Who is the best swordsman in fiction?

VodkaKnight

Jul 12, 2013
Without magical powers, probably King Bradley from FMA.
If my memory serves correctly, he managed to slice the fuses off sticks of dynamite without touching the person they were attached to.
It also took a cheap trick from a homeless serial murderer to kill him, but whatever.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
Inigo Montoya was my first thought, but i reckon either Skilgannon or Tarantio/ Dace from David Gemmell's books (I forget which exactly) would get my vote. Probably Skilgannon, since he's super awesome without any supernatural help, which I think Dace might count as being to Tarantio. Sure, Skilly can't stand up to the anime heroes and that, but he's sure as hell a massive badass and pretty realistic in his fighting skills too. So my vote is for Skilgannon.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Eh, I'll draw from a different anime, one that I can't remember if you ever actually see him use the sword, but still, this guy
I mean, think how much he kicks ass with his pistols, but now he's in super-ancient swordsman form!

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
My vote is for Will Turner, Pirates of the Caribbean.

Totally undefeated at swordplay, no special powers or equipment - just hundreds of hours of practice and cold steel.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I'd have to go with this iconic anti-hero from the pioneering pages of New Age Fantasy:

Because sometimes it helps when your sentient alien demon sword does most of the work for you!

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
littlealicewhite said:
mrhappy1489 said:
I was waiting for this. Too much anime bullshit, not enough sci-fi bullshit.
Hey I put forward Barristan Selmy, he ain't no anime pansy/ fuher king bradley.
That old, washed up milk-drinker? By the seven hells, man! Jaime Lannister was obviously superior to him![/quote]

***** please, Barristan could cut him like a cake. Besides if Barristan lost his hand, he'd still probably destroy him.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Elfgore said:
I'll nominate Drizzt Do'Urden, the Drow Ranger from the Forgotten Realms. He is a total OP badass. I think only one enemy in all of the novels can actually hold his own against him in a actual sword fight. Some assassin who's name I forget (the guy on the left). He duel wields scimitars, which I'm guessing (I know nothing about swords and swordfighting) is more difficult. He also has a panther as a partner. If I remember he doesn't even use magic, even though his race is quite famous for it.
The assassin is Artemis Entreri. Drizzt technically does not use magic but last I heard both his scimitars were magical weapons.

OT: I'm going with Darth Vader. He beat dozens of Jedi, or was it hundreds? My grasp of canon is not that of a true fan. Anyway, given that the Jedi are the Galactic Badass Squad, I'd say Vader qualifies.

....Though that does bring up the question of how far down his skills would go if severed from the Force. Precognition and enhanced reflexes are part of the powers he'd have to give up for the sake of this thread. How much is actual swordsmanship and how much is "god-given"?

AlphaAscalon

Dec 13, 2011
Sack of Cheese said:
This guy!

gilgamesh310 said:
King Bradley,Seijuro Hiko,Guts,Miyamoto Musashi,Nanashi are some badasses that immediately come to mind.
Isn't Musashi a real person though?
Miyamoto Musashi was a real, historical swordsman. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi

Unless the OP clarifies, I'm not sure if real people given fictional representations count =P

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
AlphaAscalon said:
Sack of Cheese said:
gilgamesh310 said:
King Bradley,Seijuro Hiko,Guts,Miyamoto Musashi,Nanashi are some badasses that immediately come to mind.
Isn't Musashi a real person though?
Miyamoto Musashi was a real, historical swordsman. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi

Unless the OP clarifies, I'm not sure if real people given fictional representations count =P
That's what I thought too. He doesn't have enough documentation regarding his life, his legend could be partly fictional for all we know!

gilgamesh310

May 14, 2011
Miyamoto Musashi was a real person but he's also a character in the manga Vagabond. He's a real badass in that. He starts off using a bat as a weapon but then upgrades to a katana and defeats a range of highly skilled warriors. In one of the later volumes he manages to kill 70 men at once in a battle that managed to be fairly realistic.

gilgamesh310

May 14, 2011
Hebby said:
My Elena character probably. Female human warrior. I know I am biased as hell and she doesn't count, but no one is better. End of story. She would make Wade Wilson look like a simpleton with a tooth pick.

What game is she from?

FilmDude89

Jan 6, 2013
So... Much... Anime.. Make.. It.. Stop!
Lol, but in all seriousness I'm going to have to go with Aragorn from Lord of the Rings. He's pretty much the closest thing to human that has been listed in this thread and doesn't have any supernatural anime bullshit that makes him unnaturally powerful.
Also, he's proficient with a bow when he needs to be and was trained as a ranger by the elves of middle earth.. meaning he can track targets and know exactly where someone or something is going to be at any given time.
He's got my vote.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
I would go with either this fella
or this wonderful chap

The first one(Swarmlord) gets the title through pure strength of (four) arms and a heck load of rage, whereas the second is just bloody good without any anime bulshit or Warhammer OTTness. Greatest in the realm without a hint of magical power. Good ole' Dayne.

Hebby

Dec 8, 2013
gilgamesh310 said:
What game is she from?
She was originally an Oblivion mod that we customized, refitted and ported to the Source engine for posing. The spider is from Skyrim and was ported for the same purpose.

Torkuda

Nov 7, 2013
Jubie from Ninja Scroll. Yes he has a special sword, but he's so damn good that half the time he doesn't even need it's trick ability.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
I don't know about any of the anime nonsense but seriously, how can people think Rand was the better swordsman than Lan? We must had read very different books.

I'm fairly certain Galad was a better swordsman than Rand, but Lan was definitely superior.

Dwarfare

Nov 10, 2008
I'd vote for Al'Lan Mondragoran as well. His power, speed, ability, knowledge and determination put him above all others I can think of from reasonable comparisons between worlds and styles.

*Wheel of Time Spoilers to Follow*

Rand vs Lan

I'm fairly certain Rand was never better than Lan. Lan was the premier swordsman of his age, although Demandred had more ability than Lan as far as pure swords skill was concerned, Lan was willing to sacrifice to achieve his aim, which made him better. At that point, Rand was almost pathetic, as he merely had one hand. In his exhibition with his father, all the blademasters watching, it was said that almost one of them could have taken him at that point, but still respected his determination and ability as a crippled swordsman.

My only evidence for Rand < Lan (in a purely swordsman fight) is that Rand fought Toram Riatin when he was very nearly in the full of his skill and lost. Lan then fought Toram and killed him without even breaking a sweat. Lews Therin said that Demandred was the only swordsman of the age that could best him, and Lan killed him, too. Lan trained Rand, and when Lan more or less stopped training him, he regarded him as competent, but not excellent. Rand improved much since then, but he was never a match for Lan without Saidin.

Another ten years of training rather than the three Rand had, and perhaps he might've been able to best Lan, but that was never the case, so... Al'Lan Mondragoran!

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Al'Lan Mandragoran gets my vote as well however, I bet Mat with his Ashendari would beat him if he still had his battle memories but without his crazy luck