Who makes the better villain? Men or women? Or rather, who do you love to hate more?

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
GLaDOS was actually a female originally and although she (it) makes a fair enough villain its really only capable of doing it in a cartoonish logical (whacky) computer way
i hate to say it but i can't think of a single decent female villain ever. pretty much any example i can think of lacks the certain over the top psychopathic lack of compassion that turns a villain from disney cartoon to kill first maybe ask questions later sorta deal

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
In theory either gender should be good for this role.

In practice though, if i were to make my list of favorite villians, its mostly male names , but this is likely more reflective of the media i've experienced in which the villians usually are guys and if there are female characters, there are either on the good side or a female sidekick to the big bad with redeemable quality.

After a bit of thinking though, i know i remember some good ones in anime, but being mainly a consumer of western media their names escape me. Guess japs make the best evil women.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Abomination said:
Everyone knows men make better villains because men are better than women.
wouldnt that make men worse than women if they were better villians?

on to the topic at hand, there is only one female villian that I like that I can remember. Knight commander Meredith from dragon age 2. I think it is just easier to want to kill men, in most games you are killing men by the hundreds, not women.

Look at Borderlands 2 with Handsome Jack and the Sheriff. Both equally evil individuals, but I felt nothing for the Sheriff went i fought her, she was just part of a quest. Handsome Jack on the other hand I wanted to murder his A$$ towards the end. Granted one got a hell of a lot more screen time than the other.

Most of the female villians in games or movies either has you feeling sorry for them or they are that way because a guy screwed with their head and it is all their fault.

There is no reason why someone couldnt make a good female villian, but it is easier for me to hate a male villian than a female one.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I personally think Dr. Blight was a rather good female villain, but that's ages ago.

As for who makes a better villain, that point is kind of moot because it all depends on the writers. Villainy shouldn't be gender dependant but it seems that especially in the Western media, writers seem to be uncomfortable with making women irredeemable villains, for reasons for them to know and us to guess at (and guess we shall, I suppose!).

Basically, it's not a gender thing, or, if you allow me to drop a slightly controversial statement, it might be a gender thing, but it doesn't have anything to do with the gender of the villain.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
If done right, ether gender can be a great villain.

However, why didn't you include "it" as an option too? Just look at GLaDOS.

Despite it's not really a "female" or "male", the machine has a thing for being a well developed antagonist in Portal.
Also who would lie to you about having cake as an award? That's just overall rude.
I would count Glados as female, given her uhh... root directory. (Or some other computer analogy.)

OT: Other than Glados, I can't even think of a female villain, let alone one to weigh against male ones.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Y'know, I'm getting sick of these men vs women dichotomy bs forum threads. Knock it off. You know who makes the best villains? The villains with a little bit of depth. What the hell does a person's gender have to do with that? Or maybe you're asking who people have more fun beating into the ground... someone with male bits of female bumps.

I mean, really, it's getting a bit tired.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
smithy_2045 said:
Good villains can be of either gender.
Politically correct answer without any substance whatsoever. If you have an actual opinion and not something the society thought you, you shouldn't be afraid to express it.

My answer is male villains. I never found female villains interesting. They just end up being shallow every time.

No writer (in my opinion) was ever able to write a female villain with enough depth to make her as entertaining as a male villain. Which is a cultural "issue", actually. Throughout human history and even today males have been the dominant gender in positions of power. They represent authority. Most women (this is an evolutionary fact, like it or not) are attracted to male confidence and social status. So all of that makes males natural choices for villains. They are easier to write and easier to believe in. It's not sexist. It's the way of the society. Blame evolution if you want because it's the only thing you can do. Women are hardwired differently than men. Again, evolution at work. There are very few women in this world that crave for the kind of power and influence that men strive for.

What some people don't seem to understand is that this is a good thing for human reproduction process. Most women can't act like male villains. We have the need to procreate and we evolved as hunters. The "role" of women in a hunter-gatherer society was to bring babies into this world and nurture them while men hunt for food and provide for the family. The way we go about this might have changed, but the overall idea remains the same. It would be disastrous for our species if women had the same level of testosterone as men. This isn't something that can change either. Regardless of what some feminists would like to think. You can't change an entire race on a biological level. Only evolution can do that and it takes a hell of a long time and a pretty good damn reason. And that is out of our hands.

And before you start, I'm not saying that women should stay at home, cook and raise babies. We're past that in the West. Of course women should have the same rights and the same chance as men to succeed in any area of life they are interested in. But don't forget babysitters. They are still largely female and we all prefer them to be female. So in reality, nothing's really changed except the details of how we do things. I mean, we still fight for the best territory and food except in a form of prime real estate and job hunting instead of declaring a war on another neighborhood. We have nationwide wars for resources nowadays under the guise of "fighting for democracy" when it reality we all know it's for resources.

So anyway, when you want to design a good female villain, don't make her motivation be something selfish that a typical man would want or something born out of envy and desire for revenge.

I think someone like The Illusive Man could also be the Illusive Woman, though. Even though TIM was power hungry, he was also interested in uplifting humanity. Also, Patricia Tannis from Borderlands would be an interesting villain. The fact that she's an awkward introvert who doesn't give a shit about human interaction or humans in general makes her perfect. She doesn't want to rule over anyone. She just wants to do her science stuff. Her total disregard for human life would make her one hell of a villain. But still, she's my favorite Borderlands character and I'd hate to have to kill her.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Genocidicles said:
This might sound a bit sexist, but I'd say male villains, because I find it hard to find a woman threatening.

Not to say that there aren't women who I'd feel threatened by in real life, but you rarely see female villains in media who are built like brick shithouses.
Oh how I was hoping to find the first person to say this.

And these are only movies I've seen and can recall off the top of my head. I don't know what movies you've been watching, but neither male nor female villains have to be "built like brick shithouses" in order to be threatening.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Ha!

The best villains don't have a gender. They're malevolent otherworldly entities you don't understand the first thing about.
What they have between their legs is the last thing you worry about.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
Man definetly man. Don't get me wrong woman can be decent villains too, but those generally are of the Disney type of villains, evil ? yes, wicked ? yes, cruel ? yes, but truly great villains ? No. Can anyone honestly claim that the evil step mother of Snow white or any female Disney villain could ever hope to compare to a villain like Scar? The thing is, the best villains aren't evil, or even cruel. They are just extremely selfish and extremely intelligent (Lex Luthor, Nicolas cage in Lord of War, Agent Smith etc etc). They want power or riches or just enjoy being a clever villain, and they don't care of the fate of others. I've yet to seen a female villain portraits that well.
-edit-
I forgot about Malificent in Kingdom Hearts, that's a great villain

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
In general gender doesn't matter as long as the villain is a compelling character in their own right and presents a credible threat to the hero(es) in whatever way that needs to manifest for the story to make sense.

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
Lilani said:
Genocidicles said:
This might sound a bit sexist, but I'd say male villains, because I find it hard to find a woman threatening.

Not to say that there aren't women who I'd feel threatened by in real life, but you rarely see female villains in media who are built like brick shithouses.

And these are only movies I've seen and can recall off the top of my head. I don't know what movies you've been watching, but neither male nor female villains have to be "built like brick shithouses" in order to be threatening.
I agree. In fact, I don't find people "built like brick shithouses" particularly threatening in real life either. The only thing that might be worth mentioning is that, generally speaking, I find the depiction of women in media to be more frequently plagued by 'weaker' stereotypes than males - but this is a product of bad writing rather than one gender being greater than the other at playing a villian.

Also; adding the the list:

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Genocidicles said:

I have to wonder where the fear of "brick shithouses" comes form in games. At least in my experience heavy types are always some of the easiest to fight. They always just look slow and awkward to me easily dogged, stabbed and/or shot.

on topic though I think good writing makes the best villains. you can kinda grade gender on a writing quality though. for the most part from what I have seen.

Poor writing: male, monster > female Most bad writers in video games are not sure how to make a female villain.
average writing: male,female > monster Monsters with generic writing tend to be more boring than people.
good writing: all equal

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Lilani said:
I don't know what movies you've been watching, but neither male nor female villains have to be "built like brick shithouses" in order to be threatening.
Well they do for me. I find it hard to be scared by someone who looks like I could push them over, so I'll give you the Red Queen and Ursula, and maybe Maleficent because she turns into a dragon. I'd give you GLaDOS, but I find her too funny to be threatening.

It's not just that either to be honest. A lot of female villains are beautiful or friendly looking, which makes them less intimidating to be honest.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Well, it's not really anything inherent, but all of the great villains I've seen are men. Most female villains are just kind of dull and not very interesting. Still, that's more the writers' fault and not the genitalia's.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
either gender can be equally good or equally bad. in terms of video games and anime however, id say men usually make better villains because it seems less common to find a well written female character

CJMacM

Mar 21, 2010
They both make pretty great villains, although I think most of my favourite villains are women. It's more of a personal preference thing, and I don't think women are always better villains. I think part of it has to do with the fact that villainous women aren't always done so well, so when there's one I like, she sticks out in my mind more.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
Lilani said:
Genocidicles said:

But none of those villains are truly great ! Well maybe for the exception of Maleficent in the KH series. Owh I'm not saying that they're not evil, not threatening or not wicked. But they all lack that certain deattachment and desire of power. I mean can you honestly say that any of those villains (again with the exception of Malificent) could ever compare to a villain such as scare?

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
knight steel said:
game-lover said:
So I was reading the Fairy Tail manga all caught up on the character arc and there's a current chick antagonist that I want to murder because she has ALL MY HATRED at the moment.

And that's when I started thinking and remembering stuff. And lots of wondering? So now I'm just asking you people.

Title is self-explanatory, it is. Let's hear your thoughts.

Feel free to give examples or whatever.
You wouldn't be talking about the incredible sexy and great character that is Minerva!
She can choke on a stick and be eaten by dragons...

In other words, yes.