Who is the world's greatest thief (real or fictional)?

metalmmaniac

Jun 30, 2009
the best is probably a thief that we don't know about.
cuz ya'know to be good, you can't get caught

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Gary Cooper. Hijacking a plane, stealing loads of cash and actually make it away without ever getting caught is in it's own way very impressive.

Datalord

Oct 9, 2008
Screw it, i'm making a kids book reference, ARTEMIS FOWL, the kid's a f*cking genius

brighteye

Feb 5, 2009
Fictional: Gollum, he stole the only object he ever wanted and kept it for over 500 years, and when a dirty little hobbit stole it from him, he chased the object of desire over a continent until he could steal it back again. one word here: determination!

Gaming: About every end-villain in any Final Fantasy game. Stealing the life force from a whole planet for your own need ( sometimes 2 or more planets) is quite evil and quite a large theft.

Real: Saddam Hussein

In March 2003, on several occasions beginning on March 18, the day before the United States began bombing Baghdad, nearly US$1 billion was stolen from the Central Bank of Iraq. This is considered the largest bank heist in history.

Approximately $650 million was later found hidden in walls in Saddam Hussein's palace by US troops. It is believed that this was the bulk of the stolen money. The remaining money is currently unaccounted for. Diyaa Habib al-Khayoun, general manager of the state-owned al-Rafidain Bank, claims that $250 million and 18 billion now worthless Iraqi dinars were also stolen, but by professional robbers unconnected to Saddam.

In March 2003, a hand-written note surfaced, signed by Saddam, ordering $920 million to be withdrawn and given to his son Qusay. Bank officials state that Qusay and another unidentified man oversaw the cash, boxes of $100 bills, being loaded into trucks during a five hour operation. Qusay was later killed by US troops in a firefight.

It is possible that history will tell us that Dick Chaney in the end have "stolen" more money
with all those friends in middle eastern companies, Halliburton is the most visable one but we have also those oil and gas agreement between Turkey and India via pipeline in Irak where Dick basicly is both byer and seller, but the map of all those affairs is so far so fragmented that i leave him as a possible future candidate.

I also leave out the Nazis for the same reason, it would be interesting to know how much stolen art that the Americans bombed to dust in Monte Cassino, but after the loss of over 50 000 men, who can blame them.

Apart from the reason above, is it really theft when the things are given by coherson ? Well the church have sto... collected more wealth than any other organisation on the planet.
Not bad when you are reading from a book that tell you that "it´s easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than a rich man to enter heaven."

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
brighteye said:
Intersting arguement for Saddam Hussein as the World's Greatest Thief". I didn't know any of that. I need to keep up with current events more.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
Scikosomatic said:
TIMESWORDSMAN said:
Or maybe The Phantom but nobody remembers who he is.
Lol...I remember him and his skull ring...even the movie.
And I say Garrett from Thief!
AH HA!
I remember that Phantom but I was talking about a different Phantom.
I was refering to a Phantom that was in an old movie whose namesake is that of certain pink bipedial feline.

(And if that's not a good enough hint than I don't know what is.)