Who is your favourite fictional character and why?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Smithnikov said:
Zaphod Beeblebrox (The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

This guy is pretty much most everything I wish I was. Fearless. Hedonistic. Charismatic. Confident to the point of transcendence.
But he's dim. He's an idiot. He's like Archer, although without the mild Autistic lust for knowledge, and twice as bad at fucking up!

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I like Twilight Sparkle, because she reminds me of myself, being a bit geeky and something of a bookworm.

Fluttershy also reminds me of myself, what with her being rather shy and kindhearted with a love of animals.

And Discord is always fun to watch. Being voiced by John DeLancie doesn't hurt either.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Silentpony said:
Smithnikov said:

This guy is pretty much most everything I wish I was. Fearless. Hedonistic. Charismatic. Confident to the point of transcendence.
But he's dim. He's an idiot. He's like Archer, although without the mild Autistic lust for knowledge, and twice as bad at fucking up!
A fair trade off. Way better a sentient being than I am.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Smithnikov said:
Silentpony said:
Smithnikov said:

Don't sell yourself short. Beeblebrox is about as sentient as a panini press, and a press that failed European history 101 and spent its entire life in diapers while squirrels consistently stole its girlfriends.

To be Beeblebrox is to be the literal joke of the story, with no chance of improvement. Beeblebrox is the Trump of the Galaxy, except without the charisma, big dick, or cleverness.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Hoooboy.

I can't pick one, so I'll ha--

Come to think of it, I can pick one. Wolverine.

But to be more inclusive:

Live-Action TV
The Doctor
Titus Andromedon
Kimmy Schmidt
Rupert Giles

Animated Series
Louise Belcher
Homer Simpson
Eric Cartman
BoJack Horseman
Mozenrath
Malone from Highlander: The animated series

Live-action movies
Darth Vader
Rufus T. Firefly (and all the other interchangeable Groucho Marx characters)
Paul Smecker
Heath Ledger's Joker

Comic books
Wolverine
Venom
Spider Jerusalem
Superman
John Constantine
Tommy Monaghan
Kamala Khan
Delirium of the Endless
Batman
Doctor Doom

Literature
Don Quixote
Holden Caulfield
Mr Darc.. ahahahaha no.
Lord Vetinari
Sam Vimes
Ibram Gaunt
Hermione Granger
Mad Larkin
Jenny Lawson (her autobiographies are partly fictionalized, so she counts :p )

Light novels
Kino
Haruhi Suzumiya
Izaya Orihara

Manga
Arale-chan from Dr. Slump
Alita
Ittō Ogami and Daigoro
Dorian Red Gloria
Nao Takanashi (Seriously, she's a hidden comedy gem!)

Video games
Solid Snake
Samus Aran
Konoko from Oni

Stage plays
Vladimir and Estragon
The phantom of the opera
Mercutio

Podcasts
Cecil Palmer
The faceless woman who secretly lives in your home (Well, at least I t h i n k she's fictional, but I opened up my copy of Infinite Jest the other day and what do you know...)

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I have to go with Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Mostly because while I'm reading that series (told almost entirely from Harry's POV) its usually kind of strange how much his thoughts about whatever situation he's in parallel mine. Although its not too difficult to see why. In an interview with the author Jim Butcher, he was asked about the kind of books he read. I was in my room reading that article, and every book he named was on the bookshelves just to my right.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Bender from Futurama. Not because of particular depth or amazing complexity, but specifically for the lack of such qualities: He is just as bad, and even worse, as he seems to be. There's no tragic backstory or some justification for his personality, it's just how he is. Just when you think he's hit rock bottom, or you think he might have some redeeming qualities, he pulls the rug from under your feet and finds all new ways to be despicable. If Futurama weren't a comedy, he'd be horrifying. But as a kleptomaniacal, mean-spirited, alcoholic, psychopathic, homicidal, hateful, lazy, ignorant, cheating, conniving, shallow, egomaniacal, selfish, violent, greedy, foul mouthed, rude, ass-kissing, morally reprehensible and all around horrible robot he is, he's utterly lovable. When you stop and think about it, he's one of the most morally bankrupt characters ever created. Bojack Horseman gives a good example of what this kind of character would be like in the real world: nauseatingly unpleasant and despicable in every conceivable way, but Futurama circumvents that with its setting.

Toph from Avatar: TLA (my avatar might have given a hint) comes as a close second. She has just the right amount of sarcastic wisecracking without becoming Joss Whedon levels of insufferable, and her brash, take-no-shit attitude makes her one of the most engaging characters in the canon.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Pessimal: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Your Grace.
Vimes: I know that one. "Who watches the watchmen?" Me, Mr. Pessimal.
Pessimal: Ah, but who watches you, Your Grace?
Vimes: I do that, too. All the time. Believe me.

Why? Because he's the sort of person I wish there were more of in the world. He's a 'Lawful Good' type that's not only incredibly believable, but also sympathetic, compelling, and even aspirational.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
- Slit from Mad Max: Fury Road.
Huh?

That's a bizarre choice.

I mean, nothing against the character or the movie or anything, but isn't it like saying your favourite character is Soldier#5 from War Movie The Movie

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zhukov said:
Casual Shinji said:
Huh?

That's a bizarre choice.

I mean, nothing against the character or the movie or anything, but isn't it like saying your favourite character is Soldier#5 from War Movie The Movie
Sometimes certain smaller characters will stand out to me, and I just sort of end up falling in love with them. Slit is one of those. He's just so delightfully crazed and I enjoyed every second he was on screen. He also gets a radical death scene, one he probably lived his whole life toward getting.

I guess it's that he's relatively insignificant yet makes a proper impact. Max and Furiosa are great, but they're the main characters so it's kind of a given that they should be. Slit did not need to be this good.

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Zhukov said:
Casual Shinji said:
Huh?

That's a bizarre choice.

Sometimes certain smaller characters will stand out to me, and I just sort of end up falling in love with them. Slit is one of those. He's just so delightfully crazed and I enjoyed every second he was on screen. He also gets a radical death scene, one he probably lived his whole life toward getting.

I guess it's that he's relatively insignificant yet makes a proper impact. Max and Furiosa are great, but they're the main characters so it's kind of a given that they should be. Slit did not need to be this good.
But Slit was a jerk. He wasn't even supportive of his fellow War Boys. Trying to killsteal from Maraslov and then demeaning his death as mediocre? What a dick.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
BiscuitWheels said:
But Slit was a jerk. He wasn't even supportive of his fellow War Boys. Trying to killsteal from Maraslov and then demeaning his death as mediocre? What a dick.
Yeah, but he was a great jerk.

What would movies be without them?

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
BiscuitWheels said:
Yeah, but he was a great jerk.

What would movies be without them?
Okay, granted. He was a bastard, but he was all in on it.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I like vegeta because he's misterius and dark and doesn't isn't bad guy anymore but still more cool than goku who is lame vegeta is the strongest which is why I indentify with vegeta because he can explode planets and laugh which is what I do is.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Nickolai77 said:
If I were to choose one, it would be Uhtred of Bebbenburg from the Warlord Series.
High five! I like him too.

I'm tempted to just point at my avatar, who is similar to Uhtred in many aspects, but like others have said it's a broad question... and there's a few others on that same show I could point to as well.

I guess my favourites tend to be people who are flawed, live in a grim setting and can be led astray themselves, but never stop trying to improve the world around them to reduce its average misery quotient, and are willing to admit when they've made mistakes in that effort and then try again in a different way. That's what I want to be, and I already have the flawed and grim setting parts down. A few such people off the top of my head:

MCU's Tony Stark
DCAU's Batman
Yuna in Final Fantasy X

Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars EU, at least before his soul is broken. Even then, he doesn't exactly turn evil, just kind of apathetic.

Keisuke Takagi from Devil Survivor, who some have compared favourably to Light Yagami. But unlike Mr. 'God of the New World MWAHAHA', he has the integrity to be able to repent his mistakes and admit that the power went to his head... IF you can act quickly enough save him from himself.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
It's probably always going to be Superman. I just like the idea of this character who does the right thing not because of some deep trauma, but because it's the right thing to do.

*edit* Damn, some really good ones in this thread. Sam Vimes is definitely way up there. Pearl, too.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Silentpony said:
Smithnikov said:
Silentpony said:
Smithnikov said:

Don't sell yourself short. Beeblebrox is about as sentient as a panini press, and a press that failed European history 101 and spent its entire life in diapers while squirrels consistently stole its girlfriends.

To be Beeblebrox is to be the literal joke of the story, with no chance of improvement. Beeblebrox is the Trump of the Galaxy, except without the charisma, big dick, or cleverness.
How many prototype starships have you managed to heist lately? How many girlfriends can you get just by telling them "I'm from another planet, baby." ?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Tyrion Lannister for me.

He's educated, witty and composed, and he always seems to know what to say in any situation. I have a real fondness for characters who can accomplish anything with their words.

He's not the only intelligent and silver-tongued character in the show, but he does seem to be the only one who wields this skill with a conscience, rather than just using it to win the political game. Also, he's often the one who puts the more reviled characters in their place when they start to bare their fangs.

BlackJesus

Aug 31, 2014
Harry Dresden. He's a wizard PI with a seemingly pathological need to snark off to things much more powerful than he is, and Chronic Hero Syndrome. He drives around in a beat-to-shit VW Beetle, wears a coat that looks like it belongs on the set of El Dorado, and can throw around fireballs like nobody's business.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Waldo Butters from The Dresden Files. If you've read the books, you know why. His growth from disposable sidekick character, to something significantly more, and his personal motivations for doing so, are some of my favorite character developments in writing.

The Lava Monster from Samurai Jack, Season 1 Episode 10. I cry every time I watch this episode, because this character is just so fucking awesome. He totally upstaged Jack in his own tv show. Just, everything about him, the performance by the voice actor, all of it. Fucking fantastic.

The friar guy from Van Helsing (played by the actor in Iron Fist as papa Meatcham). My god I loved this character. He was comic relief, but he was COMPETENT comic relief. He always had the thing the hero needed to save the day, even had his own dramatic badass moment where he's swinging on a rope across a bottomless pit to grab the McGuffin, in the middle of a thunderstorm, catches it, and hurls it to the hero to beat the Bad Guy. Hell, he even gets laid, and the hero didn't even pull that off. He was just a delight every time he was on the screen.

Bicycle Hero (I forget his specific hero name in One Punch Man). He knows he's not super powerful. He knows he will likely die fighting the things they are sent against, but he still goes anyway. Because he chose to defend others, to his last breath. And he will fight until that last breath, no matter how futile. Because to turn away is to turn his back on those he swore to protect, and he'd rather die than do that. That scene of him in the rain, facing off against that Fish King character, fucking awesome.

Leto from Sense 8. Holy fuckballs do I love this guy! xD First off, the actor playing him is awesome. He's so damn hilarious, and seems to be genuinely having a blast playing this sort of comic relief character in the show. But even while his character is mostly played for laughs, there are some really deep emotional threads working through his story, and one scene, where he stops running from himself, and faces up to his problems, that was just fucking great. It was simultaneously hilariously over the top, and awesome at the same time. Plus, I genuinely love his relationship with his lover. The two of them have great chemistry on screen.