Who is the most powerful soldier in gaming?

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Gonna go with Doomguy here. He's brought the armies of hell to their knees on more than one occasion. Also, unlike those Warhammer guys, Doomguy doesn't need tanky armor or (presumably) genetic modifications. He can kick the hell out shit just the way he is.

Plus he can punch people into a fine red paste. Never argue against a guy that can do that.

Fiend13

Apr 15, 2010
Zipzip the Penguin said:
Consider the weaponry, physical and mental abilities, strength and utility items of the soldier. Personally, I pick Doomguy. He's fast enough to outrun his own rockets, strong enough to punch his way through his enemies, and of course, he has the BFG.
While this is an entertaining question I'd ask you to put a non-zero amount of effort in such opening posts and at least broadly define the terms of your idea.

1. How do you define soldier?
2. What spectrum of games do you want to include?
3. Do you mean to compare abilities in absolute terms or in relation to specific environments of the characters?

This is important because there are for example games with Marvel/DC characters who are nearly all powerful and all knowing and could classify as soldiers at the same time.

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
Considering the technology and what he/she goes up against: Commander Shepard.

The reapers is an enemy that pretty much pales everything else in comparison. Except maybe the warhammer 40k universe, but that stuff is intentionally ridicilous so it doesnt count. :p

For those in doubt, see the already linked "never be better then commander shepard"-song for irrefutable referance material on this particular topic.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
I'd say the characters of the fallout games where allowed to join the "Brotherhood of Steel" which is a US army remnant so to speak and therefore where soldiers. The characters of the last two fallout games could be made ridiculously strong. Accidentally detonated a nuclear weapon in front of your face? No worries, eat a can of beans and walk it off.

What's a soldier? Where knights soldiers, does that count? If you, there'd be a lot of people who could throw a few fireballs at master chief. Or Lightning. Or a few dragons.
The player character in "Morrowind" would be able to defeat anything if given a few minutes to prepare potions with which to increase the strength of his alchemy skill with which he can brew stronger potions and so on. You can then make the ultimate hand-to-hand potion strong enough to kill a god with a bitchslap.

The Oblivion character can be thrown around by what is basically the devil and doesn't have to worry about much.

I guess those guys could give anyone a run for their money.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
karloss01 said:
Captain Titus of Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine, and there are thousands more like him.
Yup. If we're going on lore based descriptions, 40k space marines are hilariously overpowered and stupidly strong beyond any measure of reason.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
ChanTheNoob said:
Kratos. Why? He's the fucking god of war, that's why.
Fucking. Finally. It took 'til page two. Kratos was a Spartan Warrior, a soldier, he's mortal, yet he killed gods. Plural. Some while being a god himself, then he was mortal again and polished off the rest of Greek Mythology. The amount of damage he's caused, and that huge stomach scar, the powers he wields...the ultimate warrior.

Coincidentally, I'm playing through the original trilogy right now. Probably won't play the two spin-off PSP-ported HD ones though...

Otherwise it's a toss-up between the Prince of Persia (who fought in that war where he first got the dagger, so technically a soldier...WHO CONTROLS TIME!) and...shit I forgot, come back to me.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
I'm going to go with Captain America on this. not technically from a video game but he's been in plenty of them. and there is no way you can convince me he doesn't have a decent shot at taking down.... anyone. he would destroy master chief, or any other sissy in power armor. he's just as strong and way more agile. and he doesn't carry one but he has no problem picking up a gun or taking yours and using it on ya.

Anthadlas Babyeater

Feb 26, 2013
EHKOS said:
ChanTheNoob said:
Fucking. Finally. It took 'til page two. Kratos was a Spartan Warrior, a soldier, he's mortal, yet he killed gods. Plural. Some while being a god himself, then he was mortal again and polished off the rest of Greek Mythology. The amount of damage he's caused, and that huge stomach scar, the powers he wields...the ultimate warrior.

Coincidentally, I'm playing through the original trilogy right now. Probably won't play the two spin-off PSP-ported HD ones though...

Otherwise it's a toss-up between the Prince of Persia (who fought in that war where he first got the dagger, so technically a soldier...WHO CONTROLS TIME!) and...shit I forgot, come back to me.
But when Kratos was at his most powerfull with all his abilities, weapons and god status he wasn't a soldier anymore. The only reason he became powerfull was because he had to beg Aries after getting his army wiped out

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Anthadlas Babyeater said:
EHKOS said:
ChanTheNoob said:

But when Kratos was at his most powerfull with all his abilities, weapons and god status he wasn't a soldier anymore. The only reason he became powerfull was because he had to beg Aries after getting his army wiped out
Ahh...um...you win this round... >.<#

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
All these dumb Mon-keigh and their Space Marines.

Actually I think Space Marines are the best 'soldiers' but only because Eldar are more warriors than soldiers. A slight difference but a difference all the same.
The Eldar and their dirty, rotten, Space Elvish ways can't stand up to even the weakest of battle brothers. The might of the Emprah is absolute. May he watch over us all.

[sub][sub]I sure hope this is enough content to keep me from getting another warning, he said with a snicker and a roll of the eyes.[/sub][/sub]

volvaga55

Apr 5, 2013
Is no-one gonna mention Sam? No one? Serious Sam? Yea? No? Time warrior? Legitimate badass? The better Duke? No-one?

Fine, I agree with MysticSlayer. We shall fight to the death~
But seriously, if I had to say... Samus Aran.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
Hazy said:
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
All these dumb Mon-keigh and their Space Marines.

Actually I think Space Marines are the best 'soldiers' but only because Eldar are more warriors than soldiers. A slight difference but a difference all the same.
The Eldar and their dirty, rotten, Space Elvish ways can't stand up to even the weakest of battle brothers. The might of the Emprah is absolute. May he watch over us all.

[sub][sub]I sure hope this is enough content to keep me from getting another warning, he said with a snicker and a roll of the eyes.[/sub][/sub]
Neither human, chaos nor eldar witches compare to the masters of the physical realm. We slaughtered your masters before you were even made.

RariShyZealot

May 31, 2011
Pretty much any Astartes, yes.
Or if you count strategy, I'd say Ursakar E. Creed (others used related but not-in-a-video-game characters and so will I)
Or Scout Sargent Cyrus, soloing entire armies like a BAWS!

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Ah yes, Tactical Genius'd Imperator Titan behind a lamp post. Hard to beat that, but it will never be seen in video games just due to that memetic application.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
Anthadlas Babyeater said:
EHKOS said:
ChanTheNoob said:

But when Kratos was at his most powerful with all his abilities, weapons and god status he wasn't a soldier anymore. The only reason he became powerful was because he had to beg Aries after getting his army wiped out
Not entirely right, he just became Ares' soldier. "I was trying to make you the perfect warrior" - Aries before receiving a sharp bridge in his throat-. He still fought in an army after he became a servant of Aries, just more deadly. He got his magic capabilities after his family got murdered by.. well himself. but it was a trick. I would think he counts. He became a one man army quickly afterwards, but before Zeus made him a God, he had already killed one. He was still mortal then. Still a good little soldier who did what his superior(in this case zeus) asked him to. Take out the trash. With a bridge. made of PAIN.

And he's basically unable to really die, seeing as he runs hell now. He is quite literally the lord of hell. He took the soul of Hades. He's the definition of OP. he didn't just destroy the entire greek pantheon, he destroyed everything. the ENTIRE WORLD was kaput. nothing left. without any weapons beside murder. Hell he even killed zeus by bashing his face in with his FIST. He killed the King of Olympus by beating him to death with raw physical power. beat that Master Chief! With your power armour and your long range weaponry, Kratos is killing gods with his raw manly power while wearing a skirt.

Besides, most of the heroes described would not count as "soldier" anymore after enough gameplay, as they basically continue to destroy anything solo. The only exceptions would probably be something like master chief, but the space marines are really only used as meat shields by everyone. Nobody depends or relies or is concerned on/by any AI anymore when they are later in game.

Kratos is the best soldier ever, even if he does fight for personal gain and glory.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I would probably place them in this order:

1) Kratos - mythical god-killer armed with ancient artifacts and legendary weapons of immense power. Don't think anyone can really top this guy.
2) Prophet - immortal invisible one-man-army, easily survived falling from orbit and could probably withstand a nuclear bomb to the face by the end of Crysis 3. There is no longer a body inside that suit (no organs either), simply a mush of semi-organic nanotech that can endlessly regenerate itself combined with an AI-infused brain.
3) Master Chief - Spartan-II soldier excelling in all known forms of combat & tactics, think of him as a slightly lesser version of Prophet.'
4) Everyone else :p

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
General Revan is the most powerful soldier.

Already a top soldier in sheer terms of physicality by the standards of a galaxy with over 100 quadrillion people in the Empire alone, not counting the many star systems that are not a part of the Empire(for comparison Warhammer 40k only has a total human population of a few quadrillion from which to pick their soldiers.) he is also considered the greatest strategic/tactical mind in some 100,000 years of galactic history at least, with countless generations to choose from.

On top of his already substantial reflexes and strength he is also considered one of the best fighter pilots in the galaxy and has a genius level grasp of a great many different skills: mechanics, medicine, language. He is extremely charismatic and very persuasive. He is ambidextrous and wields two lightsabers at the same time. Lightsabers that can cut through anything that isn't a lightsaber. Which really puts a wee bit of a dampener on the armor that anyone else is wearing(be it space marine armor or master chief's.)

Not only as aforementioned is he way better than anyone else at tactics/strategy but he can see minutes into the future allowing him to perfectly counter all his opponents moves before they make them. All projectiles aimed at him will either be vaporized by the lightsaber, deflected away from him with force push, or directed right back at his attacker with force push. He can affect minds, dominating and forcing people to kill themselves. He can affect their perceptions and become invisible to them. He can crush people with sheer force power, slamming them around like rag dolls.

He has no equal that I know of.

Biodeamon said:
Commander shepard. He's cannonically killed off at least one race, not counting any of the other races that a player may have offed (geth, qaurian, etc.).

I think i just won this discussion.
The quarians are killed by the geth and visa versa for the opposite choice. The rachni queen was literally locked in a tube. I fail to see how pressing a button to execute a previously trapped creature makes one an impressive soldier. Nor uploading or choosing not to upload a piece of AI code.