it is after the Man of Steel "kerfuffle" (I love having an excuse to use words like "kerfuffle") and, if anything goes wrong with Batman V Superman, their future plans for a DC Cinematic Universe will be heavily kneecapped if not shut down completely. But its a long ways from now to 2016, so we shall see.
I've always been of the opinion that we can't truly judge DC's movies yet. Reason being is that they were right smack dab in the middle of their Dark Knight Trilogy when Iron Man came along and changed the rules of superhero films forever. Since then they've release a grand total of 3 superhero films. The Dark Knight Rises, Green Lantern, and Man of Steel. Honestly out of the three the only truly god awful one is Green Lantern. The other two are just flawed.

Still after Batman wrapped up that was the first time that they didn't have to focus on something else and could actually begin playing by the new rules. Unfortunately Man of Steel was good but not as good as it could've been and made money but not as much money as they were hoping. It really does hinge on Batman v. Superman. I say after that movie we can probably start preemptively judging their movie potential. Just think though. The possibilities if they get it right? Great time to be a fan of superheroes eh?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Robyrt said:
Well, in some respects she should be thanking Chris for making her more popular. To be blunt she got drummed out of The Avengers with that definition in part because few people really liked the character at the time. Mostly the storyline became infamous among left wingers because of how they used a "female excuse" like a rape/pregnancy for the character to be dropped off the roster and how the rest of The Avengers treated it like pretty much anyone else leaving for relative obscurity. At the end of the day she wasn't treated all that differently from other failed comics characters who couldn't even hold a spot on The Avengers. It could also be said the political hype actually wound up getting her more attention than her actual comics.

That said they have turned her into a fine character, but really I think the controversy and political "Ra ra" stuff actually detracts from her.

As far as the Muslim Ms. Marvel, I could be wrong, but I doubt she'll be getting screen time. She's less a character than another attempt at a political statement like Dust was. Had she been created in the 1990s before 9/11 or a few decades after the current tensions were over it would likely be different, but that's not the case. With the recent tensions with ISIS/ISIL and increasing problems in the US where you even have Muslim groups referring to themselves as "Muslim America" to differentiate themselves from the rest of society and some other pushes, I just don't see this playing well to audiences. She's another character that has comics that largely go right into plastic baggies and relatively few people read about, existing mostly for collectable reasons so decades later "hey, remember when Marvel tried this, it's a sign of how politics were at the time..." sort of like the Milo Morales Spider Man comics. When you look at things like "Marvel Heroes 2015" which isn't the greatest game, but has a lot of fans hanging out (because it's the Marvel game) you'll notice Kamala, Milo, and Sam Alexander all represent punch lines to jokes in terms of possible content or long term plans for the universe. Given some of the political trends there has also been a recurring joke once in a while(though not big time) about how someone is going to drop a gender/race changing bomb on Marvel causing all the white men to suddenly become black women for the next 10 years of publication. :)

That said, on the subject itself, having a Captain Marvel movie is a decent idea. They can also worry about not getting too convoluted, because without the X-men Franchise they don't have to worry too much about explaining how Rogue got her powers and fighting ability. See, what depowered Ms. Marvel was rogue absorbing her abilities permanently, and stripping them from her. Those powers people are used to Rogue having (albeit not in the movie version) are Ms. Marvel's classic power set. It could be argued that with the X-men being pretty popular at that time, and Rogue a hot ticket for female heroes and a big focus in stories at the time, that arguably she was Ms. Marvel for a while, and perhaps there was intention of doing it officially, but that never came to pass.

They do need to drop the whole political "Ra Ra" element of this though because to be blunt there have been super hero movies with both female and black leads long before now. "Catwoman" had both. Will Smith did "Hancock", We had "Supergirl", heck Mario Van Peebles (I think it was) played a super-soldier in the movie "Solo". It becomes annoying to see this being promoted and lionized as something it's not, if there was some kind of victory to be won here it happened long ago. Heck the movie "Lucy" was basically a super hero movie as well, people comparing it to being "almost" the Black Widow movie Scarlet has been pushing for. Then of course we have Angelina Jolie's career with characters like "Tomb Raider", the TV show "Dark Angel", and even "Buffy The Vampire Slayer". It's nice to see Ms. Marvel as Captain Marvel getting a movie, but let's not act like this is some kind of feminist victory. Just as I don't think people should consider "the rape of Ms. Marvel" a feminist slight when really they didn't treat her all that different from other characters getting knocked back to the archives for a while when you get down to it. What's more one could argue that the whole "Cosmic Pregnancy" thing was probably actually a good thing for the character in some ways, because that was a plot thread they could bring up years later to introduce a new character or plotline, basically a foot over the door to coming back out of the archives at some point, at least as part of backstory, which is more than a lot of characters get.

The biggest question I have about this movie (rants aside) is whether they are going to give Ms. Marvel energy powers or more of the classic "Flying Brick" power set you now see with Rogue. If they want her to be the most powerful character, sort of like Marvel's version of Superman for a while, I'm guessing it will be the former, but that strikes me as being an FX nightmare and having the potential of going wrong much like they did with Green Lantern, especially if they want her to be on the power level she had as "Binary" which could involve pretty much doing her entirely as CGI with a human face floating around in the middle of it.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Trishbot said:
Carol Corps, represent!

Here's the thing for Carol... I'm thrilled she's getting a movie, but this is more meaningful to me considering just HOW BADLY the late 80s and early 90s treated her. She was dragged through the mud, a joke of a hero who couldn't do her job, drifting from kidnappings, comas, alocholism, and other issues that made her a punchline.

... And now she's getting her own movie. It's like watching a great comeback from the bring, going from such catastrophic lows to being a front-line success.

Even though she's fictional, I feel "proud" for her, because she's come such a long way.
Sounds like you just described Tony Stark too.

Noyourjoanzy

Dec 7, 2010
Grace_Omega said:
I had no idea who Captain Marvel was when all those announcements were made, but the retro 70s-style logo intrigued me. Does anyone know if there's a particular reason for that? Are they planning on setting it in the past or something? It stood out a lot compared to the somewhat darker tone the other title treatments got.
The reason for that is astoundingly simple.
It's the font they still use.
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2013/12/Captain-Marvel-1-Cover.jpg
http://41.media.tumblr.com/f04f31e4fb18fe5ea5386d83e25cb0fb/tumblr_n3bo6wXo291t8seq8o1_400.jpg
http://40.media.tumblr.com/a8c77f59deebe6864c368d051d24a5ee/tumblr_n6pi1jwn6I1qz6egko1_1280.jpg
http://40.media.tumblr.com/3e37a0ba4aeb267eb0d1815cb6ecb727/tumblr_n866mc0khF1tdl3zuo1_1280.jpg
http://41.media.tumblr.com/1b0f68da7fbc21a402566d06f84c1d9d/tumblr_n866mc0khF1tdl3zuo2_1280.jpg

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Dominic Crossman said:
MatParker116 said:
Kamala will probably show up a few months later in the Inhumans movie.
I am worried that Marvel would screw up her big screen appearance. I'd hate to see the character get whitewashed or be portrayed in a culturally insensitive way.

But then again I'm more worried that they would be too scared to use her at all for fear of messing up or causing offence.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid and they'll make a great movie with her in it. For what I've seen/heard they've got some great source material to go off.
Speaking as a tremendous fan of her current comic series, I actually haven't noticed that Kamala Khan's religion has been much more than a flavor issue. It's been the subject of a funny joke about bacon, an excuse for her parents to enforce a curfew (which I think we can agree parents of any religion could do), and an excuse for her to talk to her religious leader...who, for the record, was a super-chill dude. I don't know if that counts as whitewashing or if it's just a good way to show how religion can be part of a character without being a defining aspect, but I lean toward the latter.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Jandau said:
DoctorM said:
To be clear, Marvel's first female solo film was Elektra.
DC has had a few already as well: Supergirl and Catwoman.

This isn't a first of any sort unless we're going to subdivide down to the first in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Then you're just reaching.
To be fair, Supergirl was so misogynistic that it made me cringe, while Elektra and Catwoman were just outright terrible to the point that I find it hard to believe that anyone was serious about those projects. In that regard, the stage is still open for a proper, well made blockbuster superhero movie with a primary female protagonist. Though what baffles me is that it's not a Black Widow film, which is something people have been clamoring for since Scralet Johannson did such a great run of the character in Avengers...
Supergirl was not so inappropriate for its time. It's just that it was a bad movie when it came out and has held up even worse over time.

Although completely divorced from its source material, I did not hate the Catwoman movie.
Elektra I forgot 5 minutes after I saw it, so I don't remember what I thought of it.

As far as a Black Widow solo movie, there is only one problem with that: Scarlett Johansson CANNOT ACT. She has a good stunt double, that is all. There is no way she could carry a movie by herself, and Marvel knows it.

The same way I know that the DC Wonder Woman movie will be a train wreck.

RolandOfGilead

Dec 17, 2010
I disagree with MovieBob, I want the red sash and yellow lightning bolt costume!
but this one is also good
http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/839/839120.jpg

Still psyched for the movie, and the rest of Marvel really. I wonder how they'll characterize them though. Not familiar with the comics but I've seen Black Panther in his very good motion comic and from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon. Hawkeye keeps ascribing a smugness to him that I don't think is there, but it's fun to watch. He seems to literally use the meta-fictional power of being a token background character to augment his ninja ways to great effect.

If it's an origin story and she does appear elsewhere, it might be interesting for her not to have a costume in her debut.
Anybody wanting an origin for Doctor Strange is advised to watch his animated movie, works well enough for me. I also liked him on the 90s spiderman.

RolandOfGilead

Dec 17, 2010
Also great is that Man Of Steel has shown us that her fights can be pretty awesome. Although I don't know how much her reactions and reflexes are enhanced. Still, she can be slammed through bedrock and into the Hudson River in the comics so I'm hopeful.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Jandau said:
Though what baffles me is that it's not a Black Widow film, which is something people have been clamoring for since Scarlett Johansson did such a great run of the character in Avengers...
To hazard a guess, I imagine part of the reason might be the salary she might try to negotiate. She is already supposedly making $20,000,000 (Yes, Twenty Million Dollars) for really a support role on Avengers 2.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/09/scarlett-johansson-avengers-pay_n_1659476.html

I find it difficult to imagine what she might demand in her own feature or (shudder) a franchise.