Who is the best fictional swordsman of all time?

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
The Choke said:
Oh, right, I forgot: Hiro Protagonist.
I forget: is Hiro actually as skilled in the real world as he is in the Metaverse? Cos if he's only that good in the Metaverse I'd be tempted to say he wouldn't count as 'no magic (read: coding shenanigans)/ peak human only'. Good pick though.

There's a lot of other great mentions here, but I haven't seen anyone bring up Skilgannon, Waylander and probably a few others from David Gemmell's books. Almost all of his heroes are impossibly good with a blade, although I'm not sure how many of them are non-magical pure humans.

The Choke

Nov 5, 2014
EDIT AGAIN TO MENTION: Read Snow Crash if you haven't. Do it. You'll love it. Do you love anime? Read Snow Crash. Trust me.

snappydog said:
The Choke said:
Oh, right, I forgot: Hiro Protagonist.
I forget: is Hiro actually as skilled in the real world as he is in the Metaverse? Cos if he's only that good in the Metaverse I'd be tempted to say he wouldn't count as 'no magic (read: coding shenanigans)/ peak human only'. Good pick though.

There's a lot of other great mentions here, but I haven't seen anyone bring up Skilgannon, Waylander and probably a few others from David Gemmell's books. Almost all of his heroes are impossibly good with a blade, although I'm not sure how many of them are non-magical pure humans.
Here I go. God help us. Spoilers follow.

So Hiro did code a lot of the rules into the Metaverse, which he mentions in his swordfight right before he first sees Da5id have a snow crash, however he mentions that it's just that he understands the universe more than other people the way that, say, the blind swordsman may understand the universe in a different or more complete (less cluttered) way. Also, you need to remember Juanita's influence on the Metaverse and Hiro's lack of understanding about Juanita and I've gone cross-eyed. (Also, Hiro mentions that he was one of many who coded the Metaverse when he's talking about their impossible machines evolving down to machines, so he's not really the God of this universe, just one of the Peak Coders who understands the universe more than others. I seriously keep coming back and editing this because I keep remembering shit. I think I have this book memorized. This is the fourth edit, I think? I remember more about this book than I do how many edits I've done to sing the praises of Stephenson's Snow Crash. BOB HELP US, I HAVE GONE COMPLETELY CROSS-EYED.)

Outside the Metaverse, however, Hiro does practice on a physical level, such as when you see him doing katas with the Redneck Katana. I think you can take the Metaverse, with his attention to detail, as a simulator but he maintains his physical form which the book is careful to make clear to you- it's why he's so comfortable chasing Raven into the... hops? It's hops, I do remember that right. [EDIT: First time he sees Raven. Right after the concert that YT goes to. Right after he meets the Gargoyle and that dude asdflkasjdfl's, y'know?]

All of this is written off of memories of reading this book a million times though I haven't read it in the last three years. Also, should be tagged with spoilers.

EDIT TO MENTION: Though Hiro helped code the Metaverse he isn't sure he is the greatest motorcyclist, for instance, which is why he's so uncertain about his race against Raven at the end. We can extend this to the rules of swordfighting, it's just that swordfighting has a leaderboard in the Metaverse and so Hiro is more confident in his position as the greatest swordsman which is why he feels comfortable including it on his business card and there it goes again.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
jhoroz said:
-snip-

The fact he handles this monstrosity with only one hand puts him ahead of most examples in this thread for me.
That only makes me think how much more effective he would be if he actually used a proper sword instead of that over-sized hunk of dead-weight. He won't get high on the combat intelligence list, let me tell you that.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
GundamSentinel said:
jhoroz said:
-snip-

The fact he handles this monstrosity with only one hand puts him ahead of most examples in this thread for me.
That only makes me think how much more effective he would be if he actually used a proper sword instead of that over-sized hunk of dead-weight. He won't get high on the combat intelligence list, let me tell you that.
Have you actually read Berserk or are aware of his feats? Because he pretty much uses that "hunk of dead weight" to cut through legions of armies like butter, with the speed of a regular sword. Not to mention that he probably crushes a majority of the examples in this thread through sheer will power and endurance.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
It depresses me that no one has mentioned Zatoichi yet. Classic blind swordsman movie series.
The one-armed swordsman series (I really only liked the first movie) is also a classic.

But before there was a Kill Bill, there was the movie series Lone Wolf and Cub which became seriously bloody films that seemed to have inspired Kill Bill. He takes out like whole armies sent after him while protecting his kid.

Also, just because Val Kilmer's fat now, lets give some props to Madmartigan.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'll vote for Ser Barristan Selmy. Arthur Dayne fanboys-and-girls will be tempted to say Arthur Dayne, but he doesn't actually do that much in the books, outside of defeating the Smiling Knight and putting up an impressive fight at the Tower of Joy. Barristan, on the other hand, has a long list of badassery to his name.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
No one has mentioned Himura Kenshin. I am disappoint son.

Rurouni Kenshin is one of my favourite mangas (anime was a bit meh) and I haven't read any Beserk or et al, so yeah Kenshin get's my vote.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
jhoroz said:
Here's a better picture:

Seems like you havent heard of one Jack Rakan.

To be clear, he can summon a sword of pretty much any size he wants. And being raised as a slave gladiator pretty much means hes a multi-melee master. And thats before you get into the actual magic he knows. And all the other shit that would eventually get him erased from existence. Twice.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
jhoroz said:
-snip-

Have you seen the shit he fights?

Even at that size his sword chips and cracks over time due to the stress of being used against such enemies. Also, due to being used against all manner of otherwordly creatures it has been infused with a certain... energy. More than that though it's symbolic for how crazy dedicated of a fighter Guts is. Everytime Guts unveils his sword in the midst of fresh spectators, the overall reaction is one of utter disbelief. And then he actually starts wielding it, and everyone freaks the fuck out.

Dec 10, 2012
Duncan Idaho fo' sho. Yes, the Dune universe definition of "swordsman" does include the use of a personal energy shield, but since it's there only to protect against bullets, hence the necessity of learning how to penetrate it with a sword, it's not breaking the thread rules.

Duncan Idaho was so good that he singlehandedly fought a legion of Sardaukar, the Emperor's elite troops, and killed something like 27 of them before he was overwhelmed. This feat alone made him such a legend, that he was literally brought back to life dozens of times over the next 3000 years in order for people to keep utilizing him for his unique sword skills.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Link is a positively godly swordsman. His skill with the shield is the perfect defense; Link has the speed to block any attack from any angle, and the strength and endurance to withstand every blow. Link can also instantly identify and zero in on an opponent's weak points for deadly strikes and unavoidable counterattacks. No magical powers involved, this is all within Link's mind.

Strider Hiryu is an insane swordsman. His Special-A class Strider mastery affords him the speed to dodge a barrage of "Shadow Tag" bullets, ammunition specifically designed to track and kill Striders, and the strength to decapitate multiple human enemies with his bare hand. Again, no magical powers; this is specialized future-ninja training with thousands of years to perfect it. Though his Cypher, as a plasma sword, could technically be considered a "magical" weapon, he's just as deadly without it. Just about any blade is enough to slice armored mech suits in Hiryu's hands and more than enough to take on biological opponents.

Jetstream Sam, from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, looks like a badass robot ninja, and thereby disqualified from this discussion... until Raiden defeats him, revealing Sam's implants were little more than a bit of armor plating. That's right, this dude was so good, he fights and (almost) kills cyber-ninjas wielding plasma swords and superhuman abilities, all without enhancements of his own.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
jhoroz said:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this guy yet...

Heh, I actually mentioned him in the OP. I'd probably give it to good old Blackswordsman guts myself (berserker guts is too overpowered for this thread). His sheer power and dirty fighting style could probably overcome anyone he ran into.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Ned Stark. He beat Ser Arthur Dayne. He maybe had some help though.

It's maybe an obscure choice, but Bremer Dan Gorst from Joe Abercrombie's book The Heroes. He's a killing machine powered by his rage over having a ridiculously high pitched voice.

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
No one... Not anyone... Even the person who said something about Baldur's Gate...
None of you mentioned the best swordsman of all.
Drizzt Do'Urden

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
trollnystan said:
No one has mentioned Himura Kenshin. I am disappoint son.

Rurouni Kenshin is one of my favourite mangas (anime was a bit meh) and I haven't read any Beserk or et al, so yeah Kenshin get's my vote.
I second this oro:)

I mean seriously in his prime the guy could cut bullets, move faster then the eye can see, and could hit with such precision that he doesn't kill people unless he wants to.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
There's only one guy I can think of...
Zorro.
No, I don't mean Zoro from One Piece.
I mean the guy that dresses in black and puts "Z" everywhere.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Dark Link - simply for style points. I mean, the guy makes black and grey look good... (Or should that be evil?) Also, none of Link's usual tactics work against him.

Otherwise, lets stick with the dark-side and pick Pyramid Head.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Rex Dark said:
There's only one guy I can think of...
Zorro.
No, I don't mean Zoro from One Piece.
I mean the guy that dresses in black and puts "Z" everywhere.
Zorro is one of the snazziest swordsmen ever. He has a great look. Just ask The Dread Pirate Roberts. He seems to think so.