Who should Disney trust with Star Wars if they drop EA?

Sep 24, 2008
We don't need to rehash the stupidity EA has done with the Star Wars rights. Their successes are few and far between.

Disney is now becoming vocal with their displeasure. EA has taken a 3 billion dip in their stock value. We keep saying EA doesn't deserve it.

So who does?

The amount of spectacle that Star Wars deserves in the hearts and minds of fans is stellar, if you'll forgive the pun. What development company has the skill to put together what we've always wanted to see in a Star Wars game? More over, which company has the money to actually accomplish it?

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I really dont know or particularly care tbh as although I like Star Wars I am far from a huge fan. However I would not like Activision Blizzard, Ubisoft or and of the 3 main console holders get it. Valve would also be a bad choice imo but I think they have lacked any ambition for creation since HL2 er maybe CD Project Red might be a good bet even though they are ofc owners of GOG they have proven they can make good games and not hold them captive to their service and at least so far have refrained from abusive DLC practices and if they continue to make good games that do not milk their customers it just makes the games are expensive so we need to argument even weaker especially when joined with what Ninja Theory did with Hellblade and hopefully will continue to do going forward.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
At this point I think I would take almost anyone over EA, mainly because all other companies would be put on alert if they got the property.

"Okay guys, EA messed up the un-mess-able, and Disney spit them out. We can't afford to do the same. This has to be perfect."

Fear will keep the local companies in line. Fear of this corporation.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Why do they have to hand it out to just one publisher/developer? Either:

a) They hold the licence, developers come to them with an idea, Disney approves it or not.

b) They develop ideas, hand it off to developers/bid it.

Seemed to work well enough in the past, when Star Wars games came from numerous sources.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Naughty Dog. Naughty Dog have shown time and again with the Uncharted series that they can do whizz bang shooty fun with epic looking set pieces, as well as having quiet and subdued story bits with pretty graphics. I think they would be the perfect fit for the Star Wars games. Well they would be if they weren't owned by Sony and the only people who got to play it would be PlayStation owners.

If you are insisting on everyone being able to play it, then maybe the same team at Crystal Dynamics who did the rebooted Tomb Raider games as they are pretty much copying Uncharted at the moment. I would maybe get someone who is maybe involved in writing for the films to write the script for the game though and maybe some decent voice actors too.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I just wish for a Single Player version of Star Wars: The Old Republic, and no I mean I want the aesthetic, lore, Race/Class options and open world gameplay of SWTOR as a Single Player game than a KOTOR 3.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Don't give exclusive rights a single publisher/dev team. Let people present a game idea and if they like it let them make that specific game.
But here's just one idea I had that I totally havn't being repeatedly said since early 2005. Try to make a deal with, let's say, Obsidian and Chris Avellone to make a sequel to... I dunno, Knights Of the Old Republic 2 maybe? And, just floating it there, Obsidian may completely ignore The Old Republic and the novel Revan (because FUCK that piece of absolute SHIT!) and let them do what the feel is best for the game.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
They're not exactly the most consumer friendly, but I'd vote for Bethesda. A Jedi Knight game in the vein of the new Doom would be fucking awesome. An Elder Scrolls/Fallout open-world Star Wars game would be amazing too.

And to carry on @spartandude's point, Beth has previously worked with Obsidian before. They could easily farm out a KOTOR-esque game to them.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh OH! Frictional Games! I want Amnesia themed Star Wars games! Will space horror, space spiders, isolation, and Sith, there's plenty to work with.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
2003's Bioware. Then one that brought us the first (and best) Knights of The Old Republic.
Fat chance, I know.

CDProjekt Red would also be viable.
My fear there is that they would use the dreaded over-the-shoulder cam. No thanks.

Despite never having played it, I would also agree with this:
Samtemdo8 said:
I just wish for a Single Player version of Star Wars: The Old Republic, and no I mean I want the aesthetic, lore, Race/Class options and open world gameplay of SWTOR as a Single Player game than a KOTOR 3.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I mean it depends on what you want in your Star Wars game. You typically aren't going to get Jedi Knight, KotoR, old Battlefront, or that RTS that was around from any one source.

CDPR or Bethesda both seem to not really focus on multiple projects, or really deliver on schedule, which Disney is going to want to alongside their movie releases (Although on Bethesdas side the idea of an Arkane jedi/sith game is kind of interesting, it seems somewhat in their wheelhouse).

Take Twos mess of studios could probably do good work with it, but you're absolutely playing the roulette wheel there. And most of the options are bad.

Ubisoft can do decent work, but they don't have enough ideas for all their existing franchises. And Dark Messiah (which was about the best stylistic fit for a Star Wars game was Arkane who're with Bethesda now).

Activizzard has the distinction of actually having Raven Software on board, but probably not any of the actual team that did Jedi Knight.

Going out on a limb, I doubt they'd be dealing with most of the Japanese companies, or anything down in the AA tiers.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Seth Carter said:
(Although on Bethesdas side the idea of an Arkane jedi/sith game is kind of interesting, it seems somewhat in their wheelhouse).
This thought also crossed my mind. Arkane has alot of potential.

Though I kinda want to let Arkane work on their own stuff, cause Dishonored and Arx Fatalis are awesome and their own original IPs. Still, if they take ideas from those games and use it in a Star Wars setting, I'd be down.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Honestly, they should open up the license to everyone not just one developer or publisher. The reason why I say that is well get a larger variety of star wars games in the long run. What did EA give us with a huge license? Two battlefront games. Thats it. One kind of game and both are inferior to the one that was released years ago on the original xbox and ps2. We didnt get a new knights of the old replubic, we didnt even get a new series. Its easy to say thats because EA is creativly bankrupt but I cant stand here and honestly say that any one developer should have sole access to the star wars license when everyone could make good games from it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't really trust any major Publisher tbh. I think I've made that painfully clear in other posts.

Hawki said:
Why do they have to hand it out to just one publisher/developer? Either:

a) They hold the licence, developers come to them with an idea, Disney approves it or not.

b) They develop ideas, hand it off to developers/bid it.

Seemed to work well enough in the past, when Star Wars games came from numerous sources.
I do like this idea though.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Bioware dropped their DnD and Star Wars licenses and made some of their greatest games/worlds and franchises as soon as they got some creative free reign and produced Mass Effect and Dragon Age...
And then Bioware killed both of those franchises by mismanagement.

So, can I pick early 2000's Bioware instead?

OR, as a PC guy, I've been playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 recently and I think Larian Studios could both use the money and put out a great RPG. Divinity: Original Sin 2 plays somewhat like XCOM when there's combat, which probably is the most practical fit for both Star Wars capital ship battles (like the table top games) and the mix of melee (lightsaber, gaffi sticks, vibroblades) and ranged (blasters, bowcasters) and magic (the force).

These types of games never sell as well as a Battlefront type game and I don't think kids these days really get hard over CRPGs anymore, but that would be my pick.

Technically, Factor 5 is still around and I would love to see another Factor 5 Star Wars Rogue Squadron.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Also, I really wouldn't mind a Star Wars skinned FTL or FTL/roguelike type game, so Subset Games is another choice.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Might I suggest they do what Games Workshop is doing with Warhammer and license the franchise out to multiple developers are carrying levels of size? Extra Credits recently did a video on how it's kinda working for them.

Though maybe not to the same degree and with a little restraint?